PDA

View Full Version : Best salmon river Bc?

rides bike to work
08-03-2014, 09:34 PM
I have grown up fishing salmon in rivers chillowack Fraser chehalis stave stamp and have done well but would like to get away from the crowds for once . Can anyone recommend a good salmon river and the time of year to fish it as well any access info would be extra cool. Any where in Bc. Looking for some elbow room and some epic salmon. Help a brotha out;;

.30-06 camsavbc
08-03-2014, 10:54 PM
I would say Campbell River and the Nitnat River on Vancouver Island. Late spring and late fall to early winter. The Salmon River by Sayward would not be as busy as Campbell River and easier to get to than the Nitnat River. There are good winter runs as well. There is tough bushwacking to just off the side of the road for access. Bridges seem to be a good access point on this Island and there many other great rivers up and down this Island. Island Outfitters has a fishing report that I check out and talking to tackle shop owners, staff and bait shops would be helpful.

Wentrot
08-04-2014, 04:58 AM
Any great salmon fishing talked about online WITH directions isn't going to have much privacy lol you say you fish chehalis, there are plenty of areas in the canyon that don't see people and are mighty nice to spend some time. Just be careful wormin around in there its greasy.

Ride Red
08-04-2014, 06:20 AM
There are lots of rivers on the West Coast, but if I had to choose one, I would head to the Skeena. Either fish before Terrace or after to stay away from the major crowds. There are some really nice spots to walk to East/West of Terrace (if the water level is normal) to have some privacy. I've walked and boated the Skeena with great sucess, but I do prefer jumping in my boat though. Good luck where ever you end up.

two-feet
08-04-2014, 07:30 AM
The Nass. Huge coastal river system, lava beds, huge mountains, huge salmon runs. And plenty of elbow room excepting the bears. Big big northern coho!

Salty
08-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Nass for sure the Skeena and a most of its tribs are awesome

two-feet
08-04-2014, 07:50 PM
If you had a week you could do a great skeena/nass circle route and you would probably be selling the farm and moving north afterwards.

adriaticum
08-04-2014, 08:30 PM
The one nobody knows about

08-05-2014, 10:12 AM
The one nobody knows about

yep,,,, you need to put the time in just like hunting. Salmon rivers are all about timing... when i lived in Ukee i fished 3 rivers. one was July one was august and one was september,,, all were bullet Coho.
what you need to do is either get a boat that is big enough to stay on and cruze the Central Coast or come to the Island after a Buttload of reserch in September and swing into West coast Rivers....

We used to use a Medium action spinning Rod and 6lb mono with 1/8-1/4oz spinners..... it was a riot ,,, untill the whole world caught on when the salmon fishing offshore dropped off...
The rivers i know for the most part i would never name, i am sorry,,,, if i was talking to you face to face id tell you but,, i have watched paradise fall and i will not help it again.

srupp
08-05-2014, 12:58 PM
hmmm the Fraser where it is joined by the Quesnel river..WAIT...change that.....

Skeena for sure...

tigrr
08-06-2014, 09:18 AM
The Skeena now that mount polly mine has spilled their tailings into the system of the fraser. Some gravel bars between Terrace and Rupert you sometimes have to yourselves. Do your homework!!