PDA

View Full Version : snipe hunting

Steelpulse
08-07-2014, 08:53 PM
We've been seeing lots of snipe, going to give them a go this fall, is just like woodcock hunting from what we can see, can't wait to fill another limit of upland bird. Does anyone else hunt them specifically?

Foxton Gundogs
08-08-2014, 10:14 AM
We've been seeing lots of snipe, going to give them a go this fall, is just like woodcock hunting from what we can see, can't wait to fill another limit of upland bird. Does anyone else hunt them specifically?

Snipe are Migratory Game Birds make sure you have your "Duck Stamp". I like to shoot them over the Spaniels great work for a flushing dog.

Steelpulse
08-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Yep them and woodcock being the only upland/waterfowl game I believe, I love how they flush at your feet straight up and straight away, surprised not many hunt them for the challenge and uniqueness of the hunt.

LeverActionJunkie
08-12-2014, 11:52 AM
On a somewhat related note, Aberdeen Canadian Tire has Imperial 12ga ammo, 1 1/8oz of #5,#6, #7 Steel loads at 1450fps i think they were. At least as of yesterday they did anyways. Should be just right for them curious little birds.

Steelpulse
08-12-2014, 12:55 PM
I will be getting some of that thanks for the update, cant wait for a spot of snipe hunting this fall, we have been seeing lots

Big Lew
08-12-2014, 01:31 PM
For such a diminutive looking little bird they have remarkably large and tasty breasts.

carnivore
08-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Are Snipe the same bird that Yankees call a Timberdoodle?

Big Lew
08-12-2014, 03:59 PM
No, but they're cousins. Timberdoodles are wood cocks. Woodcocks have very short necks. Compared to woodcocks, snipes have smaller heads and eyes, slender bodies and a neck. Snipes wear distinctive dark stripes on their heads and backs. Beaks are longer. Males, females and juveniles look alike.

Steelpulse
08-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Yes the woodcock or timberdoodle, thee woodcock is only an eastern north America bird, I have pursued them in ontario which was a blast, but the Wilson's snipe is just as fun a game, flushing at the foot or on point and zig zagging away at highspeed

markomoose
08-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Saw a few of them around Quesnel last season.Long legs on them?

Steelpulse
08-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Yep long legs for walking in marshes

badgreenbird
08-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Snipe hunting is awesome.. sadly, most of them migrate south from here before forming any decent sized flocks. Just a tip for beginners: make sure you're actually shooting at snipe! There are lots of other sandpipers & shorebirds around that look vaguely similar. Chances are, if you see the bird walking around before it flushes, it's NOT a snipe! If not sure, go out once with someone who does know them.. hunter or birdwatcher. The call they make is quite distinctive as well.