PDA

View Full Version : What welded aluminum 16'-18' would you buy?

Shuswap guy
08-07-2014, 03:28 PM
So what would you want if you were looking for a welded aluminum for fishing Barkley Sound and Georgia Strait? A boat with a cuddy is great to keep your gear dry, but I've fished a ton out of the 16' lifetimer with centre console and didn't mind it too much. Whack a 2' pod on the back and it's a great boat.. Eaglecraft, lifetimer, any more suggestions? Cuddy or not, let's hear it.

What would you'd buy in the 16-18' range?

lip_ripper00
08-07-2014, 03:39 PM
I just put together a 2425 kingfisher, but I was looking at 19' as well. The 2425 rides awesome kingfisher are well built boats

Salty
08-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Silverstreak in Sooke is another good bet

On layout it depends, are you talking just summer fishing for salmon? If so a centre console would be fine probably with a t top or such or removable bimini. If you're going to fish the shoulder seasons and winter a hardtop sure is nice.

Kudu
08-07-2014, 04:30 PM
I'm partial to the alumacraft boats (because I have one) not badly priced and run well.

Shuswap guy
08-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Silverstreak in Sooke is another good bet

I'd never come across these guys. Nice boat, 2x what a lifetimer is, but to be expected with that hard top.

On layout it depends, are you talking just summer fishing for salmon? If so a centre console would be fine probably with a t top or such or removable bimini. If you're going to fish the shoulder seasons and winter a hardtop sure is nice.

Mostly for east VI April - Nov. salmon, prawning, and lings mostly, we fish out of Bamfield in July/Aug. Centre console works pretty, gets wet, but we usually pick our days. In a perfect world I'd look for one with a cuddy and a canvas top, but just looking for input to start whittling it down.

Salty
08-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Pretty sure a few of them make a windshield version, no top but with a cuddy. That might be a way to go and put a canvas top on it. I didn't like canvas yrs ago but these days tops are sturdy big time and of course you now have options. Add a zip on back for it for those November days. Leave enough uncovered behind it to fish. Couple others for your shopping pleasure are Broadwater up in Rupert and Wolf down island. And of course a whole slough of production boats.

srupp
08-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Hmmm been in Silverstreak...great boats..Eaglecraft are premier for sure..twin brother has a Silerstreak..very well made

Steven

f350ps
08-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Check out Wolf Manufacturing, they custom build and they're solid! K

kootenayslam
08-07-2014, 08:30 PM
i'm also interested in the wolf boats, anybody have one or ridden in one? 18 foot range...

Sitkaspruce
08-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Silverstreak - awesome boats, but pricey
Eaglecraft - the same, but huge bucks
Lifetimer - Nice boat, Ok ride again pricey
Hewescraft - Nice boat, ultarian design, not nearly as expensive as the above boats, but for a reason. I had a 180 Searunner and it was a great boat for fishing Port McNeill, Port Hardy and Quatsino/Winter Harbour, but you had to pick your weather.
Duckworth - expensive but you get a nice boat.
Alumaweld - Like the Hewes, good boat for the money.
Thunderjet - A little more than Alumaweld and Hewes, nice ride and a great boat for the westcoast.

Lots of choices out there, for me I would never go back to a CC boat after having the walkthough window and canvas cover. I remember a few years ago, I met up with a couple guys from the states who had a a nice 24' CC mako, the weather was wet with little wind, but cool. They asked me what I thought about the Hewes and I said we had 2 foot itis and should have gone to 20', I asked him what he thought of the Mako, he said he had canvas itis.....His crew was all bundled up in their cabelas duck hunting gear to stay warm and dry.

Cheers

SS

Sitkaspruce
08-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Check out Wolf Manufacturing, they custom build and they're solid! K

They do, but the owner got caught watching little kids in the pool and I thought they were not making any more until it was sold. Was it sold??

