PDA

View Full Version : Alberta pronghorn hunt

srupp
08-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Hmmmm so after 10 years I have drawn my once in a lifetime prong horn antelope tag.the season is 4 days long for us, Sounds like Brooks Alberta .some rifle range time needed and my 1200 Leica rangefinder..
Gonna use .270 with 140 gr boat tfail handloads..
Cheers elmer fuddruppster

Wild one
08-08-2014, 10:35 AM
As long as your host has gained permission on some good land you should do well.

Only thing I can give you is plan out your stalk because if they run they cover ground fast. I have not had the chance to hunt them but have friends who were successful on nice bucks out that way

Good luck Steve

BCHunterFSJ
08-08-2014, 10:55 AM
I hunted there last year and took a nice pronghorn!
Hunted with Silver Sage Outfitters and shot my animal on the first day out.
Are you using an outfitter or going on your own (with a host hunter I presume)?

d6dan
08-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Lucky bugger :-D. Good luck and I hope you get a good one Steven.

Walking Buffalo
08-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Good to hear Mr. Rupp.

The season is six days long. Which wmu group? Hunting with Springer? I might have some updated intel to share depending on where you will be hunting.

I'll be hunting prairie goats farther southeast hosting another HBC member.

It could be a very good year to take a big buck. There have been few tags issued for the last three years now and the herds are rebounding well after the 2010 die-off. Yup, this year and 2015 could be Very good years to hunt Pronghorns in Alberta. :)

srupp
08-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Hmmm yes hunting with Springer and his son I understand the area is just east of Brooks..
Hqd supper with the lads from Silver Sage at the WSSBC..nice guys..really nice guys.
So its huntet host program for me..lol and that intel was.? Lol

Cheers steven

Springer
08-09-2014, 12:11 AM
We will be hunting the 150's.....Springer is guide and cameraman but also throwing in his Bow accompanied with archery Elk tag..Dale if you have any intel by all means lets chat. theres tons of EID land to hunt.

Blacktail
08-09-2014, 04:40 AM
Yup down my neck of the woods
There are some dandy bucks out there this year

srupp
08-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Yup down my neck of the woods
There are some dandy bucks out there this year

Any particular area Blacktail...never hunted a speed goat..

Steven

Blacktail
08-09-2014, 02:16 PM
In 150 and 151 just north of the Suffield block

srupp
08-09-2014, 04:24 PM
hmmm Blacktail maybe I can host you on a BC hunt?? of course any info you want to send Springer is appreciated...he is already handicapped with me ..lol

Steven

Walking Buffalo
08-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Hmmm yes hunting with Springer and his son I understand the area is just east of Brooks..
Hqd supper with the lads from Silver Sage at the WSSBC..nice guys..really nice guys.
So its huntet host program for me..lol and that intel was.? Lol

Cheers steven

I hear Karma can be a bitch or a babe, so I know you deserve some helpful payback for all you share with fellow hunters. :)

Intel potential was based on where your hunt is. Unfortunately I don't expect to be in those wmus over the next couple of months, but I will have some spies out there. Without a doubt I'll pass on what I can. You and Springer are welcome to contact me with any questions.

Isn't it great that Alberta lets BC residents access to our Draw hunts?

Whatever happened to that AB/BC open trade/reciprocal access agreement? :confused:

We will be hunting the 150's.....Springer is guide and cameraman but also throwing in his Bow accompanied with archery Elk tag..Dale if you have any intel by all means lets chat. theres tons of EID land to hunt.

Will do. Let me know what you need to know. Don't forget a tripod for the camera.

Blacktail
08-10-2014, 12:12 AM
I will be picking up a general archery elk tag and trying 151 so will keep an eye out for sure
It is only about 40 minutes for me up that way and I have seen some really nice antelope in the 150 this spring
If you applied for hunt code 807 then you would be in WMU 150,151,152
They are all good units for antelope and the area between the Suffield block and the river is really choice with the bucks I mentioned

srupp
08-10-2014, 12:15 AM
Hhmmmm thanks bro.....try and pass on what I know...sheesh 3 photos coming this week of folks from this site that I helped get a bear, a Exellent caribou..and an Amazing sheep..all did a wonderful job of getting her done...Im sure someone will drop a quarter to Springer and make this pronghorn gig happen

It all goes round and round...

Cheers
Steven

srupp
08-10-2014, 12:18 AM
Hmmm one of the members here drew a grizzly tag for this fall...a
And I think? His sister and husband own some propery near brooks?

Steven

Blacktail
09-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Steven

Let me know when and where you guys will be hunting
Might be in town and can maybe run scout for you

Ambush
09-02-2014, 07:41 PM
I just drove through there on my way to and from Elkwater. Saw a few herds around Redcliff and some scattered around SE of Brooks. Looks like the bucks are gathering girls.

I've got some family connections in Unit 104. Should I be looking at opportunities there?

Blacktail
09-02-2014, 08:26 PM
The 104 is not bad as it is one of the most southern units
I think you would have a better chance in 102 or 118

Blacktail
09-02-2014, 08:30 PM
The 104 is not bad as it is one of the most southern units
I think you would have a better chance in 102 or 118

srupp
09-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Hmmm thanks guys,,, Springer is my hunt host...I dont know anything about the area...however Please feel free to pass all info on to Springer...yes the same Phil that JUST shot a BC caribou...Oops
Any family conections would Gladly be accepted..Im not too proud to ask...ok beg...lol
I never will get this chance again..
Thank you to all..
Cheers
Steven

James M
09-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Good luck. I think you will be able to smack a fantastic buck. There's not a whole lot of tags out there and I didn't see any other antelope hunters when I got mine last year.

