PDA

View Full Version : long casting reel

.300WSMImpact!
08-04-2014, 05:53 PM
what is the longest casting reel? I was out bottom bouncing the other day and I noticed that some guys cast much farther, so I was wondering what reels will get me way out there?

Salty
08-04-2014, 06:22 PM
For casting a long ways IMO its about 30% about the reel and 70% about the line. Assuming the reel isn't a complete pile of crap that is. I take it you're talking level winds? I've had an Ambasador for over 30 years that casts great still. There's lots of good ones out there for reliability and to cast well look for stainless ball bearing units not plastic. For line look into the new braids that are out there I just bought some Tuff line xp 14 lb test I think it was casts beautifully. Good quality mono still gets it done fine too. Read the propaganda about the line if they don't talk much about casting and just talk trolling and jigging its probably not the line for you.

Jagermeister
08-04-2014, 06:34 PM
ABu Garcia 6500, 7000 or 7500. Shimano Calcutta, don't know the model though. These are level winds.

recoil
08-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Tuff line "supercast" braid will give you a lot of extra distance, 53lb same diameter as 15lb mono, you can get 150 yards spooled for about $25, bonus is if you get a snag you can usually straighten out the hook and save your betty etc.

adriaticum
08-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Its the skill of the fisherman more than the reel.

Moe.JKU
08-04-2014, 06:57 PM
More so for me would be the rod. Action, power, length those things will all help you cast very far if it is matched well. A good line will help you get out there a little better though. Give us more about what your using and you can get some more insight

russm
08-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Casting difference can depend on a lot of things like rod type(action), reel, reel settings, line, weight, the operators casting ability etc etc, I had an ambassadeur for years and never had an issue with distance this year I upgraded to a Calcutta 400d, I'll get a chance to use it finally on Wednesday.