PDA

View Full Version : Moose opens tomorrow!!

Sitkaspruce
08-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Tomorrow is Aug 15th, Moose open up here in the Peace for any bull!!!!

But it is too damn HOT!!! +31 tomorrow, supposed to get cooler next week....+25, with hopefully some rain, been 47 days without any measurable amount. Fires in Pink Mountain and the Graham, with smaller ones popping up all over.

Good luck to all who are heading out.

Cheers

SS

Steelpulse
08-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Eeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrraaaaah. Eeeerrrrah

bridger
08-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Staying close to home until we get a weather change!

HarryToolips
08-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Have never been up there for that hunt, have never taken anything bigger than deer or black bear, but I'm very interested in doing it in the future when I have more time..no way it was going to work out this year...I'm assuming it would be packed with hunters everywhere for that moose season?? A small SUV and my legs with strong willpower enough for a hunt like this?? I imagine on a warmer day I wouldn't want to venture too far from any road though, or as long as I get the meat in a creek plus in shade in cheesecloth with black pepper going to defeat the heat and bugs...??

604redneck
08-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Have never been up there for that hunt, have never taken anything bigger than deer or black bear, but I'm very interested in doing it in the future when I have more time..no way it was going to work out this year...I'm assuming it would be packed with hunters everywhere for that moose season?? A small SUV and my legs with strong willpower enough for a hunt like this?? I imagine on a warmer day I wouldn't want to venture too far from any road though, or as long as I get the meat in a creek plus in shade in cheesecloth with black pepper going to defeat the heat and bugs...??
If u shoot it off I the bush a bit quarter it and bone out and get it chilled quick if on the road hide on gut and slice from jaw to asshole pack full of ice and drive home get it into cooler asap

Vladimir Poutine
08-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Well for those who will bag one in this heat they are going to have to be quick. Maybe they should just eat it right there and then:-D Good luck to all.

Caribou_lou
08-14-2014, 10:14 PM
I shot a bull September 22 in 2012 and it was 22 degrees by 10am. There were some flys. Just had to get it to a cooler ASAP. Meat was great. Lots of fat.

Liveforthehunt
08-14-2014, 10:53 PM
Yea I shot one 2012 as well and it was 28degrees sept 27th record breaking temps just have to be quick within 3 hours all meat out of bush to the hanger

leadpillproductions
08-15-2014, 12:12 AM
Ive killed a few on the opener have to be quick . Not even wasting time and money this year tell its cooler out ,hopefully sept is cooler than this . Plus killing a bull in august just wrecks hunting them in the rut way to much fun.

markomoose
08-15-2014, 02:10 AM
I gotta wait till nov 1 to look for my bull.LEH BABY

nap
08-15-2014, 02:27 AM
Whats a moose??

markomoose
08-15-2014, 02:29 AM
You live in PG and ask the question?

Fisher-Dude
08-15-2014, 06:28 AM
Get the hide off FAST and get that neck opened up, or it will bone sour really quickly.

If it ain't on the road, keep drivin' IMO!

HarryToolips
08-15-2014, 06:29 AM
If u shoot it off I the bush a bit quarter it and bone out and get it chilled quick if on the road hide on gut and slice from jaw to asshole pack full of ice and drive home get it into cooler asap

Wicked thanks...I'm thinkin id get a 4' x 8' utility trailer, put a freezer on it with a portable honda generator, and take that up with me, good idea or not??

ElliotMoose
08-15-2014, 07:10 AM
Cant imagine heading up for a moose hunt in this heat but have tasted meat from buddies who have shot them this time of year. Fantastic! HarryToolips- That's a great idea. I know of a few guys who do this. Saves you from shuttling back and forth from the butcher

steel_ram
08-15-2014, 07:23 AM
Wonder how many get wasted in the heat by hunters without a plan.

nap
08-15-2014, 07:42 AM
You live in PG and ask the question?

Joking!!!!

Fisher-Dude
08-15-2014, 09:25 AM
Wonder how many get wasted in the heat by hunters without a plan.

I was at my butcher's last year to drop off a deer I shot a few hours earlier, September heat. I thought he was very diplomatic when some guys brought in a moose from up north...he said to them "Don't take this personally, but this moose is just too well-aged for me to bring it into my shop."

He then gave them a list of other butchers who may take their ripe moose. That's why I stick with him...I have no fear of any sour meat hanging beside my Grade A Prime Venison in his cooler!

Sitkaspruce
08-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Wicked thanks...I'm thinkin id get a 4' x 8' utility trailer, put a freezer on it with a portable honda generator, and take that up with me, good idea or not??

Harry

Saw tow groups heading up on Wed that had that exact set up. 9 ft3 freezer and two generators. At least they are set up for the weather. Good to see. The big problem up here is the lack of hanging space, not much around here and they fill up fast with the local's moose. Have been thinking about building a walk in cooler just for hanging, but the wife gives me the stink eye when ever i think about it....

Cheers

SS

big game chaser
08-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Don't matter how quick you are you aren't qui kino ugh unless it's dropped into a freezer in this weather!

markomoose
08-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Joking!!!!I figured as much nap! hahaha

BRvalley
08-15-2014, 12:38 PM
shoot it between 5:30 and 8am, doesn't warm up till 10, was 8 degrees on my porch this morning, warmed to 18 by 10:30...plenty of time to get to the cooler, didn't see shit this morning, supposed to cool off midweek, rain would be nice too

evgeny ya
08-26-2014, 07:49 AM
Hi All, have been hunting in Pink Mountain area (Lily Lake) for 5 years. Loved that place for hunting and fishing.Was great before but saw only cows in 2013. I heard once from local "white" hunter that natives killed more then 100 bulls starting from 2012. Have anyone hunted in August 2014 over there? Any information is appreciative. thanks

anethema
08-26-2014, 10:27 AM
We had 3 bulls down in the first 2 days of the season in 2012, but in 2013 and 2014 only a few cows, no bulls. The bottom of my deepfreeze is a scary place. New to the area wish I knew areas to hunt around here haha (Dawson)

Sitkaspruce
08-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Seeing lots of bulls, cows and calves around. Lots of recruitment from last year. But the moose are way way back in the thick stuff. The amount of developement in those areas in the last 18 months has everything moving off the roads and pushed them way back in the bush, away from the activity.

The indians may have shot a few, but they generally don't get out and away from the roads, so to look for them as the cause of your poor hunting experience is probably not the reason. Had lots of ticks in the winter/spring of 2012/2013, plus with all the developement, the wolves now just cruise the roads/siesmic lines to hunt, makes for easy hunting.

The area is changing and the animals are too.

Cheers

SS

Liveforthehunt
08-26-2014, 08:32 PM
All the moose have left down to region 8 start driving south for your gos spike fork 15 day season :D

BRvalley
08-27-2014, 09:49 AM
We had 3 bulls down in the first 2 days of the season in 2012, but in 2013 and 2014 only a few cows, no bulls. The bottom of my deepfreeze is a scary place. New to the area wish I knew areas to hunt around here haha (Dawson)

fill your gas tanks and go for a drive towards TR, look for roads that lead into some elevation and go exploring