Ambush
09-03-2014, 07:17 PM
August 2014. Wyoming. DIY

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Wyoming_2014_063_1024x768_.jpg

srupp
09-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Hmmmm now Thats what I be talkin about...amazing 500 yard shot with a bow..lol what an acomplishment...string and stick
Steven

srupp
09-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Hmmm anything out of the ordinary needed? Great optics..rifle ..270 shooting 140 gr boattails..handloaded with some oomph..taped the trajevtory out to 500 yards on the stock..Leica 1200 rangefinder..awesome taxidermist in Red Deer...Sugar creek Taxidermy...Marco Pilon...

Any suggestions......
Steven

srupp
09-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Hmmm anything out of the ordinary needed? Great optics..rifle ..270 shooting 140 gr boattails..handloaded with some oomph..taped the trajevtory out to 500 yards on the stock..Leica 1200 rangefinder..awesome taxidermist in Red Deer...Sugar creek Taxidermy...Marco Pilon...

Any suggestions......
Steven

Rackmastr
09-05-2014, 09:14 PM
A good pair of gloves that can handle some cactus, etc. Some guys even go as far as bringing knee pads for cactus, but I havent used them when hunting. Archery hunting you'd probably use them more but if you do enough stalks you'll end up putting your hands, knees, hips, etc into a cactus sooner or later lol.

srupp
09-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Hmmm great tip on the kneepads...
?..? What does a respectable pronghorn buck look like? 12 inch horns? Lol a wing and a prayer..
The rifle is on...any oopses will be operator error..
Srupp

Rackmastr
09-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Dont worry only about length. Just like all horned game, mass can make up a ton of scoring.

That country can produce...aim for a heavy buck with good 'cutters/prong' and anything in the 13-15" range starts being a great trophy. I've seen some hogs that score amazingly well and are only 13" long. A 15" skinny buck with a small prong may score less than the same heavier 'short' buck.

Take a look at Silver Sage's website to give you an idea of what some big bucks look like. Hold your finger off the trigger and you'll get comfy looking at a bunch of bucks until you find the 'right' one....

Blacktail
09-06-2014, 06:00 AM
sounds like you have the equipment Steven
the size depends on you
Springer will let you know if its a good one

Walking Buffalo
09-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Shooting sticks. They can make the difference in having a shot.

Imo, Leather gloves and knee pads are a must. Get the knee pads covered with a layer of hard leather to stop the spines.
Think twice and look three times before sitting down. DO NOT scurry along dragging your butt. :lol:

Bring some pins and tweezers for a nightly round of cactus needle removal.

Blacktail
09-06-2014, 07:56 AM
oooooooooh ya!!

forgot about the little cactus.....lol:shock:

srupp
09-06-2014, 02:25 PM
hmmm just picked up jell filled hard exterior work knee pads best I could get...and tough leather work style gloves..been watching videos of pronghorn..and scouted Sage outfitters photos of pronghorns from Brooks area...have a large coleman salmon cooler to load up any meat IF successful and the head stays in Red Deer for Marcos artistry..

Slowly getting the stuff organized...had another WILDLY successful sheep hunter check in..and a couple photos of giant coastal grizzlies..makes me want to hunt for me....lol

keep the tips and tricks and iny intel coming I appreciate it...I did mention this will be my only chance??lol

cheers

Srupp

Blacktail
09-06-2014, 02:35 PM
I am goin for a drive tomorrow morning south of the river in the 150's
will keep you in mind and let springer know whats goin on

srupp
09-06-2014, 03:14 PM
hmmm THANKS bro...appreciate the effort...Springer knows the zones..IF he is finished cutting up his caribou meat..

I believe this is the only large game animal I have yet to actually hunt?(in Alberta or BC)

steven

Rackmastr
09-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Another good one that WB pointed out....shooting sticks!

srupp
09-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Hmmm what I have done is use my tripod , snap off the spotter and coat over the tripod...also have a short Harris bipod on the rifle...
Great tips.....
Appreciate them all
Steven

srupp
09-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Hmmm read what Springer said here about hunting the 150 s...so how many tags are issued for non resident Canadians and Alberta residents ? Draw code 12? So I gotta get one over 5 inch horns..
Season is sept 30...to oct 5..so 400 hunters ? In this 150 s zones or 1000 tags...seems an incredibly short season

Cheers and much thanks
Will give me memories to relive during upcoming 4 surgeries...getting it done cuz lots of hospital time starts oct 22......
Cheers
Gimpy

srupp
09-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Hmm anything different on caping a pronhorn? Hollow hair that is brittle, and stains easy...same incisions as a deer?
Srupp

goatdancer
09-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Hmmm what I have done is use my tripod , snap off the spotter and coat over the tripod...also have a short Harris bipod on the rifle...
Great tips.....
Appreciate them all
Steven

Is it a tripod that swivels?

srupp
09-06-2014, 11:26 PM
Yes the head swivels and it can be extended to stand sraight up standing shooting...kinda wishedcI had bought the taller harris bipod ...this short on is for prone shots...
Srupp

Walking Buffalo
09-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Hmm anything different on caping a pronhorn? Hollow hair that is brittle, and stains easy...same incisions as a deer?
Srupp

The hair is very brittle and the skin is very thin. Use the same cuts to cape and wash any blood off asap,
bring a jug of water for this purpose.

