PDA

View Full Version : Wet vs dry country muleys

bowmagnum
08-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Hey all,

I have been scouting a few areas in the alpine and I noticed that in the dryer areas there is WAY more deer sign. More tracks, more poo, and more evidence of browsing. The wet area I hunted last year and saw a couple sets of big tracks and more sign later in the year(october). The big difference I noticed is that the wet area has way more Heather. Is this a good thing or bad? The wet area has lots of water which makes camping for 3-5 days more do-able The dry country is easier access and I think it may get pumped hard in september, I wont be able to hunt till mid september and I think that may be too late for this area. I plan on checking it out but dont have that high of hopes for anything not being all shaken up. In the wet area all I have seen for deer is whitetail does. I know that there are a few muleys around but havent seen them yet. I guess my question is do wetter alpine areas hold less deer in general or do they just access the area later on? I am still trying to figure out what makes good alpine habitat for critters. I see marmot and grizz sign in both areas but way less deer evidence in the wet areas.

Thanks