PDA

View Full Version : Up, up and away from the crowds? Asking all you Northern locals!

tabruder
08-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Joined the forum to directly ask for some local suggestions. 1st post.

I've had a hunt planned with a few buddies all year long, but we still haven't decided on a specific geographic to go to. Last week of August +/- the weekends. We want to go N of FSJ to take advantage of multiple GOS's. We have ATV's and a small jet boat, but are keen on putting a spike camp up high a solid day hike beyond machine access. We're too poor to hire a bush plane or an outfitter with horses, so this is where we're limited.

I've done trips hiking the Sikanni Chief around Trimble Lake and hiked into Wokkpash Lake, but looking to use ATV/boat to improve where we can get up high quicker and away from the main corridor crowds. I've got considerable backcountry experience with some mountaineering, so the travel isn't a problem, and I'm fully aware what I'm asking for. We just want to have a few years of annual suffer-fests while we have strong backs and big lungs.

Willing to go about as far as Muncho, although S of Ft Nelson would be preferable to keep fuel costs down and maximize our time in the hills.

I'm looking at things like Redfern, Halfway, NorthWest Mounted Police trail, Chowade River trail. Running a long ways up a river isn't really in the cards. We're not looking to make a huge jet boat expedition. We won't do fuel cache runs or want to go more than 1/2 day or so by boat. Mostly due to cost. Also, only one guy in our party has river experience and he has never been up any rivers this far north. Obviously, we don't want to go getting into trouble too far from help. If any shorter river runs could get us into nice open country, I'm really interested!

Species isn't really that important. It's 50% about just being up in the mountains for a week. Moose, Elk, 'bou, sheep, or goat. I'm by no means a legit sheep hunter, but would like to be one day. The more days I can spend in sheep country and have the chance to start looking at rams and judging them, the sooner I can start gaining that experience. We're more hoping to be successful with moose/elk/caribou. If we spot a bunch of rams or goats, though, we like to climb!

There, that's enough story. Where would you send 4 backcountry enthusiasts that is accessible by 1 day ATV/boat and 1 day hike to be in some spectacular country with a chance to see some game. Very much appreciate all your helpful suggestions!

Tom

Wentrot
08-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Take your jacket off, sit down and stay a while...don't kick in the front door and try banging my wife.

mikeboehm
08-06-2014, 04:52 PM
excactly grab abeer and stay awhile

Keta1969
08-06-2014, 05:08 PM
if you want him to stay awhile be nice and help him out. If you don't want to help move on. Can never understand why 1st posters get flack.

keoke
08-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Its hard to get excepted into hunting circles, I'm not allowed to join my buddy in his camp because I'm not married to one of his sister in laws. Which is a good thing because all his daughters are in the no go zone of hotness and crazy lol. I hope someone who has info steps up and helps you out.

tabruder
08-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Its hard to get excepted into hunting circles, I'm not allowed to join my buddy in his camp because I'm not married to one of his sister in laws. Which is a good thing because all his daughters are in the no go zone of hotness and crazy lol. I hope someone who has info steps up and helps you out.

Thanks. That's all I was hoping for. I'm not new to forums. I know how it goes. It's the main reason I've never joined on here before. If nobody feels like sharing, that's cool. I get it. We'll just try somewhere, and if we like it, we'll be back next year, if not, we'll try somewhere else. I'm not asking to use someone's camp or treestand or ranch or anything. Over the years I've lurked as a visitor and seen some experienced locals share some info here and there as far as general access stuff. That's what I'm hoping for. I just need to pick a spot and order some topos.

If I need to have a beer and a bonfire or help you haul a quarter before anyone wants to share, I totally understand. We all have our circles. If I just need to get my post count up, probably not going to happen anytime soon. I'll research and lurk and post up when I think I've got something to contribute.

If the general consensus is that we need to spend the seasons finding our own areas, I'm sure that will be the result of this thread. I hold no hard feelings. Just trying to reach out to the community before randomly selecting somewhere from the mapbook that seems like we can hunt this way.

two-feet
08-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Yup, first time posters looking for sweet hunting locations can get pounded pretty hard. Why? Because the people you are asking this of have put in the hours, weeks and years to gather this valuable info. And they realize that a huge part of the experience is getting out there and learning the ins and outs of a hunting spot the hard way.
If i were you and your buddys i would pick a likely looking area and spend ten days there this year, you will figure out the lay of the land and of it is half decent it will start to be "your" spot in the years to come. Just sayin.

tabruder
08-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Yup, first time posters looking for sweet hunting locations can get pounded pretty hard. Why? Because the people you are asking this of have put in the hours, weeks and years to gather this valuable info. And they realize that a huge part of the experience is getting out there and learning the ins and outs of a hunting spot the hard way.
If i were you and your buddys i would pick a likely looking area and spend ten days there this year, you will figure out the lay of the land and of it is half decent it will start to be "your" spot in the years to come. Just sayin.

Thanks, I hope I'm conveying how much I appreciate the collective experience on here and how hard earned it was. I was fully expecting a barrage of "go find out for yourself".