If the goat has been eating sage, you are in for a taste treat.... stinkalope....
If it has stayed away from the buffalo grass (sage) then it will be some of the best eating you ever had.

The advantage to having tall shooting sticks is to be able to get some hight from behind any ridge tops.
Once pressured the goats will spot any movement crawling along the horizon and take off at 100kmh. Have
Sticks that you can use from a sitting or kneeling position.

Don't be in a rush to shoot early in the hunt. Most hunters will only be out for one or two days and then
the place will go quiet. Those that stick around will have plenty of goats to hunt without any competition.

IronNoggin
09-07-2014, 10:02 AM
All Good Advice!

Couple more for you...

Get the hide OFF the antelope as soon as you can! They need to heat sink immediately, or they will sour. Treated right, this is some of the best grits around.

Pronghorn tend to rely on their eyesight as their Distant Early Warning System much more than most other game animals. Their eyes have been compared to a man's with 8x binocs! Don't skyline!
Due to their reliance on their eyes, they tend to not move in the dark. When guiding for these critters years ago, one of our best tactics was as follows: Find a good "Shooter" and watch him from afar until he beds for the night. Pay particular attention to the terrain around him, map it out carefully. Arrive back on site a good hour (or two) before first light. Carefully make your way in to ~ 200 yards of where you put the bugger to bed and wait for daylight. When he gets up for his morning stretch, you will have a relaxed shot. This paid of for us far more often than not.

Here's a picture of my brother's first antelope. 18+" that scored very well:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/1989_Marks_First_Antelope_3.jpg

Same general area as you will be hunting...

Hope you find your Biggie Buddy!

Good Luck & Straight Shootin'! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
09-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Thank you gents
Amazing pronghorn
Steven

Duk Dog
09-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Best of luck on your hunt, they are a ton of fun and good eats as well IMO. As Rackmastr had mentioned one of the main components to score is mass and more mass.

Blacktail
09-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Steven

went for that drive and saw 3 separate herds with a couple nice bucks
I will PM springer

srupp
09-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Thank you very much
Cheers
Steven

mountainman
09-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Good luck Buddy! In a few years I might pull a tag for those...

srupp
09-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Hmmm thanks Joe...this was a 10 year wait while I accrued enough senority..
Is there any special solution or product to remove blood off the cape in the field? Or just water
Capes soak up blood...hollow hair and brittle ie easily broken hair..no rough handling or dragg7ng etc
Steven

digger dogger
09-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Treat it like its a sheep, its only a dead animal.
Didnt someone say bring water jug?? And rinse off the blood!

Walking Buffalo
09-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Bring a gamecart.

Blacktail
09-08-2014, 10:14 AM
pronghorn have a really bad habit of slipping hair
Advice to cool it and skin it quick is well founded.
I have seen guys animals where it wasn't cooled quick enough and the hair came out in huge clumps

srupp
09-08-2014, 01:46 PM
thanks guys all great information. that I do appreciate...diggerdogger..exactly what taxidermist extrordinair Mr Marco Pilon from Sugar Creek taxidermy in Red Deer told me this am..water and little soap..carefully wash the blood off immediately...also I will put some cloth rags in the throat and nose so blood doesn't leak out...
10-4 on immediate caping and cooling of meat..

appreciate all the fine tips....

cheers

Steven

Blacktail
09-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Springer and Steven

this guy good enough?
same area I told Springer about

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/blacktail243/pronghorn_zps50aa0b37.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/user/blacktail243/media/pronghorn_zps50aa0b37.jpg.html)

srupp
09-13-2014, 07:23 PM
Omg !,, seriously ? He looks amazing...what sized rope did you use to tie him up with? Lol
Could you be so kind as to give me your estimate at size? Im guessing 7 inch tall cutters...6 inch circ...and 14 inch length? Absolute brilliant coup...yes in a heartbeat I would shoot...
Hope Springer sees this and remembers..lol
Thank you!
Cheers
Steven

Blacktail
09-13-2014, 07:39 PM
I would give him at least 75 inches. Good mass and length but might fall short of Boone and Crockett

srupp
09-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Hmmm my standards are significantly lower....hes a beaut for sure wouldnt hesitate...
Thank you...
Just be pleased getting to finally see one...and if chance at adult ...absolutley...can hardly wait....
Cheers and thank you for the photo..
Steven

Springer
09-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Springer and Steven

this guy good enough?

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/blacktail243/pronghorn_zps50aa0b37.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/user/blacktail243/media/pronghorn_zps50aa0b37.jpg.html)

Ya some Good weight and Great Heart shape on that Buck...

srupp
09-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Awesome cape on him...good looking girl friend without lipdtick Springer..lol
Steven potty mouth

Walking Buffalo
09-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Springer, DO NOT let Srupp carry any ammo. :)

A Pronghorn must be viewed from both the front and more importantly the side to judge its size. Learn the relative legths of body parts
for comparisons. Ears are 6" long. Eyes are 2" in diameter.

I have a different impression on the size of that goat. Look at the ears. They are above the prong. This buck is likely under 13" in length and the mass does not seem above average, but the side view is need to determine this and prong length.
Most hunters look for prongs that are completely above the ear. This guys prongs are completely below the ear.

