PDA

View Full Version : No Mud Flaps on Your truck?

BlackOwL
08-10-2014, 07:51 PM
I got a warning from a police officer for not having mud flaps on My truck, this time He let Me go with a warning. He said they will be reinforcing this.
They are advising motorists to take a look to the
"Motor Vehicle Act" http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/tickets/Pages/fines-points-offences.aspx

I didn't know that there is a fine for driving without consideration to other drivers or persons, that does it for some idiots like Me driving without mud flaps I could have hurt someone.:( I installed the requested flaps immediately.

I give You the heads up.

Drive safe and don't be responsible for damage to others.
You don't want to go hunting with a hefty fine as a hunting buddy, let alone the damages involved in an incident :wink:

warnniklz
08-10-2014, 08:12 PM
I got that same warning back in may... apparently I have to have my wheels covered to the mid point of my axle??

skuntor
08-10-2014, 08:27 PM
I gave up after I ripped two sets off on hunting trips from backing up. Almost stock height I think I'm legal anyway.

BiG Boar
08-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Mine also got ripped off by my 37's. I've given up.

Big Lew
08-10-2014, 09:14 PM
I got that same warning back in may... apparently I have to have my wheels covered to the mid point of my axle??

Correct. Even the commercial trucks can get a ticket.

hoochie
08-10-2014, 10:38 PM
cause rocks come flying out of the treads and damage windshields. Its a pain in the ass to have to get the chips fixed all the time

r106
08-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Yup. I got a warning 15 years ago. I've always had them since. Not a big deal. It's a good idea to have them. My wife has had to replace her windshield because a truck threw some rocks.

Amphibious
08-11-2014, 06:43 AM
I have to get a new windshield every other year. To many d-bags out there without flaps.

ElliotMoose
08-11-2014, 07:06 AM
I wish there was a model with simple install/removal that could be done quickly as soon as you hit the back roads. Completely agree with the need for them on the highway to prevent damage to others, but anytime you're chewin through some nasty stuff and have to go back and forth in deep snow/mud you turn them to shit pretty quickly. Installing multiple sets gets costly and turns your fender into swiss cheese

kilometers
08-11-2014, 07:35 AM
They can't be any higher then 14 inches from the ground.

skuntor
08-11-2014, 07:37 AM
I have seen then with a chain from the bottom and then to the bumper. Then you can tighten chain to pull them up. Only really seen them on trucks with huge tires though.

huntingtime
08-11-2014, 08:08 AM
I have seen then with a chain from the bottom and then to the bumper. Then you can tighten chain to pull them up. Only really seen them on trucks with huge tires though.

Thats what I have on my F350, Have not had a problem with the chains.

Vladimir Poutine
08-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Good on the cop. I'm sick of guys that have a truck blowing by with no flaps and launching a boulder. Most cars too for that matter. Now that I'm rolling, if I ever get hit by one of those cowboys that has the jacked up truck that's so high he'd hit my grille instead of my bumper, I will sue his ass off. There's a maximum height requirement on those as well but you'd never know it. Here endeth the rant for the day.

fearless
08-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Mud flaps don't always work, I went through 2 windshields last yr. 1 from a lumber truck out of Williams lake coming straight at me rock flew off his tire smashed my windshield on drivers side so bad I'm lucky it didn't go right threw it, another driving on the Philips( dirt rd.) guy towing his travel trailer came around a corner head on chucked a rock at me smashed my freshly changed windshield again. Following these little cars after our highway departments dump 3/4 plus rock on the rd and call it sand during winter months is harder on windshields then any truck out there.

Vladimir Poutine
08-11-2014, 08:18 AM
Mud flaps don't always work, I went through 2 windshields last yr. 1 from a lumber truck out of Williams lake coming straight at me rock flew off his tire smashed my windshield on drivers side so bad I'm lucky it didn't go right threw it, another driving on the Philips( dirt rd.) guy towing his travel trailer came around a corner head on chucked a rock at me smashed my freshly changed windshield again. Following these little cars after our highway departments dump 3/4 plus rock on the rd and call it sand during winter months is harder on windshields then any truck out there.