Cheers

SS

Salty
08-07-2014, 08:50 PM
i'm also interested in the wolf boats, anybody have one or ridden in one? 18 foot range...

Never ridden in one but about 20 years ago I used to stop by from time to time at his first little shop in Black creek and looked them over quite a bit. My impressions were they were built like a brick shithouse and not in a bad way. They've expanded a lot by now haven't seen one for a while. They've moved a little closer to Courtenay I think.

Shuswap guy
08-07-2014, 09:14 PM
I'm going to drop in and see these guys as well:
http://www.whiskeycreekmarine.com/sport_boat_gallery.htm

BigfishCanada
08-07-2014, 09:32 PM
I had a crestliner and i loved it, actually i miss it :(

Rattler
08-07-2014, 09:50 PM
I have a 20' harbercraft kingfisher with a 1.5' pod and a walk through windshield which is very nice for access. Great boat for fishing with lots of room. I use this boat for boat camping with my family and fishing. I like the deep gunnel and nearly 8' beam. Cruises well even with 4 guys and gear. No problems towing this boat either.

lorneparker1
08-07-2014, 09:52 PM
why do you want a boat that pounds the shit out of you and doesn't protect you from the elements? aka a CC alum?

The Hermit
08-07-2014, 10:33 PM
If you have the wallet check out these folks http://www.liquidmetalmarine.com/ They make the rigid hull boats for Fisheries and the RCMP. Lots of designs and they will custom craft about anything you can imagine. Great folks... talk to Kristy and tell her I gave you her name. Custom crafted right here in Sidney BC.

snakeplain
08-07-2014, 11:31 PM
call the y marina in coos bay oregon, get a 175 sport welded aluminum duckworth with c drive and biggest yamaha it will take, gal trl, wide beam, smooth, you will love it and the cost is great, bring it home, good to go, i have a red one with no c drive, great outfit for all around, easy at the border, separate bill of sale for boat and trailer, have fun

andrewscag
08-08-2014, 12:47 AM
I've been lusting after a 17' arima. Maybe next boat...

http://arimaboats.com/sea-ranger-17/

fuzzybiscuit
08-08-2014, 06:00 AM
They do, but the owner got caught watching little kids in the pool and I thought they were not making any more until it was sold. Was it sold??

Cheers

SS

If he stuck to just "watching" he would still be making what I would consider one of the best built and designed aluminum boats out there and it would definitely get my vote.

Daigle built "Eaglecraft" boats are great too, but they haven't made anything smaller than a 24 foot for the general public in a lot of years.

Bro 300
08-08-2014, 10:29 AM
Own a 18' Silverstreak with 2' pod, enclosed cabin. Great boat for west coast weather. If money is no issue, google Northcraft boats, also made in Sooke. Well constructed.

Blueback2014
03-16-2018, 02:18 PM

Cheers

SSThe owner was totally absolved of all charges which emanated from a silly woman, It almost ruined his life and business , but he is back up and going strong. He originally built boats for eaglecraft.

bc8x8
03-16-2018, 03:11 PM
To bad this is not a current thread...lol. Just bought a 22 ft thunderjet and am selling my 17.5 ft Wolf with a 140 Suzuki and kicker.

fuzzybiscuit
03-16-2018, 04:08 PM
The owner was totally absolved of all charges which emanated from a silly woman, It almost ruined his life and business , but he is back up and going strong. He originally built boats for eaglecraft.

Wolfe builds some nice fishing boats. Pricey but what isn’t that is worth having?

Glad he was absolved of the charges. I always liked Wolfe and have had quite a few things from boats to gas tanks made by him.

dryflyguy57
03-21-2018, 08:09 AM
Have a look at Broadwater in Prince Rupert.

Drillbit
03-21-2018, 08:27 AM
Duckworth or Thunderjet
with a C drive and the biggest Japanese engine it will take.

Foxton Gundogs
03-21-2018, 11:36 AM
Lifetimmer (local in Duncan) and never look back