As a guess, this buck is probably around 65", maybe less.

Srupp, you will have the chance to see dozens of bucks (likely dozens a day). Take your time before pulling the trigger.

srupp
09-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Hmmm good idea....see I really have no idea on pronghorn...oppsie...
Fred

srupp
09-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Hmmmmm is it time yet???
Lol
Cheers
Impatient

albravo2
09-18-2014, 08:41 PM
You're impatient??

I'm impatient waiting for your story.

Great meeting you in August. We had no luck but had a great trip.

srupp
09-19-2014, 12:29 AM
Hmmm glad it was good hunt, yapretty jacked up about the speed goat trip...I helped phil gat a monster 10 pound rainbow last year here flyfishing...so in yurn he has promised me a 10 pound pronghorn...hahalol....
Steven

srupp
09-21-2014, 10:44 PM
hmmm one of Susans amazing meals elk lasagne with 5 different cheeses..apple pies, choclat chip coookies..chicken tetrazzini...thank you Susan
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_59270001.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/srupp/media/SRR_59270001.jpg.html)

srupp
09-21-2014, 10:47 PM
hmmm this dish could serve 8 adults hope Phil and Blaze bring their A game for eating...
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_59280001.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/srupp/media/SRR_59280001.jpg.html)

yummmmmmmmmmmm

Steven

Springer
09-22-2014, 07:36 AM
I am not hosting you because of the 10lb Rainbow , I am hosting so i can have some more of Susans delicious meals..

Leaseman
09-22-2014, 09:03 AM
I am not hosting you because of the 10lb Rainbow , I am hosting so i can have some more of Susans delicious meals..

Susan is a good cook isn't she phil!

Steve even seemed to enjoy my cooking....I think he just likes someone to look after him!!!:mrgreen:

sheephunterab
09-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Just got back from three days of archery antelope hunting and the rut is in full swing. I was disappointed in the quality of bucks this year. We put on a lot of miles and only saw two of what I would classify as exceptional bucks and only a handful of decent bucks. Numbers overall were significantly down from last year and so was overall quality. I heard it's worse in the Brooks area. That said, there are still plenty of bucks around but the fussy scale may have to be downgraded a bit. It's always a fun hunt. I'd say knee pads and a bipod are a must and of course you can't put a price on good glass...well then again I guess you can but it's important. I'm sure you'll have a blast!

srupp
09-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Hmmm waiting for this for 10 years...never seen one alive..never going to get a draw again..
Your reputation puts your words at face value..and I believe you about size and numbers..
However...I only need one...
Aleays enjoy all your adventures, your knowlege and sharing..
Yes we have exceptional optics Swaro spotting scope...binos...rifle is sighted in for optimum longer shots if needed..
Not looking to set the new world record.....just a respctable adult buck...
Its dawn to dusk for the 6 days..plus the 2 days of scouting
Thank you for your advice...certainly appreciated...from such a respected hunting authority..
Cheers
Steven

I hope you did well.

Springer
09-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Just got back from three days of archery antelope hunting and the rut is in full swing. I was disappointed in the quality of bucks this year. We put on a lot of miles and only saw two of what I would classify as exceptional bucks and only a handful of decent bucks. Numbers overall were significantly down from last year and so was overall quality. I heard it's worse in the Brooks area. That said, there are still plenty of bucks around but the fussy scale may have to be downgraded a bit. It's always a fun hunt. I'd say knee pads and a bipod are a must and of course you can't put a price on good glass...well then again I guess you can but it's important. I'm sure you'll have a blast!

So TJ did you hunt the 150's or is it just rumour the numbers are down..Did you connect with a Broadhead ?

sheephunterab
09-23-2014, 06:58 AM
No I hunted the deep south. The info about the 150s is from a couple of biologists plus a couple friends that recently hunted there and a couple trips I've taken through there this year. I think you'll be somewhat disappointed but with that said, I'm sure you guys will still see lots of antelope and there are a few good bucks around but after the way last season was looking, it's surprising what this year held. I thought this was to be "the" year. I have no doubt you can still kill a decent buck though. I ended up chasing one particular buck last week, definitely over 80, and he just out smarted us. Had him at 80-90 yards a couple times but that was it. Decided just to have some fun on the last afternoon and decoyed 5 bucks in but no animals were harmed.

srupp
09-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Hmmm I thought there were 200 tags for the 150s and the season starts next week?
Cheers
Steven

sheephunterab
09-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Hmmm I thought there were 200 tags for the 150s and the season starts next week?
Cheers
Steven

There is an early archery season. Ya, no one can figure out why they gave so many tags out. Their management or lack there of, of antelope in the past couple years has been mindbogglingly. I spend over a month each summer working on an antelope project in southern Alberta so it's fairly easy to track trends and their tag numbers don't line up with what's going on.

srupp
09-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Hmmm thanks Tj..appreciate the information..got the tag gonna give it hell for my o e chance...using rifle so maybe a chance will present itself...
Thanks again TJ exellent shows enjoy them all..
Cheers
Steven

sheephunterab
09-23-2014, 06:25 PM
I'm sure you'll get a decent one for sure.....it's not total devastation....just a downswing...plus you have a pretty good guide/host!

srupp
09-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Hmmk yes...yes I do.
Thanks TJ
Steven

goatdancer
09-24-2014, 02:32 PM
What are you taking for a rifle? My buddy used a 257 Roberts a few years ago and the wind drift was was 2 1/2 feet at about 200 yds.
BTW I checked my draw info and am at priority 1 so next year we'll be chasing those beasties again.
Good luck on your hunt.

sheephunterab
09-24-2014, 03:14 PM
If you are priority 1 you can count on another 7 or 8 years before drawing a rifle tag in Alberta.

goatdancer
09-24-2014, 05:47 PM
If you are priority 1 you can count on another 7 or 8 years before drawing a rifle tag in Alberta.

