PDA

View Full Version : Wing it in 7-42 or take advice and head up to Region 6?

albravo2
08-10-2014, 05:52 PM
So, for reasons beyond our control it doesn't look like our Tuchodi jet boat elk trip will happen this year. My son and I are both a bit bummed but still pretty excited about a late August trip.

Now, we just have to decide where and I'd like to hear a few opinions on where to head when original plans go south. Looking for an adventure and would like to fill the freezer with elk or moose. We really enjoyed hunting in the Tuchodi last year so I'm tempted to try and go back up that way.

Region 7-42 has an elk/moose opening but we know nothing about the area. Backroads mapbook and google earth don't show much in the way of road access.

We have an inflatable boat with a 30hp and we have a Rhino.

Our other option is heading up to Region 6. My sister's family have hunted the Dease Lake area for many years and can give us some good direction. We live in Squamish, so both are roughly the same distance.

So, go blind up to 7-42 and wing it or take some advice and head up to Region 6?

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

howa1500
08-10-2014, 07:32 PM
I use hunting as an excuse to explore the province, Sometimes to the detriment of immediate hunting success, I travel all over. I say go on an adventure!

Liveforthehunt
08-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Either route you cant go wrong the upside to 42 is you could get a chance at an elk good luck !

Cordillera
08-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Late August for moose in dease lake area can be tough. The bulls are often deep in the timber. If you can get up high you may find them in the alpine fringes but they won't come to the call then. I'd go for elk then as the early rut will be on.

ElliotMoose
08-12-2014, 02:16 PM
I also say go for the adventure! Be sure to post pictures of your trip. Good luck

browningboy
08-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Winging it is always a good time

Darksith
08-12-2014, 09:16 PM
speaking as someone that has "wung it" in 7-42, its a toughy. Like you said, there isn't much road access, the seismic lines aren't easy to ride in the rhino, and you are limited as to what you can do in the MKMA. Personally late august I would look elsewhere. I know some spots I have had luck for moose that are a bit south of that, I am no help when talking about elk up there, or anywhere for that matter, but some people have given me some tips. If you want I will PM you a spot or 2, just let me know. The hunt I would do in 7-42 is the redfern trail, but you gotta be carefull what the spec on your rhino is, you will need a trailer, and temps can cause havoc, breakdowns with only 1 machine there are a real concern and you gotta know how to get through some nice holes from what I have heard. Thats a dream hunt I have in mind one day soon, 3 or 4 atv's and some good friends go for 2 weeks into redfern.

08-12-2014, 10:06 PM
As said above about Dease area, moose are harder to find that early. They are up high and trying to keep cool in the timber. It is a good time to get a nice eating Caribou though, if you are interested in that let me know and I can PM you a couple spots you can get to easily with the Rhino....may find a moose as well!