PDA

View Full Version : Fraser River Sockeye Fishing last weekend

huntingtime
08-11-2014, 10:46 AM
On Sunday I headed out with my dad and fished a couple of different bars in Chilliwack. Did not get anything. Out of the hundreds of fishermen we saw over 4 hours of fishing no one got anything. Just snags and in one case two fisherman fighting each others lines across the river. One guy told me he put in about 15 hours since opening and pulled in two sockeye.

How did everyone else do?

silvertipp
08-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Limited out ,on sat in two hours with four guys,back out sat & did the same with two springs to boot Lots of people out there ,

Steeleco
08-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Any hints as to the water level on Gill road? No longer own a boat and want to take the kids. The river looks a little high to be able to walk the channel to the big beach. Thx

limit time
08-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Limited out ,on sat in two hours with four guys,back out sat & did the same with two springs to boot Lots of people out there ,
BS, i think u need to PM me the location so I can see for my self ;)

Wild one
08-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Buddy has limited out on scale within 1hr of fishing the last 4 times he has been out. Time of day makes a difference

Wentrot
08-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Buddy has limited out on scale within 1hr of fishing the last 4 times he has been out. Time of day makes a difference

Most people are-and time of day don't make much difference with snagging.

keoke
08-11-2014, 11:27 AM
The harrison river is bubbling with sockeye. I fished all day and got f/a. However where I was fishing some guys gf was fitting in her bikini very well and doing yoga on the sand bar. Im glad I picked up some gas station sun glasses on the way out

Steeleco
08-11-2014, 11:27 AM

If the fish are not there even "snagging" won't work. Also as per site rules,

6. There is to be no frowning upon a member for the method of hunting used, or the sex, age of the animal. If it's legal then it's legal no if, and, or, but!

Fishing applies here, even though it's obviously not your thing its legal.

Wild one
08-11-2014, 12:00 PM

It is not about getting them to bite but sockeye move up river in larger numbers in the morning, evening, and night. They also are closer to shore at these times.

Know all about how flossing works

But I assume you knew this

adriaticum
08-11-2014, 12:10 PM
What's the price of sockeye in Steveston?

Iron Glove
08-11-2014, 01:51 PM
What's the price of sockeye in Steveston?

Been told $8 - 10 in Aggasiz.

adriaticum
08-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Been told $8 - 10 in Aggasiz.

Is that legal fish?

ruger#1
08-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Is that legal fish? No. They are half rotten.

rides bike to work
08-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Try 1.5 ounce bb and fish closer to shore. Watch the tides big pushes of fish come with rising tides. I've limited out every day and many people around get nothing. Casting to far with to heavy weight I also use a smaller hook floats a bit better

Tyler660
08-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Was out every morning before work last week. By early I mean first legal fishing light I was making my first cast. Longest it took me to get my two fish was 35 min. Got out late sat but brought the tin boat was fishing by 3 and had my two with in an hour as did my buddy I was with. Sunday... Way different story took me about 6 hours. 10' to 12' leader, 2 to 3oz bb depending on water and a num 3 hook with a green corkie and light green wool. Just keep casting and it will happen.

rides bike to work
08-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Also I have noticed most people pull up cast for half hour sit on there chair for half hour take a few more casts complain about how bad the fishing is then move on. We sit on one spot for four hours casting you never know when the school is going to pass by but when they do its not hard to get a couple.

Iron Glove
08-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Is that legal fish?

I guess that depends on your personal or 'cultural" beliefs.
And no, I haven't bought any.

steel_ram
08-11-2014, 06:33 PM
As long as you snag them in the mouth it is "legal". Some have become very proficient at the fine art of "flossing".

adriaticum
08-11-2014, 06:49 PM
As long as you snag them in the mouth it is "legal". Some have become very proficient at the fine art of "flossing".

I'm not into dentistry.
You might say I'm an anti-dentite.

r106
08-11-2014, 07:28 PM

I always get a laugh at the guy's that get really concerned about color of hooks and wool and what the sockeye are " biting " today. LOL. If your bottom bouncing, your flossing them. And yes there is a bit of an art to it. LOL

08-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Blue Foam ....... my choice of Lure while flossing .... who the hell needs a corky of Pink, Red, Green .........

steel_ram
08-12-2014, 07:31 AM
It's "harvesting" and legal but sure isn't sport. Kind of like road hunting.;)

139grainsofhell
08-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Limited on Thursday in four hours and limited yesterday in 40 min,ya just got to be a snag pro!

huntingtime
08-12-2014, 08:00 AM
Was out every morning before work last week. By early I mean first legal fishing light I was making my first cast. Longest it took me to get my two fish was 35 min. Got out late sat but brought the tin boat was fishing by 3 and had my two with in an hour as did my buddy I was with. Sunday... Way different story took me about 6 hours. 10' to 12' leader, 2 to 3oz bb depending on water and a num 3 hook with a green corkie and light green wool. Just keep casting and it will happen.