The issue with all vehicles may be true as the size of material put down may be up to 5/8 of an inch which is a window breaker for sure, but the mudflap regulation is there for a reason.

skuntor
08-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Highways or highways contractor?

russm86
08-11-2014, 08:21 AM
I don't think I've ever had rocks off any pickup truck hit my truck, even jacked up, it's always been dinky little cars or semis. On another note, I thought the law stated somewhere your vehicle only had to have mudflaps if it came with them from factory? A guy I work with challenged this a number of years ago and won as he was able to prove his pickup never came with mudflaps or was an option that wasn't chosen or something along those lines and so wasn't required to have them... I just bought a brand new truck in February, I couldn't tell you if It has any or not, guess I'll have to look but I'm not running out and buying some for a brand new truck I just bought that didn't come with any from the factory, if it's required by law the manufacturers and/or dealers should be required to install them. I'm lucky to put 5000 to 10,000 kms on my truck in a year so I'll just play ignorant until I get a warning and if they give me a ticket with no warning, I will just challenge it, your everyday citizen shouldn't have to be a lawyer or have one on retainer in his back pocket to keep up on all the laws that no one knows about....

BRvalley
08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Good on the cop. I'm sick of guys that have a truck blowing by with no flaps and launching a boulder. Most cars too for that matter. Now that I'm rolling, if I ever get hit by one of those cowboys that has the jacked up truck that's so high he'd hit my grille instead of my bumper, I will sue his ass off. There's a maximum height requirement on those as well but you'd never know it. Here endeth the rant for the day.

hahahahha how long you been "rolling" bud? good luck suing every truck that pisses ya off, pull your prius over at a starbucks and start the day with some caffeine maybe lol

Peter Pepper
08-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Huh, so how about when some goof is tailgating me on a slick road and I need to put a tire on the shoulder to pepper him with gravel.
Btw I don't drive slow, conditions permitting.
I was tail-gated last week while I was doing 130km.
I pull over whenever it's safe to do so to let people pass, but don't ride my bumper unless you like to eat rocks.

Vladimir Poutine
08-11-2014, 09:01 AM
No prius, just a pickup. Been out there for a while. Don't have to sue every truck that passes me if you understand the post. You do read don't you? I'll just deal with the ones that are illegal if I have to. You know the ones, need a ladder to get into it and the driver most likely wears a hat backwards. Too stupid to figure out those instructions.

Apologies Vlad, I meant to quote and used edit!! Time for coffee!!

quaint bucket
08-11-2014, 09:11 AM
So what does that mean for people who got oversized (wide) tires that sticks out past their fenders a bit?

Vladimir Poutine
08-11-2014, 09:12 AM
The centerline of the bumper must fall within 380 to 560 mm above ground for carshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://bb.bc4x4.com/#) and the lowest part must be 750 mm (29.5")high or less for trucks weighing 4500 kg or less. The width of the bumper must be at least equal to the track width of the vehicle, and the horizontal surface must be at least 100 mm in width.

(This is from the Central Island Highway Patrol Website.)

BRvalley
08-11-2014, 09:33 AM
No prius, just a pickup. Been out there for a while. Don't have to sue every truck that passes me if you understand the post. You do read don't you? I'll just deal with the ones that are illegal if I have to. You know the ones, need a ladder to get into it and the driver most likely wears a hat backwards. Too stupid to figure out those instructions.

no worries bud, I can read..."IF I ever get hit"..."I'll deal with the illegal ones, IF I have to"....lot of if's there, lol...please do tell us how your eventual law suit goes...how long is "been out there for a while"?....threats of hypothetical road rage lawsuits just make me laugh, that's all

flying rocks are the least of my worries, flaps and fenders don't deflect every rock, living in BC you're gonna get hit with rocks sooner or later, and most likely often

Steeleco
08-11-2014, 09:38 AM
You guys are missing the point, this rule isn't about fining us for 1" out of whack, it's about saving ICBC lots of money. We pay $200 to $400 deductible IIRC for our new windshield, ICBC pays far more than that for some of these new SUV's and such.