Like I said initially, we've spent a couple seasons up where there was specifically no ATV access because we had no ATV's. If we had horses or a float plane, the trip would just be different. Wokkpash was incredible, and I'd return this year if we were limited to hoofing it ourselves. I'm simply hoping for a vote of confidence saying "check out Halfway R trail and hike from there". We want to go explore ourselves from where we park the quads or boat.

Just reaching out after a couple years of going it blindly alone to see if there's someone who might offer something relevant to a few guys who are willing to work really hard to do the rest themselves.

ruger#1
08-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Hi Tabruder, And welcome to the site. Someone will be on here that can help you. Get them to PM you.

bighornbob
08-06-2014, 06:54 PM
I would go with the boat and forget the quads. Anywhere that there is a quad trail, will be hunted hard. Even if you are planning to hike a day from the machine. Also there are only a few trails allowed in the muskwa-kechika area.

the river boat will get you away from the crowds more then the quads will.

bhb

bridger
08-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Jet boats and atv's aren't a great combination in 7b if you want to get into the alpine. Halfway, sikanni, besa are really not good boating rivers. You might consider leaving either the jet boat or the quads home. Although it Might not be the best year to make your first major boat trip up here as the rivers are low already. The trip you are wanting to do takes some experience. Might be a good idea to try a get your feet wet sort of thing this year and start learning some country. If you are willing to pack a moose or elk out aways lots of opportunities in the sikanni and halway valleys for quad access.

ElectricDyck
08-06-2014, 07:28 PM
How did you do around Wokkapash Lake? You were deffinitely in sheep/goat/bou/god's country.....I'm by no means a professional hunter but everytime I've followed a "named" trail I've gotten into some majestic scenery and had opportunity. I give a thumbs up to any place in the Northern Rockies.

http://www.tourismnorthernrockies.ca/things_hunting.php

Everytime I've hike 15km plus I've gotten into places where you are happy to see people and when you do you end up sharing info and stories. 15km on a trail is only 3 1/2 hours...

Good luck and when you get back post some pictures....or post some pics of your trip to Wokkapash.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_1570-1.jpg

DDD
08-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Hey Tabruder.
Disregard the not so welcome, "welcome here". Some great guys on here with a lot of excellent info, as well as a handful of folks that seem to wear a sense of entitlement. PM sent.

D

birdee
08-06-2014, 09:08 PM
ya been there done that tabruder you think you asked them about there mother ,lol. More than likely some one from the area has pm'd you.
3/4 of the guys on most forums are just there to get there post count up and respond to everything posted. Of the last quarter only half know what there talking about. the other half read it somewhere. There are a few good people that really like to help.

tabruder
08-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Thanks, all.

Bridger, thanks for the tips. Trying to decide on one of either boat or quads (or just hike from highway again). Not bringing the whole garage. The rivers you mentioned definitely seemed like unwise destinations as we don't know the waters. The larger rivers just seemed like longer distances to run (100 km+) to get below some hikeable alpine. We aren't experienced for huge undertakings with the boat, and don't want to put half our budget into gas. At this point I'm leaning towards trying to find some space a solid day up away from Redfern (quads), Hike up the Tetsa, or take the quads and check out the back end of the Wokkpash corridor.

ElectricDyck, we hiked in to the SE end of Wokkpash a couple years ago, but later in the season. So many caribou and elk we even bivied high up in Plug ck. Had a lot of fun watching herd after herd come up the valley. Unfortunately, didn't find anything with that elusive final point. Would have been a painful 2 day packout from way back there (25 km+ from the trailhead). Just some ewes and lambs for sheep, haven't figured exactly where to find the rams yet. It was great. Nobody was in the camp. We had the whole lake and tributaries to ourselves. The only person we saw in a week was a solo French guy doing the MacDonald/Wokkpash circuit. We didn't take much for a camera to save weight. Taking the gopro this year, so should be able to get some pics then!

bridger
08-07-2014, 06:46 AM
River boating up here is expensive as access to the better areas require considerable travel. You can burn lots of petro dollars in a hurry. in the cold light of day 7b is so large that getting into the really great portions takes time, money, and commitment no matter what mode of transport you use. Something you have to prepare for and accept. Great adventures tho.

Blair
08-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Take your jacket off, sit down and stay a while...don't kick in the front door and try banging my wife.

Wow, what a predictable response! I don't think he was asking for anything from your wife.

tabruder
08-08-2014, 06:16 PM
Well, decided to leave the toys at home anyways. Hiking from the Alaska Highway into 7-50. If we're successful, it's gonna hurt and it's gonna be fun!. If we're not, it's just gonna be fun!

RB2
08-08-2014, 06:38 PM

LOL. Just seen that video about the WIFE ZONE on you tube.

ElectricDyck
08-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Well, decided to leave the toys at home anyways. Hiking from the Alaska Highway into 7-50. If we're successful, it's gonna hurt and it's gonna be fun!. If we're not, it's just gonna be fun!

Good luck! We did the same a few years ago and had a lot of fun. We shot an elk 15km back, between two guys it was a slog fest for sure, but an effort I'll never forget!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_0752-2.jpg

604redneck
08-08-2014, 10:13 PM
How big is the boat? Motor size and length/width?