PDA

View Full Version : elk hunting and region 8

gutpile
08-12-2014, 11:11 AM
question I was thinking of hunting for elk in early September now which area wouldhold more elk Princeton or Rock Creek and which area would be easier 2 hunt them?

.300WSMImpact!
08-12-2014, 11:26 AM
lol good luck, region 8 is tough elk hunting, I would say there is more elk hunters than elk, my experience with elk is the further you go east the better the elk is but that doesnt mean rock creek is better then penticton, just further east is way better than both, I live in kelowna and hunt in the koots for elk

ElliotMoose
08-12-2014, 02:13 PM
There is a decent herd up the Princeton way, have to know where to look though and be prepared to get your boots on. Also they are a tough critter to hunt in that neck of the woods as everyone and their dog is buzzing around on a quad and stopping to let a bugle fly every 5 minutes. Shuts the animals up pretty good

ElliotMoose
08-12-2014, 02:14 PM
As mentioned above there are far more opportunities in the koots where you can find yourself away from the crowds in prime elk country

08-12-2014, 02:25 PM
From what i have read on here the Princeton elk are a "Locals only" thing..... the locals are able to put in the time to locate them and pattern them.
Seems a bull or 2 a season get posted here....

Good luck!

epicZERO74
08-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Rock creek has a nice elk population, just find a trail no humans walk, and walk it. Not much elk in princeton though.

Fisher-Dude
08-12-2014, 04:31 PM
I've lived and hunted in Region 8 for over 50 years. Haven't seen a 6 point bull elk here yet.

YMMV.

Elkhound
08-12-2014, 04:43 PM
I have tried for elk for 5 years now in 8. Never even seen an elk

Saw my first elk this spring during bear season. A cow.

They do exist. A glimmer of hope

300H&H
08-12-2014, 05:13 PM
I have tried for elk for 5 years now in 8. Never even seen an elk

Saw my first elk this spring during bear season. A cow.

They do exist. A glimmer of hope

Nawww...couldn't be. You probably just saw a very large muwl doe.

monasheemountainman
08-12-2014, 05:13 PM
I'd head further east. Good hunting for many diff species in the east koots. Okanagan has great hunting but if your focus is just elk I'd drive the extra 5 hours

6pt_elk_wannabe
08-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Princeton and long weekends don't add up too well. But in September, on a weekday or a weekend for that matter the hunting pressure shouldn't be too bad. If you want to see elk, you'll see them, but lots of cows and small bulls, if you want a chance at a legal bull think steep, thick, cool, and far from any road. If you can get some trail cams up now definitely do it and scout hard from now until opening.

.300WSMImpact!
08-12-2014, 06:59 PM
I get the odd 6 point on trail cam maybe 6 or 7 over the last 6 years, but have seem more 6 points in a 10 day hunt in the koots then I have in 6 years in region 8

gutpile
08-12-2014, 08:04 PM
If there are cows and young bulls then there has to be 6 pts bulls in there, because there is no
open season for any bulls. So then why is it so hard to see 6 pt bulls ? it's not like they are over hunted.

358mag
08-12-2014, 08:13 PM
If there are cows and young bulls then there has to be 6 pts bulls in there, because there is no
open season for any bulls. So then why is it so hard to see 6 pt bulls ? it's not like they are over hunted.
And how many 6 point bull elk have you taken in region 8 ??

gutpile
08-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Well thats my point !

358mag
08-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Well your statement of them not being over hunted in Region 8 make me wonder .

hunter1993ap
08-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Well your statement of them not being over hunted in Region 8 make me wonder .
just have a listen in about every cut block come sept.. :twisted::twisted::twisted: But no, not much hunting pressure...

TravisC
08-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Hunted Princeton few times for elk not my cup of tea anymore as Sept weather is just to hot and your days are very long, if your an all day hunter like me. The hunting pressure is crazy yes everyday of the week during elk season and deer. Passed on a 6pt one year but until it headed into the trees did I notice the 6th pt. thought it was a 5 :{ I've seen some nice pictures of locals bagging some great bulls there but they have the spots, they know the patterns, and have the trail cams. Not only that but the Merritt rez members like to shoot the shit out of Princeton heard there was 40-60 elk taken couple seasons ago by the Natives. I've seen some of the carcasses along with moose taken only for the premium cuts. Not sure how the herds there can recover from that much killing especially the cows.

Walksalot
08-13-2014, 07:04 AM

Your assesment of elk hunting in region 8 bleeds of misinformation at best. Logging, Okanagan Mountain fire and mountain bike trails have created so much access(8-09) there are not many way back places any more. I think the 6 point bull elk are being cropped off and not necessarily in the general open season. The salvation, though, for the general elk population and all other ungulates is the habitat the Okanagan Mountain and the Gartnett(sp) fires created.

