PDA

View Full Version : 8-14 info

asherriff
08-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Hello... I have been invited by a friend to hunt with him in 8-14 for deer. I have read lots about the area and what we can expect for deer but was wondering what type of elk populations are in that MU? I know everyone will tell me there are no elk there... but just looking for some real input. I don't need your secret honey holes...just some advice. Cheers! We will be there in mid october and it is my first time in that area ever... Thanks and hope everyone is enjoying the heat!

d6dan
08-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Boundary creek, turn off just north of Greenwood, up through to Terrace peaks will be good and then over to Christian Valley. Whiteys in the valleys and Mulies up top. Elk around, lots of glassing.

Jelvis
08-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Rut will be long gone when your going tho.
The elk start b4 the end of this month, calling whistling and turning rut mode, you can call it pre rut but the bulls are ready to go.
At the end of August early September they are in.
The cows will come in to estrus in September and then taper down because most mature cow elk will be bred by end of September..
Some say in October is still good in the beginning. Only the true veteran elk hunters could still work a bull in late rut.
Jel -- Good luck in MU 8-14 -- Head in from the Christian Valley as below
From Christian Valley up into the Lassie Lake - Trapping Creek country for elk.

Moosehunter64
08-11-2014, 04:37 PM
I have hunted up around Damfino Creek for over 25 years. But only for a week at a time. lots of whitetails and use to be good for Mule deer but the population for Mulies is way down and that is probably why they changed it to a 4 point only season this year for Mulies.I have seen Elk around that area but the only legal Bull we ever saw was right on the main road,and we were not fast enough to get him.We never really targeted Elk when we were there but always had a tag just in case.I have also taken a couple immature moose in that area but again the season was changed this year and immature do not open until Nov 1st.The time of year you are going is usually about the same time we would go.

d6dan
08-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Elk will still be talking, don't listen to the yo-yo. :wink:

Jelvis
08-11-2014, 05:22 PM
B4 trying to tell these new hunters that mid October is the peak of rut for bull elk it sounds like you haven't hunted the bull elk in peak rut. Or even know when it happens. Probably never actually shot a six point bull in MU 8-14. This MU is mostly deer some elk, you haven't seen lots to know.
Go to Region 4 to get into world class elk hunting.
Talk to some local resident hunters about the timing of the rut in 8-14 and they will say starting in the beginning of September peaking around the 14th to the 23rd then tapering way off to the end of September.
Jel -- I hear " Not very sure talker" " very lil walkin " No Pix -- Dint happen

ellenbill
08-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Jel's right they don't talk much after the 10th of October.

d6dan
08-11-2014, 06:03 PM
If you have spent anytime there Jel, you wouldn't be blowing hotair. Take a look at those log blocks. 50% of those I help create and I know where and what those elk are up to. So go back to your Backroads Map book of BC and chill out Jel.......Jels needs chill pills...........anyone selling?????

Jelvis
08-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Keep logging with your D-6 Dan don't quit your day job.
Good at clearing land does not make an elk master lol, we all see that Hahaha
You tried anyways so at least you did your best which was way off lol.
Jel -- ellenbill knows Bo and bull elk thanks ellenbill for the true knowledge about elk talkin, it's hunters like you that others learn the times of the elk talkin.

elknut
08-11-2014, 08:28 PM
The 1st of Oct bulls come running..They are always looking for a late estrus cow...Some of the bigger elk are killed in Oct..The weather is usually cooler and they are very responsive...After the 15th it can get hard...The big bulls leave the cows and try to recoup after the rut..Most bulls with cows are subordinate bulls..Raghorns and spikes..If you can find the big bulls hideaway you will find some monsters..

asherriff
08-11-2014, 09:45 PM
This is all great info! thanks everyone! looking forward to exploring a new piece of terrain!