PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Tree stands?

Kanook Senior
08-07-2014, 01:17 PM
How many of you tree stand hunters use the fall arrest harness when in your stand ?
I know it is a safety factor but do you really need it ?

Hunting Season just around the corner.:):):)

bwarwaruk
08-07-2014, 02:05 PM
I use a harness, but i have climbing sticks and a smallish stand.

J_T
08-07-2014, 02:09 PM
I use the Spider speed harness. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tree-Spider-Speed-Harness/1214723.uts

keoke
08-07-2014, 02:15 PM
They make a pretty sweet tracked wheel chair to hunt out of, if you dont die from not wearing a harness.

Ddog
08-07-2014, 02:23 PM
not sure what the question is, is it "do you really need one---as in ..a harness
or is it "the fall arrest harness"
the answer to the first part if that is the question..DO YOU REALLY NEED ONE>>ABSOLUTELY , NO QUESTIONS ABOUT IT!!
Keoke hit the nail right on the head--->QUOTE..They make a pretty sweet tracked wheel chair to hunt out of, if you dont die from not wearing a harness.

you must wear a harness!!!

kilometers
08-07-2014, 02:43 PM
I've never used one. I don't have a store bought stand either. Just trees in the wilderness I call tree stands. Some have homemade platforms.
My dad's never used one goin 30 years hunting stands no wheel chair. He was a logger/ faller for most of his life
I looked into some. Seem like another thing to pack around and clogg up the backpack. Im sure it's a good idea. Not needed thow. I have had the long Sleepy blinks well in a tree.
Been climbing trees since I could walk. Maybe you city folk might need them. Lol.

J_T
08-07-2014, 03:31 PM
I've never used one. I don't have a store bought stand either. Just trees in the wilderness I call tree stands. Some have homemade platforms.
My dad's never used one goin 30 years hunting stands no wheel chair. He was a logger/ faller for most of his life
I looked into some. Seem like another thing to pack around and clogg up the backpack. Im sure it's a good idea. Not needed thow. I have had the long Sleepy blinks well in a tree.
Been climbing trees since I could walk. Maybe you city folk might need them. Lol. I too have gone for periods where I didn't use a harness. Not anymore. They are so small and light, they take up no space. Logically, not using a harness places many assumptions on the unexpected. Things out of your control. Yup, you can climb a tree. Where us city folk only wish we could climb them. I always wondered why an arborist wore a harness? Ever think that maybe some aspect of the stand you are using might give way? A strap that has been out in the sun too long, a nail that doesn't have real good purchase, or it's rusted, just a bit. Your safety is based on the assumption, nothing out of the ordinary will happen. Ever have a predator climb the tree you are in? Just remember, excuses now, become the stories you will tell when you are in your wheel chair. Have at er and good luck.

Ddog
08-07-2014, 03:43 PM
just remember the saying: "STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES"
to not wear a harness when in a stand is like not wearing a tux to wedding when you're the groom.
Its your funeral to not wear one, its your wheel chair. the dumbest thing i have ever heard was ,,,and i quote…" Seem like another thing to pack around and clogg up the backpack. Im sure it's a good idea. Not needed thow.
yup,, not smart,, look at the beginning of my post.
i now know two people that have fallen from stands, and one is very lucky to be alive.

.300WSMImpact!
08-07-2014, 04:07 PM
I have never used a harness, but now that I am getting older I am thinking I should start, it hurts when you fall now. Basically if your scared in a tree or of heights put on a harness, if you are comfortable with your ability to install tree stands and good with heights and climbing maybe you dont need one, I am gonna from here on out

kilometers
08-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Haha you guys are hilarious. The op was asking people's opinions. I posted mine. Don't need the bashing from having a different opinion then yours.
I personally may climb 5 or 6 different trees. I call tree stands on one hunting outting as I do my route. I always have support by multiple branches. Maybe if your in a store bought stand with no branches for support it might be different.
Maybe I should wear my helmet in the truck well I drive to my spot just In case.

Carbonmatrix
08-07-2014, 06:13 PM
I usual climb 25-30 ft so not wearing a harness is pretty stupid since I got a wife and kids to go home to after every hunt, don't listen to the badass who trusts branches with his life.

J_T
08-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Haha you guys are hilarious. The op was asking people's opinions. I posted mine. Don't need the bashing from having a different opinion then yours.
I personally may climb 5 or 6 different trees. I call tree stands on one hunting outting as I do my route. I always have support by multiple branches. Maybe if your in a store bought stand with no branches for support it might be different.
Maybe I should wear my helmet in the truck well I drive to my spot just In case. That's ok, you carry on. I'm sure it's a lifestyle approach for you. Free spirit and all. Do you practice safe sex? Or do you just know when the moment is right to pull out? Do you think you won't have a car accident, but forget to consider if the guy driving the oncoming vehicle is feeling suicidal? Carry on, have fun, cut lots of tags.

Timbow
08-07-2014, 06:29 PM
I personally knew of a gentleman who was a local bowhunter and fell from a tree stand that was around 20 feet off the ground and severed his spine. Never walked again. He pasted away a few years ago. True story.

kilometers
08-07-2014, 06:36 PM
That's ok, you carry on. I'm sure it's a lifestyle approach for you. Free spirit and all. Do you practice safe sex? Or do you just know when the moment is right to pull out? Do you think you won't have a car accident, but forget to consider if the guy driving the oncoming vehicle is feeling suicidal? Carry on, have fun, cut lots of tags.

