PDA

View Full Version : Questions about region 5

Peter Pepper
08-12-2014, 02:50 PM
I just got an invite to visit some family friends in 5-2 Big Lake area on Sept 12.
While the wife visits and shows off our baby I get to go hunting! :-D
I have never been to the area, or even hunted on the mainland. I'm very excited to get to explore some new country and hopefully see types of animals I've never seen before. Also the opportunity to try take a larger than what I'm used to deer is great. Island black tail don't exactly fill a freezer!

If anyone is familiar with the area I'd love to get some advice as to what I can except. At this point I know nothing. It'll only be my 3rd season hunting anyway so I hardly know my own region.

Anyway, I'll have mule deer and B bear tags as I can use them at home too. Should I get a whitetail tag or anything else?

What about grouse or other no tag needed critters?

Is it long range 25-06, or short range 30-30 country? Or maybe I need a new rifle to fend off the packs of grizzly bears!:wink:

What might the weather be like there at that time?

From the ferry Coquihalla or highway 1?
Drive straight though or stop and spend the night in a motel/or see if I can bunk at the Jelvis homestead?

Any and all advise is much appreciated.
Really I just pumped to get out and see a part of BC I've never been to. I'm not expecting to actually connect with a deer with the 4 point rule there, but I'm sure gonna try!

REMINGTON JIM
08-12-2014, 03:19 PM
ru rancher on here lives there - he's a real hunter :wink: - prob get some info from him ! :) RJ

LupieHunter
08-12-2014, 10:03 PM
when we hunted in horsefly a few years ago (also in 5-2), we drove straight threw. Took us about 8 hours including a lunch stop, from Surrey on highway 1. More and more whitetails are moving into the area. When we hunted there I had a tag for one but we never did see one. Lots of wolves up there too.

f350ps
08-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Send Srupp a PM with your phone number and he'll call ya and let ya know where to get a few critters I'm sure or where your best chances are! K

leadpillproductions
08-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Use to be my old stompin grounds . Lots of deer there . go up the big lk fsr rd lots of spots to go . behind the dump has always been good for me lots of sharp tails . Farther down hwy can always hit beaver valley .

Jagermeister
08-12-2014, 11:18 PM
Early September will be warm. Your 25.06 will do nicely, either close up or stepping out at distance. Lots of ranch land in that area, so expect lots of no shooting signs.
You best start strokin the folks your visiting for their secret spots.

gutpile
08-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Man you need to get out more often , or at least get off the rock a bit more :)

chinooker
08-13-2014, 08:08 PM
I grew up in big lake, lots of good area to hunt!
big lake forest service rd, 8200rd, maurgerite lake area.
Look for the big fir stands and walk them.
I still go back every November for 4 points. If I could figure out how to attach a picture of my buck from last fall I would.