PDA

View Full Version : Set on mountain goat Questions need help for 2015

b.c hunter 88
08-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Hey Everyone
its been a wile since I posted been to busy working.
sounds like this year is another no go for hunting since I'm working in northern Alberta yup dirty oil money. I tried to do a guided hunt for next year no ones seems to want to take my money. so even know everyone's tells me I'm wasting my time hunting mountain goats I seem to always come back to trying for one and next year I decided to hire a float plane or helicopter and do a fly in hunt for 10 to 15 days mid oct. I am considering heading towards home (Powell River) I have a few areas lined up but I know I posted before but are there any local mountain goat hunters there. wear would you set up for the 10 to 15 days.
any one know the conditions of the knuckle head road or the last good hope trail ?
gear list
-mountain goat and brown bear hunters I plan on a new rifle cost don't matter I plan on a Alaska brown bear hunt in a year or two and considering a .338 win mag or would I want bigger for brown bear might need a reason to buy two rifles.
what is the best rifle looking for the most accurate and reliable I was not impressed with Remington the browning x bolt was amazing but looking at sako and tikka

-what the best tents for the snow cold wet alpine area
-heaters
-clothing
-optics I plan on a Leopold scope
-I'm considering a spot type gps since ill be hunting alone

I'm looking for a list of things to bring and what brand names to buy and the ones to stay away from.
also I have reading and writing issues sorry if my spellings off.
thanks Kevin

Amphibious
08-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Helicopters are Illegal to use for Hunting in BC.

b.c hunter 88
08-03-2014, 06:37 PM
if that's true then the outfitters are illegal hunting.
I plan to fly into camp and out
I will look into this more

Amphibious
08-03-2014, 06:44 PM
It's in the regs. Read them. I'm also a commercial helicopter pilot, so I may know something about it. Or wander down to the Powell River strip and chat with OceanView. I'm sure James will tell you the same thing.

lots of GOS goat hunting options close to you, many of them hike-in.

search this forum, there are non-specific goat hunting help threads to keep you reading for days

b.c hunter 88
08-03-2014, 06:47 PM
thanks for the info ill be reporting a few outfitters

b.c hunter 88
08-03-2014, 06:48 PM
what about float planes ?

srupp
08-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Hmmm float planes are legal and do get you in to remote areas...for rifle...338 Sako 85 synthetic and stainless...225 gr Barns...tents mountain hardware..clothing Cabelas mt50...boots Meindle Canadas are a good start.
Just shipping my Swarovski 60 with 20...60 zoom spotter off to a great friend in Alberta who is headed this way for a mountain hunt...hunter host program.
This site has helpful knowlegable hunters....ask and share your knowlege...

Cheers
Steven

Everett
08-03-2014, 07:19 PM
I have seen Goats right from old Forestry Roads outside Powell River. If my memory serves me correct one was even called Goat Main or something similar.

b.c hunter 88
08-03-2014, 07:51 PM
yup I did hunt goat main after 2 years I had the chance at one but didn't think it was retrievable so never pulled the trigger maybe a 60 yard shot I think ill take extra time off work and spend the extra 5 days hiking in. its pretty nasty terrain wear we go but hey if it was easy everyone would want to hunt them.

Kami
08-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Hunter88, how much goat hunting experience do you have? Have you hiked in, to reach their terrain? What is your experience with back country terrain and carrying everything you need to live and survive on your back? I don't know much about goats in the Powell River area, is there a general open season on them there? Or did you pull a draw?

I have reservations about hunting goats alone. Goats are found in nasty secluded areas. Lots of opportunity for an injury and dangerous situations lie all around you. I do have a Spot Gen III. It is excellent and I do recommend it highly. I use it whenever I go off the beaten path, alone of not. The tracking feature is awesome. If you are injured and can't summon help, someone back home can see your last known location. At least they know where to start looking. I set mine to send a tracking signal every 15 mins. When I get home I have a great recording of my hike. The Spot stops sending tracking signals when it senses no movement. It starts sending them again as soon as you start moving again.

Someone once told me, "There is no substitute for experience. No amount of reading, studying, planning, acquiring the best gear, whatever, can replace, or make up for lack of experience." In my stage of life, with some years of experience behind me, I agree with that statement.

Goose
08-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Just a quick thought about the gun issue, others may disagree, but since the hunt you are planning is a ways off. Why don't you look into getting a custom rifle made. Talk to the gun maker/gun smith and get one that fits you perfectly, and exactly for the hunting style you choose to pursue. Just a thought, good luck though!
Cheers

b.c hunter 88
08-04-2014, 06:46 PM
thanks goose that's a great idea
I have been into goat country but Powell river area makes its much harder than other areas goats hear are a general season sept 10 to oct 31 there's no roads and the places id be looking at are 3 day plush hikes into. how ever guaranteed no ones been into these areas . one of the easier areas I went into had one of the biggest cougar iv ever seen I to plan on hunt it this dec and doing a little scouting. I think I found the best location that float plane could get into.

b.c hunter 88
08-04-2014, 07:18 PM
I seem to have a 100 areas that would all do great just got to make a plan and go there now defiantly the hardest hunt extra hard in the areas im trying.