PDA

View Full Version : Day6 Outdoors Plotwatcher Pro

kootenay_jack
08-14-2014, 09:15 PM
So I just bought my first game cam and after much research I decided that I would go with the Day 6 Outdoors Plotwatcher Pro. It is not a traditional game cam as it is time laps and not motion triggered and has not IR. But I thought since I do not have a lot of time to get out scouting I think it will serve me well.

Has anyone used a plotwatcher before?

Clint_S
08-15-2014, 07:09 AM
Not sure why you would choose that model unless you like to watch the grass grow.

Obviously the purpose of passive infra red is to take a picture of something of interest like perhaps an animal.

You might get lucky and have something standing there when the camera is triggered by time but why bother with luck?

BiG Boar
08-15-2014, 07:38 AM
Sounds like a waste of money to me. See above. Let us know how it goes though. Expensive? At least you can use a program to go through and see which frames are different from the others.

Ambush
08-15-2014, 07:45 AM
Plot watchers are just that. Put it on your "plot" or field and take a pic every so many minutes. They have their purpose, but they are not for trails or bait sites. Some have the ability to be triggered, but if your's doesn't, then you pretty much wasted your money. Unless you are putting it out on a large feeding area??

Sorry, but you asked, which maybe would have been better done before you bought.

Cyrus
08-15-2014, 07:48 AM
how is battery life? i accidentally set 3 of my moultries on time lapse and got 3 days of battery life. i guess if you are scouting a big field it may come in handy.

s0ylentgreen
08-15-2014, 07:57 AM
hey man - it depends what you where you want to place and what you want to watch with your camera

for small areas, trails surrounded by trees, etc - the movement/IR cameras are best

but the plotwatchers are great for large areas, cutblocks, meadows, etc
by setting the camera to film all day from morning till night
you can see where they come in, hang out, leave and watch a LARGE area (you will see animals that wouldnt come into range with a traditional motion sensing camera)
with quality batteries and a 32 gig card - my 5 plotwatcher type cameras can do a picture a minute and have enough juice and memory space for about a month.

i also have about 12 motion sensing cameras for the small, baited areas

i like to scout new areas with a couple motion cameras and if they are promising for game - i throw a plotwatcher to watch the whole area...

peace

caddisguy
08-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Definitely use that camera on a large area. How often will it take pictures? It should certainly make a really cool time-lapsed video of the area changing over time. Should also be fun to watch. I'd sit there with a nice snack and a beer watching it cycle through all the pictures with my eyelids taped open, glassing each picture, waiting in suspense for a critter to show itself. It will certainly be entertaining and will make a great clip. It might even give you some good information. If you have a nice large open area in mind.

For the purpose of having a camera scout for me, the motion sensing cameras with IR seem to be the most practical. I wouldn't use them in an open area, but if I wanted to see if deer came into that area, I would put up the camera(s) in places I figure the deer would travel through when entering/exiting the area. Keep us posted on how you make out with the camera and post a cool time-lapse video of the pics flying by... maybe the best still frames too. Maybe I'll get jealous and reconsider my exclusive motion sensing stance ;-P

boxhitch
08-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Plot watcher is an option on my Moultries , plan on putting one up about 30 feet over a cut block with 8 year growth. Hope it finds the elusive forking spiked moose

Liveforthehunt
08-15-2014, 12:22 PM
Plot watcher is an option on my Moultries , plan on putting one up about 30 feet over a cut block with 8 year growth. Hope it finds the elusive forking spiked moose

Boxhitch pm me I'm in Vernon as well and as me and my dad usually go up north and take the big boys we have taken alot of immatures over the years tasty little buggers I have some very moosey areas im willing to help a guy out with being such a shortened season this year. As for the trail cams you can get them cheap as is without IR that work just fine kind of seems like a waste of time with very short battery life .... For example I had a cam set up for 7 months last year with hundreds of animals on it and I just changed out the battery to be safe for this season in June

kootenay_jack
08-15-2014, 05:21 PM
I keep hearing that people want IR, but you cant hunt at 1 AM so why do you care that there is a dear at this location at 1 am. Plus if the dear walks by more than a few meters away it will not trigger the camera and you will not know there is a dear there at all.

I have set mine up in a medium open area, taking a photo every 2 seconds. With a wide field of view I should catch lots of animals if any.

Cyrus They say that on 8 AA batteries with a 5second time laps it will last 30 + days.

Sitkaspruce
08-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Because that deer that shows up at 1 am will not always be active at night. here is an example

At night

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/2013%20Game%20Camera/EK004994_zps5bab6caf.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Sitkaspruce/media/2013%20Game%20Camera/EK004994_zps5bab6caf.jpg.html)

Afternoon

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/2013%20Game%20Camera/EK005230_zpsfb7fb0dc.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Sitkaspruce/media/2013%20Game%20Camera/EK005230_zpsfb7fb0dc.jpg.html)

Freezer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Hunt%20and%20fish%202013/IMGP0728_zps0ecd1a48.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Sitkaspruce/media/Hunt%20and%20fish%202013/IMGP0728_zps0ecd1a48.jpg.html)

Never would have known that deer was around without the cams.

Plot watching cam is a cam for watching home grown bean field plots in Georgia, where they get 50 deer and day out in the field and the can takes picts of them as they feed. Shows the does and bucks. Trying to take a picture of a deer as it walks across an opening from 50' away will be tough, especially if there is motion blur in the picture.

I am curious to see how this works out for you, Please post up any pictures.

Good luck with the cam.

Cheers

SS