PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag choice

pete_k
08-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Looking to spend some money on a good EXCELLENT extreme cold weather sleeping bag.
The best one CT had for around $100 is a summer bag only despite the ratings of -20c. I think it was a Woods brand.
Not a total waste as we use it in the camper. It was also too small.

What are some excellent extreme cold weather sleeping bags? Don't like mummy style. Prefer the large bags so I can move around inside.
It will not be used for backpacking.
What do you guys have in mind?

Everett
08-07-2014, 07:40 PM
If its under $300 its garbage most good -20 bags are in the $400 to $500 range and they are all mummy bags.

mikeboehm
08-07-2014, 07:43 PM
outbound guide outfitters down bag. -45

mikeboehm
08-07-2014, 07:45 PM
or

http://www.backsidegroup.com/thebackside.com/800x.html

warnniklz
08-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Are you heading into the back country with it or will you have a base camp?

I have a bag with synthetic fill rated to -30 and it was rather chilly in the -20s even wearing thermals...

That being said... my -10 in a plywood framed "cabin" with:
a potbelly stove
2 other people for body heat
Sheet of plywood and foam on the ground
air matress
wool blanket between me and matress
my sleeping bag and wool blanket on top of my sleeping bag to keep moitsure off my sleeping bag... I was toasty warm...

If you're hitting the back country in cold ass temps... I'm no help

moosinaround
08-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Big Agnes elk park with the q foil air mattress!! Trust me this is the system!! I love it, I have lots of room in it, but I am just a little guy though😉moosin

.30-06 camsavbc
08-07-2014, 08:17 PM
I use a Western Mountaineering down 750 fill bag and if it is really cold I have a "penguin" bag cover that goes around the complete bag and adds about 5 degrees C to the bag rating. They have bags that are more rectangle without a hood/draft stopper but I love this feature. I use it with a fleece hat that covers my ears and I am good to any temp below zero. Their bags rating is fairly accurate and with the penguin you would be set. My advice more than the bag is do not sleep directly on an air mattress as this will transfer the cold to your body. I use a thermarest but put a closed cell foam, not blue but thick yellow under my bag and on the thermarest and the penguin bag around my sleeping bag is what kept me warm. I used to climb, hike and sleep on glaciers in the rockies when I was younger.

REMINGTON JIM
08-07-2014, 08:27 PM
https://www.taigaworks.ca/ made in Vancouver BC

Excellent stuff ! :) RJ

sarg
08-07-2014, 08:29 PM
i have the 'bighorn' from wholesale sports and i'm really happy with it, its a bit big but it sure keep your warm in them cold November nights :)

swampthing
08-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Were you cold on your last trip?

moosinaround
08-07-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm telling ya Pete, look at the big Agnes system. Grouse river sells them. I did -15 last fall and there was no need for a heater!! I wasn't cold once, even slightly!! Moosin

pete_k
08-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Were you cold on your last trip?
Despite the antifreeze I took before bed, it was a bit chilly in my CT bag.

wlbc
08-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Looking to spend some money on a good EXCELLENT extreme cold weather sleeping bag.
The best one CT had for around $100 is a summer bag only despite the ratings of -20c. I think it was a Woods brand.
Not a total waste as we use it in the camper. It was also too small.

What are some excellent extreme cold weather sleeping bags? Don't like mummy style. Prefer the large bags so I can move around inside.
It will not be used for backpacking.
What do you guys have in mind?

Evening Pete,

I been around the horn on sleeping bags over the years; from backpacking, to kayak camping, to car camping, hunting base camp camping, and spike camp camping.

FWIW, there is no free lunch. You will pay good money for an excellent bag, lesser gear will cost less.

Due to my being cheap I bought enough good stuff that I don't have that much experience with newer stuff cause the original bags are still going.

Bag 1 - Everest Fairy Down circa 1970 - 1974, somewhere around 3 lbs of the finest down you will never see nowadays. I slept in a lean-too in northern Alberta, in January where the temperature was -35F during the day. I wore longjohns, woolsocks, a sweater and touque - I wouldn't sat toasty but I did sleep well. This is a tapered bag with a hooded top. Yeah, its over 40 years old and is still in excellent working order. This bag can back pack or whatever although I do appreciate the extra room nowadays.

Bag 2 - Wiggy tapered bag with hood. This was custom ordered from wiggy by my wife as a birthday gift because I am tall and broad (6'3" & 270lbs). This one is only good to about -10F by itself but retains it's thermal efficiency when wet. In fall camp I'll often bring this with one of my old down truck camping bags if it turns cold. This can pack or truck camp comfortably. These are available from Wiggy.