I support going after those guys where the need is obvious, but the normal pick up owner shouldn't need flaps. My 07 F150 by the rule is off by 1.5" on the back so either I let the air ride down and tow like 90% of the clowns out there of hang flaps that likely won't change a thing?

kilometers
08-11-2014, 10:21 AM
So what does that mean for people who got oversized (wide) tires that sticks out past their fenders a bit?
Fail. Tires can't stick out passed outter must wheel well lip

ElliotMoose
08-11-2014, 10:32 AM

Yup, that means its time for fender flares. Besides, tires that stick out past fenders mean paint chips galore

Vladimir Poutine
08-11-2014, 10:36 AM
Apologies Vlad, I meant to quote and used edit!! Time for coffee!!

No worries. You're buying.

quaint bucket
08-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Yup, that means its time for fender flares. Besides, tires that stick out past fenders mean paint chips galore

Good to know. Not gonna matter because I'll just bump up from 235/75/15 to 30x9.5x15 when the time is right.

thanks

Cami
08-11-2014, 12:49 PM
I got a ticket for that as well and i had to put my truck threw an safety inspections.

BlackOwL
08-11-2014, 02:06 PM
I see it this way, those who resist and still don't want to put mud flaps is a bad idea from the practical point of view, if You pass in a dirt road another hunter and You send rocks flying to His/Her windshield, the hunter in question is going to take Your reg. number, added to the damage to the other vehicle You will pay a fine for not having mud flaps, if You hurt an individual the story gets worse, There is more, You will be charged for driving without consideration to others, at the end You will be left with a hole in Your pocket. Is a lot of money that You can use in ammo or hunting equipment.
I will always have My mud flaps and I will backup in the roads with care hoping to have a nice hunting season.
But those who resist at the end will be left in a non desirable situation.
Laws change even if previously models don't came with MF, now is the law, unless You go hunting in ballet slippers.:mrgreen:

BRvalley
08-11-2014, 02:16 PM
that SOB, no mud flaps on this truck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-eXSEDEB70&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

adriaticum
08-11-2014, 02:19 PM

This is staged

ruger#1
08-11-2014, 02:48 PM
OMG, I'm moving to Florida. Differrent laws there. http://youtu.be/8NnB9O1fWj4

Xenomorph
08-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Huh, so how about when some goof is tailgating me on a slick road and I need to put a tire on the shoulder to pepper him with gravel.
Btw I don't drive slow, conditions permitting.
I was tail-gated last week while I was doing 130km.
I pull over whenever it's safe to do so to let people pass, but don't ride my bumper unless you like to eat rocks.

I'm sorry, you hug the pebble shoulder doing 130km/h? Do you have a death wish or something?

I see it this way, those who resist and still don't want to put mud flaps is a bad idea from the practical point of view, if You pass in a dirt road another hunter and You send rocks flying to His/Her windshield, the hunter in question is going to take Your reg. number, added to the damage to the other vehicle You will pay a fine for not having mud flaps, if You hurt an individual the story gets worse, There is more, You will be charged for driving without consideration to others, at the end You will be left with a hole in Your pocket. Is a lot of money that You can use in ammo or hunting equipment.
I will always have My mud flaps and I will backup in the roads with care hoping to have a nice hunting season.
But those who resist at the end will be left in a non desirable situation.
Laws change even if previously models don't came with MF, now is the law, unless You go hunting in ballet slippers.:mrgreen:

Raised or not, if you're on public roads you need to mind the other drivers. I don't care how many people drive like idiots, if you join them, then you're an idiot too. Any cars with no fenders/flaps have only place on custom trails or on their well deserved queen-trailers ...period.

I think it's staged but the last comment was priceless "My mommy bought this for me!" *****!