Sorry. You are right.:icon_frow I thought it worked in the other direction. It's been 8 or 9 years since our last draw and the memory don't work so good any more. Hell, I just might be way too old to chase speed goats.:icon_frow

srupp
09-24-2014, 10:06 PM
Goatdancer..using a .270 Browning A bolt that was worked over by Alberta tactical..usong Hornady 140 grain boat tails..hand loads...the rifle was shooting 1 inch groups at 200 yars using a lead sled..
Its 2 inches high at 200 yards..no holover out to 400 yards..hmm used this rifle for 13 yesrs or so..
Scope is Leupold 3...10 x
It has taken 10 years for the priority to draw this tag...
Thanks
Steven

Walking Buffalo
09-24-2014, 10:13 PM
I have been hearing the same horn size reports as TJ mentioned. Lots of average bucks with just
A sprinkle of really big ones.

According to new research hypothesis, this all makes sense. Apparently the most important factor in horn size is the health
of the mother during pregnancy. Pronghorns born after a hard winter are unlikely to ever achieve exceptional horn size. While i hoped that this year would prove better for horn size, I suspect that based on this theory that.2015 is going to be much better.

Srupp, try out those kneepads before commiting to them. Most kneepads are not meant for crawling and can quickly become very uncomfortable. Personally I use loose fitting regular volleyball kneepads covered with some leather.

kennyj
09-25-2014, 05:59 AM
Hi Steven,
Have a great hunt. Looking forward to story and photos. I've always thought pronghorns were very cool!
kenny

IronNoggin
09-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Best of Luck Steve!

Hope to soon see you appearing with a Huge Grin in a picture similar to this:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/1989_Matt_and_Rick_Antelope.jpg

Have FUN Buddy! Right looking forward to the pictures & report!! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

goatdancer
09-25-2014, 10:24 AM
Goatdancer..using a .270 Browning A bolt that was worked over by Alberta tactical..usong Hornady 140 grain boat tails..hand loads...the rifle was shooting 1 inch groups at 200 yars using a lead sled..
Its 2 inches high at 200 yards..no holover out to 400 yards..hmm used this rifle for 13 yesrs or so..
Scope is Leupold 3...10 x
It has taken 10 years for the priority to draw this tag...
Thanks
Steven

Our first hunt took about that long to get. We hunted down in the extreme south east corner and the wind was pretty brutal down there. Have a good hunt.

srupp
09-25-2014, 12:20 PM
hmmm thanks guys will do...going to try my best...really what we have is a tag...and then do our best..6 days does not give much time...but all we need is 2 pronghorn...Blaze and me..with the famous Alberta hunter host Springer..

very thank ful for the opportunity...
cheers
Elmer

sheephunterab
09-25-2014, 01:17 PM
Six days is actually a pretty long time. The great thing about antelope is that they are typically quite visible and you are hunting all day..unlike deer or elk where you only get a few hours a day. I'd say most hunts only go a day or two, especially if you are able to scout a bit. Put lots of miles on the truck for a couple days of scouting, find a qualified candidate and kill opening morning is the best case scenario. After that they do get a bit run around.

goatdancer
09-25-2014, 04:43 PM
Six days is actually a pretty long time. The great thing about antelope is that they are typically quite visible and you are hunting all day..unlike deer or elk where you only get a few hours a day. I'd say most hunts only go a day or two, especially if you are able to scout a bit. Put lots of miles on the truck for a couple days of scouting, find a qualified candidate and kill opening morning is the best case scenario. After that they do get a bit run around.

We got to look around a bit for 1 day before the season opened and they didn't seem too sketchy so we thought we had it made. After day 2 the critters were always on the run. Good advise to try get one opening morning. We asked the locals why the critters turned so sketchy and they told us that most of the time there's only half a dozen vehicles a day on the road but when the season kicks in all of a sudden there are dozens all day. Made for a lot of white butts hightailing it over the rise at 25-40 mph.

srupp
09-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Hmmmm thank you to everyone for your experiences, knowlge, advice and well wishes..its to bed and leaving at 530 am sept 26..scouting 27...28..hunting starts 29..
I do appreciate 3,000 hits and I havnt left the house...im in good hands we have good gear, now we just have to try...and catch a break...
Will post photos and results..may not be imediatly as I leave the day I get back from the pronghorn hunt for my 2 week moose hunt leh locally. Then a couple weeks for knee surgery and then leh deer hunt..
Thanks again to everyone..
Cheers
Steven

markomoose
09-26-2014, 02:25 AM
Hmmmm thank you to everyone for your experiences, knowlge, advice and well wishes..its to bed and leaving at 530 am sept 26..scouting 27...28..hunting starts 29..
I do appreciate 3,000 hits and I havnt left the house...im in good hands we have good gear, now we just have to try...and catch a break...
Will post photos and results..may not be imediatly as I leave the day I get back from the pronghorn hunt for my 2 week moose hunt leh locally. Then a couple weeks for knee surgery and then leh deer hunt..
Thanks again to everyone..
Cheers
Steven
Kinda busy this fall Mr Rupp??

digger dogger
09-26-2014, 07:18 AM

The first time I hunted antelope, the hunt lasted 45mins on opening morning.
400+yds.

srupp
09-30-2014, 11:51 PM
hmmmm ya we did!!!!! x 2............. one opening am..mine opening afternoon...good night..

cheers

Steven

250 sav
10-01-2014, 06:02 AM
look forward to details and pics

IronNoggin
10-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Congrats Steve!

