PDA

View Full Version : Building a jet boat from abs

Wild_Dog
03-06-2007, 08:09 PM
ABS: Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene

is there anyone that has used this? From what I've read on it this product might be great for boats (used on kayaks and such). Very tough and resiliant and also light weight?

Chuck
03-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Is this the same stuff black pipes are made of as opposed to the white PVC water pipe material? What does it look like - is it in sheet form like fibreglass cloth? I've never heard of it, but am interested to know by whom & where it's available from etc. Website?

Wild_Dog
03-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Chuck, that is the stuff that the black plumbing pipes are made of. They are also used for making river kayaks. I noticed it when on my buddies kid's radio controled boat. He ran it up on to the beach at about 30mph with no damage. Thought it could be modified somehow.

tuchodi
03-07-2007, 06:29 PM
I put UHMW on the bottom of my Aluminum jet boat so I get the best of both worlds light and strong. The only thing that might be wrong with making the entire boat out of plastic is the flexability might be to great so you couldnt hold the motor and jet properly. Worth a little more investigation.