PDA

View Full Version : Single or trebel hooks

MOOSE MILK
08-05-2014, 03:46 PM
All the stores seem to be out of fresh water regulations,:evil: and I don't seem to be able to find anything on line about tackle regulations. So what is required in BC fresh water lakes? Single barbless, treble barbless, help me out please.:confused:

Mulehahn
08-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Page 9 of the regs.

It Is Unlawful To....
Use barbed hooks or a hook with more than one point in any river, stream, creek or slough in B.C. (Note: the use of barbed hooks in lakes is permitted, unless noted in the Regional Water-Specific Tables).

Lake are different. You are allowed to use treble hooks, or barbed hooks unless it states otherwise in the regs. You will have to look up the specific lake you want to fish and see what it says. You can download the regulations to your phone and always have them with you.

Wild one
08-05-2014, 06:06 PM
Page 9 of the regs.

It Is Unlawful To....
Use barbed hooks or a hook with more than one point in any river, stream, creek or slough in B.C. (Note: the use of barbed hooks in lakes is permitted, unless noted in the Regional Water-Specific Tables).

Lake are different. You are allowed to use treble hooks, or barbed hooks unless it states otherwise in the regs. You will have to look up the specific lake you want to fish and see what it says. You can download the regulations to your phone and always have them with you.

Correct even though you will meet people who think trebles are illegal BC wide

longstonec
08-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Easier to catch fish on a single barbless anyways. Just harder to land them.

My theory is that since most of the hooks are made overseas somewhere... they dont really care what the regs in BC are when the get hook orders for 100s of thousands of hooks from companies putting together lures for sale in the USA etc.

two-feet
08-05-2014, 09:40 PM
I think the only good place to use barbed hooks is in stocked lakes if you are fishing for food, otherwise you are never sure what you might catch and barbed hooks will destroy the mouth of any fish you wish to, or lawfully must, release. A single barbless that is kept razor sharp will land plenty of fish if the operator does his part.

.30-06 camsavbc
08-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Previous posters are right, treble hooks are ok in lakes unless otherwise stated for a specific lake. I have noticed that a lot of the spinners now come with a single hook only or a single and a treble hook. I personally take off most hooks that come with lures and install my own bought custom hooks of different curves, sizes and color depending on the size and species I am fishing. It makes a huge difference in my experience and opinion. I mostly use singles with the barb in lakes because of the no damage release factor as two-feet points out.

Jack Russell
08-06-2014, 06:42 AM
Personally, I find single hooks better. You MAY hook more fish with a treble (depending on fishing style and lure etc.), but you will land more on a single. Releasing fish with a single is obviously a lot more pleasant for all parties involved as well. JMO.

08-06-2014, 10:22 AM
you need a copy of the rgulations
http://fishing.gov.bc.ca/ buy a liscense here or look on the tool bar off to the left and get the regulations.

IMO,,, and this is just me....... but Trebbles suck. They are way too hard on the fish. Even if you are a "Catch it kill it" guy... (who i have zero problems with either) the Mortality rate of small fish or incorrect species is way too high... If you are trebble legal,,, the fish will like you more if you use a barbed single rather then a barbed trebble..... You might argue the Barbless trebble thing, since a trebble is shorter then a single so you might throught hook less... but barbed trebbles trash fish's mouths.

Either way, Legal is Legal and here is a link to the regs

4 point
08-06-2014, 03:06 PM
I remember when flatfish came with two set of trebles. What a mess when in even a keeper fish.

08-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Those flatfish if you use a split ring to swivel to split ring to a Gammie of proper size ........ that is deadly....
spinners for Coho and Steel as well..

limit time
08-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Correct even though you will meet people who think trebles are illegal BC wide
Just like hand guns

Sofa King
08-17-2014, 01:19 AM
Personally, I find single hooks better. You MAY hook more fish with a treble (depending on fishing style and lure etc.), but you will land more on a single. Releasing fish with a single is obviously a lot more pleasant for all parties involved as well. JMO.

in my experience, fish spit a single, barbless eezy-peezy.
that's kinda the point of that rule, to make it as hard as they can for us to be able to land a fish.

Jack Russell
08-17-2014, 07:00 AM
in my experience, fish spit a single, barbless eezy-peezy.
that's kinda the point of that rule, to make it as hard as they can for us to be able to land a fish.

No, the idea for single barbless hook is to make releasing fish, easy peasy.