Now bring on The Facts & The Pictures Man!! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
10-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Hmmk slept in till 8 am...then helped a grizzly hunter..packed trailer, atv etc gone on my leh moose hunt..
Bad Steven

fuzzybiscuit
10-01-2014, 07:42 PM
What the hell!!?? Steven, Steven, Steven... (shakes head)

Get your priorities straight man...forget all the people out in real people land...we come first...! Hmmm!!

Blacktail
10-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Springer and Steven

this guy good enough?

The buck from this pic I posted was shot by a buddy of mine and he green scored 72 5/8

Rackmastr
10-14-2014, 01:15 PM
Pics SRUPP!!!! We need pics!

fuzzybiscuit
10-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Pics SRUPP!!!! We need pics!

X2

Hmmmmmm.

srupp
10-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Hmmmm sheeesh a guys word isnt enough? Lol..working as fast as this old guy can from the pronghorn hunt then harvesting a mulie...then 12 days of moose..cleaning up truvk trailer..gear..furnace in house problems..getting ready for surgery..ya a lot going on..soon grasshopper..very soon
Steven

fuzzybiscuit
10-15-2014, 07:13 AM
I some how missed the patience line...but I did manage to find the hair on your back line. I must have got in it a few times.

Looking forward to a picture of a dead speed goat Steven.

Springer
10-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Steve i told you a Pronghorn with 6" of horn length is still legal ! Whats the hold up..

srupp
10-15-2014, 03:48 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_59730001.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/srupp/media/SRR_59730001.jpg.html)

srupp
10-15-2014, 03:49 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_59530001.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/srupp/media/SRR_59530001.jpg.html)

srupp
10-15-2014, 03:50 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_59720001.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/srupp/media/SRR_59720001.jpg.html)

Blainer
10-15-2014, 03:56 PM
It was a long painful wait for the picture, but glad to see your success.
Your lope will look good on the wall!

srupp
10-15-2014, 04:00 PM
story in am..

steven

goatdancer
10-15-2014, 06:19 PM
That's a nice looking speed goat. My buddy has one on his wall. They sure look neat. The colour combinations are really something.

srupp
10-15-2014, 06:35 PM
That's a nice is ooking speed goat. My buddy has one on his wall. They sure look neat. The colour combinations are really something.
Thank you..he carries some weight...and Is symetrical and pretty animal...am imensly pleased.
Steven

kennyj
10-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Very nice buck! They sure are cool looking.
Looking forward to the story.
kenny

180grainer
10-15-2014, 09:38 PM
That's a nice looking animal. Congrats.

kayjayess
10-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Congratulations Steven. Very nice looking prairie pronghorn.

fuzzybiscuit
10-16-2014, 04:46 AM
Great buck Steven! Sure are a cool looking animal.

Looking forward to to the story.

rifleman
10-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Congrats. Nice lookin buck,,, full mount would fit somewhere....

d6dan
10-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Good looking goat Steven. Looks like you had some good weather also..

coach
10-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Congratulations, Steven! Great looking goat. Definitely a "bucket list" animal.

Blacktail
10-16-2014, 04:28 PM
nice one Steven
what did he score out at?
looking forward to the story

srupp
10-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Hmmm didnt score him...he was a good one according to Springer..I like him..the story is just ridiculous..
Thanks for the compliments..
Cheers
Steven

nature girl
10-16-2014, 06:20 PM
Nice Steven. Now that is a animal I would love to get one day.

Blacktail
10-17-2014, 06:33 AM
respectable buck for sure
pronghorn measurements are mostly all about circumference and length measurements on each horn and the length of the prong from the main beam.
The prongs look to be around the 2 1/2 -3 inch mark and mass is decent
with that horn length he should score in the mid sixties for sure
a respectable buck for sure and will look awesome on the wall

srupp
10-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Thank you Blacktail..appreciate the insight from knowlegable individual.
Steven

Wild one
10-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Congrats Steve speed goat steaks are awsome

Rackmastr
10-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Good job Srupp....congrats and thanks for sharing the pics, the planning, etc....

Blacktail
10-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Thank you Blacktail..appreciate the insight from knowlegable individual.
Steven
Yup too bad I wasn't in town for your hunt
You guys could have camped out here and shared a few cold ones every night

Springer
10-17-2014, 07:33 PM
I will have to look you up when i am back down that way Blacktail..Whats your opinion on the Elk down there that they are threatening to Cull instead of giving out tags..
I know where next years archery Elk hunt will be with my Sons.Nuff said!

