PDA

View Full Version : Early Elk Tips

epicZERO74
08-04-2014, 05:00 PM
Hello fellow hunters! My dad and I are planning to head out to Reg. 8 on August 31st, spend the night and go for the youth deer and bow elk/deer season. This is our first time hunting elk as well as our first time archery hunting, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for early season like how to call, what time they are moving, where they are moving, etc. As well as tips for bow hunting. We have been scouting the place for 2 years via trail cameras, and last year saw a 4(ish) point bull elk. Thanks for any tips and tricks!

one-shot-wonder
08-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Temps will likely be smoking hot, they will move first hour in the morning and last hour of the evening. Set the alarm for well in advance of sunrise and plan to be out in the dark so you are in your "hotspots" before it gets light, call, listen intently and be patient.

I would pack a fishing rod and fill the midday lull on a mountain lake.

.300WSMImpact!
08-04-2014, 08:28 PM
maybe the odd cow call, but very little for calling that time of year from my experience, in the heat they will be moving slowly early and late, and very little during the day, tough hunt, but there will be some deer around good luck have fun, as for bow hunting, what you should do is try and find a 3D shoot you will learn valuable lessons on how to judge and shoot animals

Liveforthehunt
08-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Both good tips and be super patient with a bow, shot placement is key where as with a rifle you have more forgiveness on getting that vital shot.

HarryToolips
08-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Hello fellow hunters! My dad and I are planning to head out to Reg. 8 on August 31st, spend the night and go for the youth deer and bow elk/deer season. This is our first time hunting elk as well as our first time archery hunting, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for early season like how to call, what time they are moving, where they are moving, etc. As well as tips for bow hunting. We have been scouting the place for 2 years via trail cameras, and last year saw a 4(ish) point bull elk. Thanks for any tips and tricks!

Remember the Okanagan Elk bow season is the same as the rifle, 6 point or better..lol so you may want to drive the extra bit to the Koots where you can take any bull..

Liveforthehunt
08-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Remember the Okanagan Elk bow season is the same as the rifle, 6 point or better..lol so you may want to drive the extra bit to the Koots where you can take any bull..

This is true lol a substantially higher population as well ;) go to the koots!