PDA

View Full Version : Finding Bears in the fall

heatherdaddy
08-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Ok, this may be a stupid question but I am new to Bear hunting and I am wondering where do you find the Bears in the fall. In the spring you find them where the grass is green but where do you find in the fall. I was told to try around the rivers looking for fish but then was also told that fish bears taste funny is that true?? Any help would be nice as I didnt get my bear in the spring so I want one in the fall and have about a month before the season opens here.

monasheemountainman
08-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Find huckleberry patch in the summer. Go there opening day, shoot the biggest bear in the patch.

Dre
08-13-2014, 07:04 PM
I see them often in the blueberry patches above the timber. They can be found in the bushy stuff in the valley bottoms as well, but its hard to hunt them there as it can be very thick. Most people don't hunt black bear as a main course in the fall, but more as a side dish or a last resort. They are definitely harder to spot as there is more abundance of food and it is all over the place. For 3 years now I've had my eye on a tank of a cinamon phase one and always passed, but if I see him this year, I just might end our little game. Good luck.

heatherdaddy
08-13-2014, 07:21 PM
Just a note, I am not going as a main course, I am hoping to find one while hunting deer.

hunter1993ap
08-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Just a note, I am not going as a main course, I am hoping to find one while hunting deer.

you will find bears where you find deer and elk. if you spend enough time in the fall hunting deer you will probably bump into a bear or two. I always see a couple bears while hunting deer and elk in the fall.

HarryToolips
08-13-2014, 09:18 PM
you will find bears where you find deer and elk. if you spend enough time in the fall hunting deer you will probably bump into a bear or two. I always see a couple bears while hunting deer and elk in the fall.
Me too, though I always end up passin on em cause of size..I usually see about ten times more bear in the late spring/early summer as I do in the fall...

6pt_elk_wannabe
08-13-2014, 10:10 PM
I usually bump into them randomly while hunting deer in the fall.

leadpillproductions
08-13-2014, 10:17 PM
one word barries

ElliotMoose
08-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Yep, think berries. They won't be as concentrated as they are in the spring but I always seem to bump a few while out chasing deer and moose

avadad
08-15-2014, 11:38 PM
Do yourself a favour and don't shoot a bear that has been eating salmon. Find a berry patch.

steel_ram
08-16-2014, 01:21 PM
On the Island, early season, pretty much always see bears in the alpine. Occasionally see a deer too.

TyTy
08-17-2014, 10:59 AM
i think they will stay up high with the berries until the last week of october, then wander for a den. up to 1800m is fair game until the nasty weather hits.