PDA

View Full Version : pacific flyways map?

albravo2
08-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Another poster's comment that Vanderhoof is smack in the middle of the pacific flyway has me again scouring the internet for a decent map of waterfowl migration. Most of what I've seen is based in the US or it is a thick line that covers from Vancouver Island over to the Okanagan.

I've been doing a good deal of scouting and have a few resident geese and ducks lined up but I can't shake the feeling that I'm spending all my scouting time outside the well travelled migration patterns. I've seen videos from the flyways of skies dark with ducks and geese and I've seen a lot of birds on the wing around Delta/Ladner but it isn't clear to me where they are coming from.

Anybody have a link to share?

Steelpulse
08-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Ducks unlimited website has a reports section and a migration fly way map to reference, vanderhoof is one of the better spots in BC for duck hunting and even one of the better places in canada for ducks and geese, you will find good concentrations of ducks anywhere you find quality habitat though, we find good numbers in the Kamloops area enough that we can limit out often enough, and rarely go home without ducks, as for where they are coming from, the north and they are already here local ducks from the summer, for greenwings they are the he first to leave as they hate the cold so wait for that first cold snap and they will be moving and gone then as the days pass and the leaves fall and the days get colder the green heads pintails, and then divers are last to pass in late October November December when everything starts to freeze up for us,

the key to finding them is find the best habitat and the ducks will pass, one day there will be none and the next it will be falling skies, hope this helps may just be rambling about ducks.......26 days

albravo2
08-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Thanks Steel,

26 days? I have Sept 6 stuck in my head for geese but my memory isn't what...

Super excited about our first waterfowl season. Think we've found some great habitat. Just waiting to see how it fills in with birds.

Steelpulse
08-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Ducks is sept 10 and am already giggling like a little girl ready for the opener our spot has teal pour in like clock work at legal light, anyways there will be no huge flocks around so don't worry about not seeing anything yet, over the next days weeks you will start to see flocks here flocks there and notice they will be moving, and then all of a sudden they are everywhere and all the spots will fill up with ducks. scout the 10 days before opener and see where the ducks are and they will be there on the opening day, lots of places won't hold any ducks so scouting is very important

Foxton Gundogs
08-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Early goose is Sept 6. regular waterfowl is Oct. 11

forestwalker
08-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Living out east of williams lake, in the big lake area. Never hunted waterfowl before but going to give it a try this year. I need an area to start looking though. Coulod someone point me in the right direction that's relatively close to home.
Thanks
Rick

howa1500
08-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Living out east of williams lake, in the big lake area. Never hunted waterfowl before but going to give it a try this year. I need an area to start looking though. Coulod someone point me in the right direction that's relatively close to home.
Thanks
Rick
O'Keefe, Seven Mile, Dewar, Rose, was some of the ones I can remember.... It's been over ten years though, from what I remember there were some decent fields in the area that seemed to attract some..

And a friend said you could check out McAuley?