PDA

View Full Version : Best hunting technics for moose, Dease lake area, end of August period.

sonturk
08-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Because of time constraint, I'm planning an hunting trip in the Dease Lake area, on the last week of August. Knowing that it is not the rutting period, bulls might not be responding to call and might not be active, what are the best hunting technics do you suggest? Should I focus on other species, like caribou? Take note that I don't have boat but I have a ATV.

.300WSMImpact!
08-10-2014, 12:54 PM
spot and stalk

Kilwinning
08-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Find areas that have sign, tracks,crap, and beds. They will bed down during the night when they are out feeding.
Hunt these areas first shooting light and last. look for meadows that are off the beaten path they don`t have to be big
but check them out for the above sign.

Fred1
08-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Call.... It will never hurt a hunt. You just need one curious! I have called moose in August in the okanagan in 30 degree weather. They are curious critters. Concentrate near any water. Early morning. Get there in the dark and light cow call. Quiet like... Don't over do it. Be patient. You just need one.... Boom!! ;). Good luck!!

Bluedsteel
08-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Call.... It will never hurt a hunt. You just need one curious! I have called moose in August in the okanagan in 30 degree weather. They are curious critters. Concentrate near any water. Early morning. Get there in the dark and light cow call. Quiet like... Don't over do it. Be patient. You just need one.... Boom!! ;). Good luck!!
Always worth a shot. I called in a young bull as well in July while showing a fisherman how I call for moose. Some are curious.

srupp
08-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Hmmm cool spots look for fog in the.am..thats the coldest location..usually a creek flowing into the lake...
Steven

ElliotMoose
08-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Yup water and cool spots.. Those will be your best bets at this time of the year. Also make sure to get that hide off ASAP and have either a refrigeration unit or someplace in mind to take the meat. The heat and the bugs can turn a tasty animal to shit pretty quick

Darksith
08-11-2014, 02:25 PM
cover ground, if it looks good, they are probably there, you just gotta catch em coming out.

Papa Sasquatch
08-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Last fall i was calling out early evening in the hills of Deas lake when just like that "snap" there was a pack of wolves looking for that moose (me)! Dont be alone. Ever! Its wilderness at its best and i would't change a thing.