We have many catch and release situations to account for size limits and specific species retention, mostly for anadromous fish, which is probably the main reason every moving bit of water in BC is single barbless. Some lakes are this way as well.

Sofa King
08-18-2014, 01:16 AM
no, that's what they want you to believe.
we've injured more fish with single, barbless because of the large gape they have.
the fish side-strike the lure and the large-gaped, single barbless swings around and hooks the fish in the eye.
and now you have to release a fish that's going to die because of a single barbless hook.
that's the entire reason that Okanagan lake has been changed to barbless trebles.

Sofa King
08-18-2014, 01:19 AM
you actually believe that they implemented the single barbless rule so that it's "easier to release a fish"?
why would they be assuming you are releasing your fish?
in a catch and release only lake, sure, that makes sense, but in lakes where there is catch quotas, no.

ellenbill
08-18-2014, 04:37 AM
Does it really matter what I use to catch my 5 fish limit with to eat. The regs need a complete overhaul.

It drives you nuts. No bait here, single hook there, fly hooks only there, barbless only here, no more than one hook on a line. On and on it goes.

if the limit is 5 who cares? To much time on the hands of the powers that be to make up silly rules!

Kudu
08-18-2014, 05:41 AM
Does it really matter what I use to catch my 5 fish limit with to eat. The regs need a complete overhaul.

It drives you nuts. No bait here, single hook there, fly hooks only there, barbless only here, no more than one hook on a line. On and on it goes.

if the limit is 5 who cares? To much time on the hands of the powers that be to make up silly rules!

What he said ..... The regs need an overhaul!

If every little halo wearing saint - really cared about the condition of the fish after release, the only hook they would ever use is a single pointed, barbless, circle hook!

steel_ram
08-18-2014, 09:33 AM
So do you guys kill every fish you catch? Surely you let small ones go, or if your having a good day may catch more than your limit and hopefully release them. Single, barbless certainly makes successfully releasing fish to be caught another day more likely. I don't know what the beef is, the skill level for landing a well hooked fish isn't much different. Is it just laziness in not wanting the hassle of swapping the trebles out?

Sofa King
08-18-2014, 10:32 AM
So do you guys kill every fish you catch? Surely you let small ones go, or if your having a good day may catch more than your limit and hopefully release them. Single, barbless certainly makes successfully releasing fish to be caught another day more likely. I don't know what the beef is, the skill level for landing a well hooked fish isn't much different. Is it just laziness in not wanting the hassle of swapping the trebles out?

I'm strictly a c&r guy, and I swap all my lures to single barbless.
but that doesn't mean I'm going to agree with stupid regs.
the majority of anglers you see out there are keeping their fish.
I used to fish with a guy who fished to eat.
he would catch his limit and he was ready to go home.
needless to say, I "used" to fish with him.

you are 100% correct.
single, barbless does indeed make releasing a fish easier, that's why I swapped all my red devles over my last time in the Yukon.
but, I also watched several pike follow the lure right to the boat, chomp down on it right there before me, and I watched the single barbless hook lay flat with the spoon and not hook the fish.
fisheries doesn't implement a single, barbless reg out of concern for the fish's health.
if they did, then it would be a province-wide reg, and especially in the smaller lakes with the dink-sized fish.
their mouths are super-fragile and get torn right up by trebles.

Jack Russell
08-18-2014, 11:30 AM
you are sofa king contradictory…..

Sofa King
08-18-2014, 01:34 PM
how so?
explain?
just because I prefer to use single barbless doesn't mean I have to think it's a good reg.
I'm doing it for the ease of release as I only practice c&r.
the regs aren't made around c&r.
our hunting and fishing past-times have seen dwindling #'s of participants over the years.
mainly because the youth are not getting into them like we did when we were growing up.
the powers that be should be trying to increase the #'s, and that's mainly done by targeting the youth.
it's pretty hard to get a younger person interesting in say fishing if the regs are set up to make it as hard as possible to land a fish.
if that kid isn't catching a fish, odds are pretty high that they'll lose interest and move on to something else.

markomoose
08-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Holy cow Jack,don't gettem jacked up!

steel_ram
08-18-2014, 02:56 PM
how so?
explain?
just because I prefer to use single barbless doesn't mean I have to think it's a good reg.
I'm doing it for the ease of release as I only practice c&r.
the regs aren't made around c&r.
our hunting and fishing past-times have seen dwindling #'s of participants over the years.
mainly because the youth are not getting into them like we did when we were growing up.
the powers that be should be trying to increase the #'s, and that's mainly done by targeting the youth.
it's pretty hard to get a younger person interesting in say fishing if the regs are set up to make it as hard as possible to land a fish.
if that kid isn't catching a fish, odds are pretty high that they'll lose interest and move on to something else.