Well im glad to hear you struggled on Sunday as well. Makes me want to work hard to get out one day after work this week. Will be my last chance for a week and a half.

I was using mostly 3 to 4.5 oz bb on sunday and smaller Corkies. From what your saying that may have also been my problem.

Anyone know the closest area to Langley to bottom bounce? I heard its no good until you hit Chilliwack because the water river is to slow below that. Is this true?

Thanks

r106
08-12-2014, 08:06 AM
It's "harvesting" and legal but sure isn't sport. Kind of like road hunting.;)

Yup but both are very good ways of putting meat in your freezer :mrgreen:.

"Sport" haha. You must be a fly fisherman and a trophy hunter :mrgreen: LOL

139grainsofhell
08-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Well im glad to hear you struggled on Sunday as well. Makes me want to work hard to get out one day after work this week. Will be my last chance for a week and a half.

I was using mostly 3 to 4.5 oz bb on sunday and smaller Corkies. From what your saying that may have also been my problem.

Anyone know the closest area to Langley to bottom bounce? I heard its no good until you hit Chilliwack because the water river is to slow below that. Is this true?

Thanks

go to peg leg I believe that's the nearest one will be heading there shortly but the commercial had a opening yesterday so it may or may not be slow as $&@& for a few days it's off young road.

139grainsofhell
08-12-2014, 08:10 AM
It is a sport it takes talent to throw out 4 ounces of lead and hold a beer in the other I just have to figure out how to apply sunscreen with only two hands !!

r106
08-12-2014, 08:11 AM

Thanks

I find you want the lightest weight possible and still be bouncing. I was using a 1oz weight at my spot the last couple of days. It's purpose is to keep the hook off the bottom so you can floss them in the mouth and not hook there bellies. I find in some slower currents or using a smaller hook size you don't need a corky as it's floating high enough

Chilliwack and up are better mainly because of river access, more gravel bars and narrower channels. Towards Langley the river is wider, more silt/sand and less river access. Slow moving water just use less lead and shorter leader.

steel_ram
08-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Yup but both are very good ways of putting meat in your freezer :mrgreen:.

"Sport" haha. You must be a fly fisherman and a trophy hunter :mrgreen: LOL

I see it for what it is. Being that there is a surplus of sockeye and they rarely chase anything once committed to the river, I think it's great that folks, especially those without the luxury of boats and other means can get out and harvest some wild meat.
One thing that really disgusts me is the amount of trash that accumulates along the banks during such a fishery. It seems to attract the slobs.

r106
08-12-2014, 09:13 AM
I see it for what it is. Being that there is a surplus of sockeye and they rarely chase anything once committed to the river, I think it's great that folks, especially those without the luxury of boats and other means can get out and harvest some wild meat.
One thing that really disgusts me is the amount of trash that accumulates along the banks during such a fishery. It seems to attract the slobs.

Agree. and I hear ya on the garbage. Although so far this year the couple bars I visited are still looking clean. But years of fishing on the Fraser has taught me to never get my hope up on thinking the slobs will stay at home.

winchester284
08-12-2014, 09:28 AM
go to peg leg I believe that's the nearest one will be heading there shortly but the commercial had a opening yesterday so it may or may not be slow as $&@& for a few days it's off young road.

Good luck over the next few days...... The FN fishery between the Fraser mouth and Yale has been given an "economic opportunity" fishery and are/will be out in force with set and drift nets. Should clean up the river quite well.

Should increase the overall FN food and communal fishing efforts, as this economic opportunity allows them to effectively argue that the fish they are selling you were caught under their economic opportunity fishery... On a positive note you should be able to buy sockeye for less than 10 bucks.. Kinda makes it pointless to spend the money catching your own, as long as you don't mind that the fish you buy were not bled and likely sat out in the sun for a while before being sold... This way you won't have to have them on the barbecue as long.

antileno
08-12-2014, 09:57 AM
Fished it hard for six hours yesterday only saw about 4 sox landed among the 30 plus people fishing. I think between the FN and commercial openings gonna be pretty slim pickings up top for the next while.

huntingtime
08-12-2014, 09:57 AM

Thanks Pegleg and Island 22 are where we tried on Sunday. They are about an hour away from our place in Aldergrove.

swampdonkey
08-12-2014, 10:22 AM
go to peg leg I believe that's the nearest one will be heading there shortly but the commercial had a opening yesterday so it may or may not be slow as $&@& for a few days it's off young road.The opening yesterday hardly put a dent in the river. Boat average was around 200 where I was . My dad fishe this morning and Wawa's done in 1hr 2sockeye 1 spring