Blacktail
10-18-2014, 10:17 AM
it has taken ten years for the federal government to decide that they needed a hunt in the base to control the population
I don't think they will be in any hurry to authorize a cull anytime soon

I here ya on the archery elk....lol

Springer
10-19-2014, 04:12 PM
it has taken ten years for the federal government to decide that they needed a hunt in the base to control the population
I don't think they will be in any hurry to authorize a cull anytime soon

I here ya on the archery elk....lol

Don't mean to steal Steves thread but heres more on the Elk around suffield. If he gets a chance in his busy retirement to write up his story he may include some of the Elk we saw.
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/herd-of-8...cull-1.2052516 (http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/herd-of-8-000-wild-elk-too-far-gone-to-control-rancher-demands-mass-cull-1.2052516)

if the Alberta Government wanted to open up a few thousand tags and this particular zone to even bowhunters there would be all sorts of hunters wanting an opportunity to hunt them that never got drawn.

srupp
10-19-2014, 07:59 PM
Hmmm did see lots of elk..and a few beauties fer sure..lol story is coming ..overwhelmed with all the great parts...
You did wonderful Phil...I will get it done..
Thank you again
Elmer fudd ruppster

.264winmag
10-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Congrats! I'm not too familiar with antelope but is that not a Dandy! I've heard the only better eating animal is a thin horn sheep?

Springer
10-20-2014, 02:11 AM
I havent had the Opportunity to eat any thinhorn Sheep but i can vouch for the Antelope !! Just wish there was more of it in my freezer.

Mik
10-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Seems there was a ton of planning for this trip that paid off. Congrats Steven.

srupp
10-20-2014, 08:49 AM
Hmm 1o years to be exact...all the knowlege and skill was Phil..Ibsaw my first pronghorn 5 miles and 48 hrs from where I spotted this guy and harvested him.
Steven

IronNoggin
10-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Don't mean to steal Steves thread but heres more on the Elk around suffield. If he gets a chance in his busy retirement to write up his story he may include some of the Elk we saw.
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/herd-of-8...cull-1.2052516 (http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/herd-of-8-000-wild-elk-too-far-gone-to-control-rancher-demands-mass-cull-1.2052516)

if the Alberta Government wanted to open up a few thousand tags and this particular zone to even bowhunters there would be all sorts of hunters wanting an opportunity to hunt them that never got drawn.

Just got off the horn with a Good Buddy over that way. He well knows his way around, and has been watching this elk herd expand for many years. Says now with over 8,000 of them in the one area, they represent the Largest herd (and elk density) in the Province. Also says the restrictions are FAR too tight, and that any possibility of simply maintaining their numbers under today's restrictive hunting opportunities are a Fool's Dream. Instead, he (and I) suspect they are looking at a continued population explosion, something damn near guaranteed to force the "cull" mentality to the forefront. MUCH better idea to liberalize the seasons and numbers available to hunters! BTW: He also noted seeing several dozen bulls there this fall alone that would "top 400 inches upstairs". Time to start applying! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
10-20-2014, 02:30 PM
printed out the story..now cant get it transferred over here grrrrrrrr
steven

srupp
10-25-2014, 10:59 AM
So after 10 years of apply for the permit I finally won the coveted trophy pronghorn tag for Alberta zones 150 and 151 and 152. I would first like to thank Roxanne Phils wonderful wife for allowing Phil to come hunting and opening up their wonderful home for my visit. And of course Susan my lovely wife for her patience and allowing me to go hunting and all many wonderful meals prepared for our trip.
In desperate need of two hip replacements, and two knee replacements.. Resulting in the necessity to use a cane it was kind of funny the fastest land animal in North America capable of 100 km an hour versus the slowest Hunter from British Columbia... Top speed 100 m an hour..lol
I left Williams Lake and headed red deer Alberta where I met up with my hunter host Springer and the following morning we met up with Marco Pilon from Sugar Creek taxidermy.. For some tips on proper care of a pronghorn cape. After purchasing the pronghorn tags and Hunter licenses for Alberta we hook up with Phils travel trailer and the two trucks headed south east to our hunt location. We took the scenic route southeast Calgary and soon I could hear Phils excited voice over the walkie-talkie.." Steve .. Pronghorn on the left.! And I got to see my very first live pronghorn. It was smaller than I thought, and much lighter color but it was beautiful. We soon arrived at our camping spot it was semi private, semi-locked, semi-gated and only one other visitors that in another group of pronghorn hunters.

srupp
10-25-2014, 11:26 AM
I have to agree with TJ over the next two days we covered over 600 km and saw very few pronghorn and not many shooters.. We saw lots of deer and lots of elk.. Somewhere exceptionally large.. And of course miles and miles of complete flatness. One of the ranchers was outraged over the amount of permits for pronghorn and indeed one of the residence of Patricia that had a tag thought that.there were only 12 tags given out.. And was livid when he heard that there were actually 206 tags. In my opinion the amount of tags were excessive, the amount of hunters excessive, and the amount of huntable pronghorn bucks was very limited. Obviously they still had not recovered from their winter die offs. We also had the privilege of having Phils son Blaze... Along with us as he also had a pronghorn tag that had taken him 12 years to obtain to obtain Blaze is a very fine gentlemen.. With a great sense of humor extremely helpful and a fun type of guy to have at camp.