Some of my worst childhood memories are of treble hooks. They dig into human flesh quite nicely with no nice way to remove them. (personal experience). That alone was reason enough to stop using them. I really don't think trebles significantly make it easier to catch a fish.

Mulehahn
08-18-2014, 03:39 PM
All I use is single barbless, with most of them circle hooks, and can put an honest 90% landing rate on all my non-tidal fish, including salmon and steelhead (drops off dramatically in the ocean for some reason :( but oh well). Can't really say how many hooksets I have missed because of single vs treble, but am willing to bet it is pretty low. In my limited experience with treble hooks all they did was make a mess in the tackle box and hook me as much as fish. I know lots of people use them, look at all the bass fisherman down south, I just don't don't have the experience. If it is legal, and a person knows how to rig 'em, I am sure they are deadly. But single barbless do not lose fish, fishermen lose fish.

But fully agree the regs need a full overhaul. I am fairly well educated, been reading them since I was 10 and still get confused somedays.

Sofa King
08-19-2014, 01:14 AM
^^"single barbless do not lose fish, fisherman lose fish"
they sure do.
rainbows are masters at jumping and spitting the hook.
and that's all due to the single barbless.
you just showed how much better a treble hooks, they catch everything in your tackle box and even hook you.

Sofa King
08-19-2014, 01:19 AM
I would have loved to have seen guys trying to scale the old castle walls using a single grapple hook.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTu_3sTj4YL70rsCz8Dzb-5OWvnJKRHU1Yub-ZjcnusmmvBpxglWQ (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=w3PMlmnhQfkm_M&tbnid=9jSHJGfnqN-_KM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Ftapegear%2Fgr pl%2F&ei=bwjzU9qqAbHmiwKoyoCIBA&bvm=bv.73231344,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNE20fSRP-dp6HVrbbqCrdLB0dEfnw&ust=1408522654943810)

Salty
08-19-2014, 07:50 PM
I got on to the single barbless thing years ago when I think about the only thing you had to use them for was steelhead. Then it went to salmon in streams then all fish in streams then barbless for the chuck too for salmon. I didn't take too long to figure out how to have a high percentage off landing the things, ya they'll spit the hook in the air but they'll spit a barbed hook too. Simple big rule don't ever let it go slack if the fish runs towards you reel like crazy to keep up.

Anyways its all I use now cause I let waaay more fish go than I kill and its a hell of a lot easier to do with no barb to hang up. Except for bottom fishing, I don't bother crimping the hooks then but I don't use treble hooks if at all possible they're a pain in the ass and make a mess and don't hook up any better IMO.

Dannybuoy
08-19-2014, 07:59 PM
The train of thought in the big lakes is that the big single hooks ( barbed or not ) can be far more lethal than barbless treble hooks and that's why at least some sport fishing orgs are promoting barbless trebles and it appears someone is listening as Okanagan has been changed back to allow trebles

08-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Big singles can easily Brain a fish...... trebbles dont. you would have a hard time making a trebble big enough to swallow and brain...
im still not a fan of trebbles ... but i can see that side to them....

steel_ram
08-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Three points versus one. I've seen instances when smaller hooks were harder on fish, being taken too deeply, on the other side big hooks with long points over penetrating into the gill arch's causing fatal bleeding. Some injuries can't be helped and some mortality occurs even in a C&R fishery. It's an unfortunate reality of the activity. Removing engulfed trebles is far more traumatic and can be avoided to a large degree by using singles.

08-20-2014, 12:48 PM
The BIGGEST problem as has been pointed out here is .......... propper hook size......... great big barbless single= brain shot....... little tiny barbless trebble= gill damage or mouth damage........
you can argue barbbed barbless ,,,, single and trebble all day long....... nothing works perfect unless you choose the right size hook..... But the regs cant say....... #8 Barbless single on 1/16oz-1/8oz spinners and #4 on 1/4oz spoons... etc
That is where you come in....... proper choices for proper reasons + law = alive fish released + fish for home