Iron Glove
08-13-2014, 08:14 AM
I've lived and hunted in Region 8 for over 50 years. Haven't seen a 6 point bull elk here yet.

YMMV.

I'm not out looking for Elk, I have enough trouble simply finding a grouse or a deer to shoot but last year son & I took an hour or two to look for grouse in the Princeton area ( that's as close as I'll say ) and a herd of maybe 10 Elk ran across the road in front of us. At least 3 were 6 point or more bulls. Of course, being armed with .410's and it being out of Elk season meant no shot.
It was however quite the impressive sight and made up for a complete lack, as usual, of grouse.

Fisher-Dude
08-13-2014, 08:32 AM
I'm not out looking for Elk, I have enough trouble simply finding a grouse or a deer to shoot but last year son & I took an hour or two to look for grouse in the Princeton area ( that's as close as I'll say ) and a herd of maybe 10 Elk ran across the road in front of us. At least 3 were 6 point or more bulls. Of course, being armed with .410's and it being out of Elk season meant no shot.
It was however quite the impressive sight and made up for a complete lack, as usual, of grouse.

Hook me up with one of those sixes and I'll show you and the boy some good grouse spots! :D

358mag
08-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Sure that was a great site to see all them elk "running" across the road, sure hope you went into town a bought a Lotto ticket because that was your lucky day .:mrgreen:

OutWest
08-13-2014, 08:35 AM

YMMV.

Come on FD, don't tell me you've never seen one off GoatGuy's porch!

358mag
08-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Hook me up with one of those sixes and I'll show you and the boy some good grouse spots! :D

Hey if you throw one of your Dora back packs sign me up !

Iron Glove
08-13-2014, 10:16 AM

Well, it was this dirt road outside of Princeton, up a hill with ranchland on either side. :mrgreen:
Oops, now I've given it away. :wink:
We both had a good laugh about it as being "armed" with .410's and being a few days outta season all we could do was admire the sight. Now, if the wife could only dig further into her heritage and get that status card ........................... :evil:

Iron Glove
08-13-2014, 10:19 AM
Sure that was a great site to see all them elk "running" across the road, sure hope you went into town a bought a Lotto ticket because that was your lucky day .:mrgreen:

Ya know, ya tell antis that hunting is more than just killing, it's about getting out there and experiencing the wild life and they don't get it.
Son-In-Law & I were out back on the Fraser in Hope losing gear trying to catch the elusive sockeye when a huge sturgeon leapt out of the water in front of us. Figured it was @ 10 feet long. Never caught a damn thing but seeing the sturgeon made the day worthwhile.

Wrayzer
08-13-2014, 10:20 AM
My favourite thread every August

For some reason the bulls in 8 have a weird 4 stroke engine sound right before and right after every bugle.

Fisher-Dude
08-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Come on FD, don't tell me you've never seen one off GoatGuy's porch!

All I've ever seen off GG's porch are fields full of empty beer tins.

Hey if you throw one of your Dora back packs sign me up !

I'm thinkin' I'll get you one of these hi-vis models. You need it to stay safe with the R8 weekend warriors shooting at everything that moves.

http://www.toddlerbackpackhq.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Nick-Jr-Dora-The-Explorer-Backpack.jpg

Ourea
08-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Elk and pressure go together like oil and water.
In region 8 we have both.

What makes a region 8 elk hunt tough is the FSR density and infrastructure. Its tough to find large expanses of old growth that hold suitable elk habitat. With the Okanagan we have the province's second highest population base. Stick a quarter million people within 30 mins of elk country, throw in endless FSR's that dissect the land scape, combine that with the attention social media has brought to the region....well, I'm sure you get the picture.

The percentage of bulls making it thru the meat grinder and reaching maturity is slim. Most bulls don't get to see their 4th or 5th birthday. Several hundred elk with several thousand people chasing them in easily accessed country means a guy has his work cut out to get into areas that do not get pressured.

ruger#1
08-13-2014, 10:35 AM

YMMV. I have seen six points in region 8. after the season ended, Two when it was pitch black dark driving into a hunting spot. They looked nice in the headlights.An hour later and it would of been legal shooting.

Fisher-Dude
08-13-2014, 10:38 AM
I have seen six points in region 8. after the season ended, Two when it was pitch black dark driving into a hunting spot. They looked nice in the headlights.An hour later and it would of been legal shooting.

Seeing double after too many wobbly pops has inflated your count by 100%.