Bag 3 - Woods 5 Star down bag. This is a heavy canvas shell bag that must weigh 20lbs. They cost around $900 bucks today from Cabelas with a lesser quality down. This is an older one with the snaps and wool liner instead of nylon and snaps instead of a zipper. This bag is good to whatever (although Ive never tried past about -30F)

I live in PG so if you want to look over what quality looks like PM me and we can tee something up. The important thing is to buy good stuff up front - don't try to save money as you will regret it.

pete_k
08-08-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm telling ya Pete, look at the big Agnes system. Grouse river sells them. I did -15 last fall and there was no need for a heater!! I wasn't cold once, even slightly!! Moosin

Thanks Moosin, had a look. They go down to -20.
Cabelas and WSS has the Outbound Toaster 10000 or Outfitter XL. Good for -45.
Damn thing weighs 21lbs. And measure 84" x 40".
It's actually 3 bags (2 down filled and one fleece liner)
$300 buckaroos.

With my portable camp Posturepedic, electric blankets and 12v battery I should be able to keep my sleep gear to under 170lbs.

RDM
08-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Feathered friends in seattle.Look them up.Best bags IMHO

wapitiwhacker
08-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Have a look at Hotcore, been very happy with mine and a couple buddies same thing.

BigSlapper
08-08-2014, 03:45 PM
You get what you pay for as others have said. I'm a bit of a gear junkie so ....

Currently I have 3 I'm happy with.
Bag #1 Hotcore (-10) ... 3.2 lbs and a decent "all rounder" - $200
Bag #2 Woods 5 Star Down ... my wall tent bag good to -40 ... weight is close to 20 lbs, massive bag that makes me smile when a crawl in!... $800+
Bag #3 Enlightened Equipment Enigma 850 ... this is a "quilt" for sheep hunting, good to -20, treated down, weighs 24 oz., custom made to fit my long body ...$800 .... but it is the Mercedes of bags ... er "quilts" !!!

The Hermit
08-08-2014, 04:12 PM
If youi are going to pack in I'd be looking at the Kuiu sleeping bag... it is however only rated to an honest 0 degrees F = -18 degrees C Then wear your First Lite Merino Expedition undies and socks and I bet you will be warm, AND dry. http://store.kuiu.com/sleeping-bags-s/1855.htm Watch the video

pete_k
08-09-2014, 12:17 PM
If youi are going to pack in I'd be looking at the Kuiu sleeping bag... it is however only rated to an honest 0 degrees F = -18 degrees C Then wear your First Lite Merino Expedition undies and socks and I bet you will be warm, AND dry. http://store.kuiu.com/sleeping-bags-s/1855.htm Watch the video

Not backpacking. This is a base camp using ATV, Boat or Truck.
Also wanted the large rectangular bag so I can move inside.
Besides I'm more in the $300 area.

Those Star 5 bags are nice, but EXPENSIVE! over $800.
Checked one out at WSS yesterday. They are simply a high quality store bought Duvet, sandwiched between a canvas outer and fleece inner.

f350ps
08-09-2014, 12:45 PM
I've got two Woods bags, an Arctic 5 star that I bought 35+ yrs ago and a 3 star that's 20 years old. In all honesty I can't tell the difference in warmth, they are both plenty warm enough. I paid a ton of money for the 5 star brand new but looking back now it was a wise investment! The 3 star I bought used very cheap on Craigslist, keep your eyes open as they come up quite often. K

REMINGTON JIM
08-09-2014, 02:11 PM
I've got two Woods bags, an Arctic 5 star that I bought 35+ yrs ago and a 3 star that's 20 years old. In all honesty I can't tell the difference in warmth, they are both plenty warm enough. I paid a ton of money for the 5 star brand new but looking back now it was a wise investment! The 3 star I bought used very cheap on Craigslist, keep your eyes open as they come up quite often. K

I gots a Woods 5 Star too and its too warm unless its below -ZERO for me - also you won't pack it far at 20 lbs and its hughly bulkly . LOL :) RJ

pete_k
08-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Well thanks for the input gents.
I bought a "Outbound Toaster 10000". Outbound is a Canadian company in Vancouver.
http://www.outbound.ca/en/products/sleeping/sleeping-bags/toaster-series/toaster-10000-45-c-49-f-detail
Very nice heavy bag rated to -45c with many excellent reviews on various hunting supply websites.
They are on sale at Northern Hardware in PG for $279. (even less than the Outbound website).
Should do the trick as long as its kept dry.

luckofthedraw
08-21-2014, 02:58 AM
Perfect for drive in/wall tent hunting. Warm and roomy. Cabelas Magnum 44, and I didn't break the bank.

Amphibious
08-21-2014, 07:39 AM
I use this: http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-somnus-15-sleeping-bag-15-degree-down

HUGE fan. uber light and warm. I am a very cold sleeper, especially when my body is totaled from a long day of hiking. if it's to hot out I just use it as a blanket.

As I just read the Original post, have a look at military surplus for a down "Casualty Bag". I have one from the US Army. Its massive, made to fit a patient on a spine board, can fit two, filled with down, probably weighs 40lbs. Used it at late season moose camp, never cold enough to even get out of bed to feed the wood stove.