Great more bashing. I hope it makes you fell better about yourself.

Walksalot
08-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Please wear some sort of harness when hunting from a tree stand. Better yet, make it a full body harness. Don't spend a life time of regret in a would of, should of but didn't world.

shelg
08-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Look at it like wearing a life jacket. You never know when you are going to fall out but when you do, it could save your life. My life jacket saved mine.

Stéphane
08-07-2014, 07:26 PM
I started using a stand 3 years ago. I climb in first time with the harness. And I thought it was a PITA. So next 2 or 3 times I didn't wear it. The next season, I was resolute to make it work, because I thought of what is the worse than can happen without it, and I didn't like the answer. So I learned how to put it on quickly and efficiently. And when that year the wind picked up when I was 30' up, I was really glad to have it on. Now, it's non issue for me. Gear up, harness on.

Get use to it immediately, and you won't even think about it within the season.

J_T
08-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Great more bashing. I hope it makes you fell better about yourself. Well, take it for what it is. I just wouldn't want someone else taking that opinion as advice that not wearing a harness is ok. I teach the IBEP and there is a plethora of evidence to suggest there are two kinds of treestand users, those who have fallen, and those who will. I wouldn't say I'm bashing, just telling it like it is and trying to emphasize to you, for the need to think more clearly. Perhaps you just took my firm opinion as bashing. Whatever man.

kilometers
08-07-2014, 08:18 PM
I didn't think people would feel so strongly for it.
I said I looked into it. I had wanted to buy my brother ,dad and myself one for Christmas but the local hunting stores didn't even stock them. I ended up at a industrial supply store looking at bulky linesmen belts. Kinda turned me off. I never really felt like I needed one until I got into bow hunting and realized I wouldn't be able to confidently shoot my bow from most of my trees. Changed my tactics for bow hunting and haven't really thought about it since then.
You guys are defiantly making me consider them again.

Sitkaspruce
08-07-2014, 08:49 PM
I will be using a ladder stand for the first time this year and I will be wearing a harness. Just like a seat belt, a life jacket or any other safety device, thet were designed for a reason. But that is the choice of the user, nobody else.

Cheers

SS

kootenaycarver
08-07-2014, 09:18 PM
For your sake and your loved ones, don't even think about hunting from a tree stand without a safety harness.

J_T
08-07-2014, 09:37 PM
I said I looked into it. I had wanted to buy my brother ,dad and myself one for Christmas but the local hunting stores didn't even stock them. I ended up at a industrial supply store looking at bulky linesmen belts. Kinda turned me off. I never really felt like I needed one until I got into bow hunting and realized I wouldn't be able to confidently shoot my bow from most of my trees. Changed my tactics for bow hunting and haven't really thought about it since then.
You guys are defiantly making me consider them again.
If you are re-thinking your position, consider purchasing the Spider speed harness. Light, small buckles and not expensive. For late season, I wear it against my long johns. It goes on when I get out of the sleeping bag. In early season, I wear it against my T-shirt, under all other layers.

Kanook Senior
08-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Thank you for all the input.
I received a goliath self climber for my birthday and it came with harness.
Played with it today, and yes I will be using the harness with my tree stand.
Will take a little getting used to but after a few times all will be good.

Again thanks for the input.
And good luck to all of you this coming season.

Cheers:-D:-D:-D

300H&H
08-07-2014, 10:13 PM
I use mine EVERY time. I want to go home safe, and not to Emergency.

Walksalot
08-08-2014, 06:14 AM
OBTW, a seat harness only can have you hanging upside down if you get a bump on the head during your fall. A full body harness will keep you up right even if you are unconscious.

Ddog
08-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Its not even an option when hunting from a stand, thats why most stands come with a harness.
my harness is put on under my hunting clothes, i have made a small tear in the neck area of my clothes that the harness comes through, the tear is sewn properly and looks like it is supposed to be there, i have several stands set and all of them have the harness attachment on the tree so when i climb in, first thing first, my harness is attached before i pull my bow up or even step into the stand.
i have a family, and i want to live each day with them to the fullest possible, and i want to return home to them too.

J_T
08-08-2014, 06:41 PM
You guys are defiantly making me consider them again. FYI just one more comment on my position. Perhaps offer you some perspective. My ex-wife lives in a wheel chair due to a poor decision about safety, she made not that long ago. She regrets the decision almost every day she wakes. Not only does she live with it, my children live with that decision too.

Ubertuber
08-09-2014, 04:20 PM
I ain't city folk and I too have been climbing trees all my life.:-D I use home made stands or just plain old branches as well. I was hesitant to use a harness at first, but decided it was probably a good idea. After using it I quickly realized that it was not that big a deal, it allowed me to move around a lot more (take chances), it allowed me to cat nap without worrying about falling, and allowed me to go into more "sketchy" trees.
Consider trying a hunting specific harness rather than a construction harness. Hunting ones are lighter, quieter, and cheaper.
Save the bravado for hitting on women.

hunter1947
08-13-2014, 06:12 AM
I use the fall arrest at all times if you don't use it you are a fool why take the risk..