358mag
08-13-2014, 10:50 AM
I have seen six points in region 8. after the season ended, Two when it was pitch black dark driving into a hunting spot. They looked nice in the headlights.An hour later and it would of been legal shooting.
Now you know why our wonderful First Nation poachers < sorry cant call them hunters> in Region 8 love after hours elk hunting

ruger#1
08-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Now you know why our wonderful First Nation poachers < sorry cant call them hunters> in Region 8 love after hours elk hunting

They wouldn't of gotten a shot. Those animals were running as soon as the head lights were on them. My father enjoyed seeing them. They were very spooky. They went about a hundred yards in the woods and started to make a lot of vocal sounds. Seen a few moose in that same area.

MichelD
08-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Caught a shadowy glimpse of a bull in the sub alpine on the boundary between region 2 and 8 in 2012.

natebavis
08-13-2014, 12:37 PM
About 8 or 9 years ago i was walkinh out of a trail from a cut on the whipsaw or granit/lamont? Guy drove by glowing ear to ear. Propped up very nicely and proudly was a 6/6 bull elk. Only elk I have seen back there. i shot a 2 pt deer, still i was happy

ItsGrouseTalk
08-13-2014, 01:47 PM
From bear hunting in May near Princeton
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll365/mattoboy/IMG_4953_zps261807ae.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/user/mattoboy/media/IMG_4953_zps261807ae.jpg.html)

6pt_elk_wannabe
08-13-2014, 02:58 PM
I like how if someone was to ask this question 5 years ago they would get the response "there are no elk in Princeton"

Dannybuoy
08-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Not Princeton specific but elk have been migrating and have been getting transplanted to new areas ... might aswer that question ? other than they do multiply all on their own as well :-D

.300WSMImpact!
08-13-2014, 05:59 PM
From bear hunting in May near Princeton
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll365/mattoboy/IMG_4953_zps261807ae.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/user/mattoboy/media/IMG_4953_zps261807ae.jpg.html)

thats a nice looking group of mule deer does

ruger#1
08-13-2014, 06:22 PM
thats a nice looking group of mule deer does Are you sure they arn't whitetails. You can tell because they have small heads. Very similar to Fallow deer.

ItsGrouseTalk
08-13-2014, 11:24 PM
Are you sure they arn't whitetails. You can tell because they have small heads. Very similar to Fallow deer.My bad guys :confused:

300H&H
08-13-2014, 11:32 PM
thats a nice looking group of mule deer does

Not JUST does but also a couple for bucks in there also !

JIL_24/7
08-13-2014, 11:59 PM
Not JUST does but also a couple for bucks in there also !

Nice eye 300H&H! They look like hybrids though, so better wait until any buck season just to be sure.

pg83
08-14-2014, 12:10 AM
You guys better go redo your CORE, those are clearly Roosevelt Mountain Elks.

GoatGuy
08-14-2014, 01:36 AM
The trick with elk in hunted areas is to figure out where they go after the hunting starts. Most of the guys who hunt elk in region 8 will never see a legal bull in season but might have dozens of pictures pre and post season on their t cameras. Just like wt a person has to turn the brain on a bit.

personally would head to region 4 if you want to kill an elk- way more elk and way less pressure.

ruger#1
08-14-2014, 01:41 AM
You guys better go redo your CORE, those are clearly Roosevelt Mountain Elks. I have done my core 4 times, I know my deers.

.300WSMImpact!
08-14-2014, 05:43 PM
I have done my core 4 times, I know my deers.

way easier to tell the deers apart after a few beers

Bugle M In
08-14-2014, 06:48 PM
The trick with elk in hunted areas is to figure out where they go after the hunting starts. Most of the guys who hunt elk in region 8 will never see a legal bull in season but might have dozens of pictures pre and post season on their t cameras. Just like wt a person has to turn the brain on a bit.

personally would head to region 4 if you want to kill an elk- way more elk and way less pressure.

I was told some stay in the private ranch lands around Princeton, so it helps to know someone up there.
Also, the other thing is to look for an area that is old growth, if that is even possible around there, although a bing map search does sow some areas.
Also, I was told to look in the creek beds etc, during the season.

Can't blame us LM's trying to go to Princeton for a bull on a weekend, EK too far, but the thought of looking for a bull while muley hunting is a nice thought.
Although, I don't think I would be looking muleys in creeks where some say the elk are hanging in, so maybe there is where the problem can be as well.

Best advice I got was to go up, sit in ur truck ,wait for the locals to come roaring in, an hour or 2 b4 first light and follow them....if you can somehow tell they are locals:mrgreen:

I do recall someone here posting a bull ( i think in the Princeton area ) who was out looking for muleys when out of nowhere, in a cutblock, stands a bull...
but that isn't how it usually goes for sure up there!

I do wonder if some of the pressure is in fact making them go deeper into Reg2 or is just the herds expanding???
EK's really are the better odds, but not always the opportunity for time exists, I guess that's why the Princeton area is always brought up each year,
but I don't think anyone here will give up that pearl if they do know!