PDA

View Full Version : Salt water fishing LML help

antileno
08-10-2014, 01:25 PM
So a good buddy of mine just got himself a boat for the ocean fishing but doesnt really know where to go locally in the LML to get some salmon. Its fully rigged out with down riggers etc and ready to troll just needs to know what area to head to. Was hoping to get a little insight from anyone with experience. He has asked me but i'm mostly a fly fishing guy and dont have any real ocean fishing knowlege. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

BigfishCanada
08-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Actually it takes practice, head out o the QA look for boats, troll, look at the reports online to see what species are there and use the appropriate lure. Try BCfishingreports dot com for info

Foxtail
08-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Green flashers, 3-6 foot leaders... Pink hoochie = sockeye slayer.

08-10-2014, 06:05 PM
3 to 6 foot leaders ???? NOT

Try 18 to 28 inch leaders with Mini Pink Hootchies behind flashers only fast enough to roll over ... Fraser mouth Sand heads to North Arm For Sox, the 50 to 80 foot range seems to be the ticket right now for sox. if ur targeting springs, do the 3 foot to 6 foot leader, troll quicker, try white or white and green hootchies, coyote spoons, chovie or herring. But right now the Sox are shaping up to be a great opportunity. and ..... its a real bonus to hammer a big spring on the hootchie set ups ! Giddy UP !

Good luck

weed782
08-10-2014, 06:40 PM
What curley top said and Pink Apartments Ambleside/mouth of Cap. area. for springs/coho. Experiment with differing bait and hoochies behind flasher. Maybe whitish. Fish drop off there.

ActionJackson017
08-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Yep, Sand Heads to QA is the ticket. We didn't manage to get in to any yesterday while out on the water but noticed that the water temp was up close to 70F. I had all our sockeye gear up in the 15-35 feet depth range, and apparently that was too shallow. I should have been running a squirt down at 100 feet instead of the lone rig I had set for a possible spring. Nice day though, saw a pod of dolphins about 50 feet away from us at one point.

08-11-2014, 10:38 PM
same thing continues, they are averaging 70 foot range for hook ups out there. no huge schools, caught our share today but lost just as many. Great day on the water

antileno
08-12-2014, 09:51 AM
great info guys, what is sand heads and qa though?

BigfishCanada
08-12-2014, 03:20 PM
I was out at the mouth last night, finder showed 1000000 fish and we saw schools swimming and out of 200 boats we saw maybe 4 get caught. I cant believe it but i was skunked (Sand heads and QA) pretty much meet out from the mouth of the fraser, if you look at a map of wreck beach, west of that. You will see all the boats when you get out that way.

ryanb
08-12-2014, 04:48 PM
If you're fishing the Fraser mouth for Sockeye they are all over. There is no need to pack into the one small space all the boats seem to want to fish. Pack mentality I guess, but it gets tiring dodging boats all day.

08-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Incredible out there yesterday got us ....... 3 limits lost more then that in the challenging water and tides. Or angle red pink and silver theme continues ........ Beautiful bullets like fish . Hope to get another chance

ct

MichelD
08-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Somebody please tell him what Sand Heads and QA mean.

08-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Sand heads is located down river near Steveston South Arm of the Fraser River. Q A marker located off North Arm Fraser River, about 3 miles straight out off north arm jetty towards South end of Bowen island .

Salty
08-15-2014, 09:36 PM
Well I hope you guys aren't getting sore arms yet cause there's a ton of sockeye to come your way yet they're stacked up like cord wood up here still! I was talking to a buddy in Alert Bay (sockeye central) and asked him if he thinks its as big as the 2010 run which I was there for and he thinks its even bigger. The seiners have been going nuts on and off for several weeks with exceptional success. They just announced a 5 day gill net opening which is insane, these days they normally only get several hours at a time. I don't know WTF has happened in the last few years its like someone turned on a switch. The sockeye are back! Maybe like never before!! Awesome :)

Kudu
08-15-2014, 10:21 PM
If you're fishing the Fraser mouth for Sockeye they are all over. There is no need to pack into the one small space all the boats seem to want to fish. Pack mentality I guess, but it gets tiring dodging boats all day.

Was out this morning trolling inside the South arm mouth - limited out before 10:30 running two down riggers at 15 and 20 foot - no need for trips out to sands head when it's bumpy.

Silver and red hotspots with squirts! Frankly I think that they would have nailed anything shiny with squirts swimming close behind.

I just laugh at all the boats going flat out, right over the top of the schools and schools of fish in their rush to get out deep! (With the pack)

antileno
08-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Awesome advice guys hoping to get out this week, super stoked! Thanks again!