srupp
10-25-2014, 11:50 AM
The first day we arrived was limited to the two last hours of the afternoon in driving around and scouting, and the next day we drove for 10 hours and covered hundreds of kilometers. We saw some exceptionally large elk and we saw one shooter pronghorn... With the amount of competition we decided to try for that pronghorn first thing in the morning. So September 29 opening morning of the pronghorn hunt found this along the river while still pitchdark. As the morning sun hit the vast open landscape we found our group of pronghorn.. So as it was out of the question that I would make this stalk it was decided that Blaze and Phil would make the two km stalk.. An hour later I heard one solitary shot and shortly thereafter Phil called on the cell phone... Pronghorn down!!!! The first hour in the opening morning and we had one of the two pronghorn already harvested... What a tremendous start. We drove to where the problem was and after some photos and ensure the license was properly attached, deposited the meat in a large cooler headed back to camp for lunch

after lunch we decided headed the opposite direction, as we were driving I noticed a group of about 13 pronghorn pop up on our right and I pointed this out to Phil..... As Alberta has a road every 300 m so we took the next road and try to intercept the pronghorn... Only we did too good of a job and got busted at a mere 30 yards... Over the next two hours we played tag with this pronghorn group.. Giving me the chance to see what I hundred kilometers an hour looks like... Running away..lol
there's a reason they call from speedgoats.
We also confirmed just what good eyesight the pronghorn really has.. Exceptional. And just how fast they could put distance between you and them... There was no chance of my hiking to intercept these goats.
Earlier on that morning I had said to Phil that I would rather be lucky than good anyday. And now that lucky was about to rain down on us big time.. Phil said rather nonchalantly if we can get Steven to the speed goats... Let's see if the pronghorn's come to Steven...? And so it came to pass that I got dumped on a flat prairie with Phil and blaze driving back down the road.. And I lay on the ground some 700 m away from the speed goats..
In looking around I noticed two does... Head towards the main heard from behind me.. I looked at here came a buck.. Out of the cheap seats some 400 to 500 yards away head towards the main group and in a straight line to me.. Like he was on a string...
I lay perfectly still. Through the scope as the buck slowly made his way towards my location.. Directly towards my location.. So he was at 300 yards.... Then 250 and 200 and then 100.. And so slowly ever so slowly he kept coming in my direction. Finally he was at a mere 70 yards and he stopped.
And then he turned sideways.
Now I was expecting a long-range shot and I had Hornaday 140 grain boat tail Spitzer bullets hand loaded capable of shots on pronghorn out to 500 yards... And here was my pronghorn of a lifetime and a mere 70 yards standing sideways in bright sunlight standing still. Unbelievable.
I slowly squeeze the trigger and the pronghorn dropped. Even from quite a distance I heard explosive cheers from Phil and blaze..
Blaze thoughtfully brought me my cane and I made my way to 70 yards to my trophy. We took pictures and headed back to camp after night of celebrating the next morning found me headed to red deer and the sugar Creek taxidermy under the capable management and artistic directorship of Mr. Marco Pilon... I will get to see the results in about a year.
I would especially like to thank Phil for his generosity, his hospitality his knowledge and his patiece and his willingness to take on the challenge of getting a severely crippled old man this wonderful pronghorn. I would also like to thank Blaze for his relentless help during this outing.
Susan for her love, cooking encouragement and willingness to allow my quest for pronghorn in spite of diminished retirement finances and extremely poor health.

Cheers
Steven

Springer
10-25-2014, 04:36 PM
That brings back Memories Pal. It was such a fun hunt and the enjoyment of you finally seeing real live Antelope and not photos or Wild TV Hunts. Sometimes i wish we would have spent all 5 days but with an Antelope shortage and lots of Tag holders we had to get it done....sorry to the local guy from Brooks that had been watching the Buck Blaze got but he should have got out of bed earlier..
Marco will do an Amazing Job and Susan will take to that Gorgeous mount in a years time or so..

It was a great shot Elmer and this winter i will hopefully have it burned onto a DVD as part of "Miner League Outdoors".

kennyj
10-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Great story Steven. Congratulations on your awesome speed goat! I hope you are back on your feet soon. Hip or knee first?
kenny

srupp
10-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Great story Steven. Congratulations on your awesome speed goat! I hope you are back on your feet soon. Hip or knee first?
kenny

Thanks Kenny right hip replacement is the next surgery..then right knee..

Phil I couldn't be happier...and Marco will do it proud...I simply could not ask for a better friend and your efforts were over the top and will always be remembered as well as Blazes .
Thank you ever so much...

cheers

thankful Steven

604redneck
10-25-2014, 07:42 PM
congrats on the speed goat steven!

Springer
10-26-2014, 07:44 AM
Thanks Kenny right hip replacement is the next surgery..then right knee..

Phil I couldn't be happier...and Marco will do it proud...I simply could not ask for a better friend and your efforts were over the top and will always be remembered as well as Blazes .
Thank you ever so much...

cheers

thankful Steven

( Shhhh , i only do the trips with ya'all to be spoiled by Susans Cooking) We enjoyed the rest of the meals in Elk Camp. but did end up supplementing with some Elk Tenderloins.....

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/2014%20Hunting%20adventures/PopsSpikerBull_zpsd72843c3.jpg (http://s410.photobucket.com/user/Springer428/media/2014%20Hunting%20adventures/PopsSpikerBull_zpsd72843c3.jpg.html)

srupp
10-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Wow..is that what a mature trophy pronghorn looks like? Much bigger when they are Booners.
Nice elk bro.
Cheers
Steven

srupp
05-11-2015, 10:19 PM
Hmmm spoke with Mr. Marco Pilon..owner @ sugar creek taxidermy...my pronghorn mount will be ready for pickup in August when we are in Red Deer visiting.
Sure glad it was so small didnt take as much time with taxidermy..lol
Cheers
Steven