PDA

View Full Version : Trail cams

bearhunter338-06
07-31-2014, 07:53 AM
What trail cams are you using? What do you think about them? Have you used a different brand in the past?

Rob Chipman
07-31-2014, 08:49 AM
Moultrie D-33 from Walmart. Used it last year. Liked it. It's out there now. Bought a Simms to put with it, but haven't seen the results. It was smaller and the holes for the python lock on the Simms were too small (never thought of testing that before I packed it into the mountains!).

The Moultrie was good, but I can't say its better than the rest. The Bushnell that the 4 months in a Blacktails' Life was shot on looks pretty good.

Pioneerman
07-31-2014, 09:17 AM
We are using some cheap tascos with great results and long battery life and have a few of the Moultrie D-33 that work very well

BRvalley
07-31-2014, 09:29 AM
cheap tasco's from princess auto, $160 for a 2 pack, happy with battery life on AA's and image quality (night shots incl)...no complaints

Cyrus
07-31-2014, 09:33 AM
cant go wrong with moultrie or bushnell. brownings look good too. ebay is your friend for trail cams. have saved more than half price. i picked up a stealth g42 and it looks very good. 21 cams to be checked this weekend!

Wentrot
07-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Myself and pinhead use two different Bushnells, two Simmons whitetails and two Stealthcam Skouts. The stealth cams can be "moody" but take good pictures and video when they are working properly. The Simmons are great for the money and the Bushnells dont have enough use yet to review fully. I will update this post with results of each for you to see.

bassplayer
07-31-2014, 09:48 AM
I own 5 Moultries. Single set of batteries last close to a year. Picture quality is awesome. My oldest Moultrie is 8 years old and is still ticking. Not a single bad issue with any of them. I had 2 Stealthcams before and had issues with both of them.

chris
07-31-2014, 10:16 AM
I use a spypoint and really like it. Its my only trail cam so I have nothing to compare it with. Nightime pics are clear when objects are stationary or slowly moving but can be a bit blurry if moving quick (good enough for scouting still). Daytime pics are very clear. Battery life lasts a long time. I leave it up all year round and have no issues with the cold either, down to -25 and still taking pictures. I am happy with it and would recommend it. Completely addictive, I often day dream about what I will find on it the next time I check haha.

s0ylentgreen
07-31-2014, 10:22 AM
i have 13 cams and about 10 constantly out there active:

the best i found is a moultrie D55IR - that uses c batteries - reliable and lasts months
also simmons whitetail IR - aa batteries

second best - i also have many TAscos - both C and AA batteries (regular flash and IR flash) - both last about 2 months

i use eneloop rechargeable batteries for most of them

also a UWAY celluar-equipped that sends me pictures via text messaging - its very good but $$$
dependant on Rogers cellular coverage....

all of them are fairly reliable - i check them within 2 months

Ourea
07-31-2014, 11:32 AM
i have 13 cams and about 10 constantly out there active:

the best i found is a moultrie D55IR - that uses c batteries - reliable and lasts months
also simmons whitetail IR - aa batteries

second best - i also have many TAscos - both C and AA batteries (regular flash and IR flash) - both last about 2 months

i use eneloop rechargeable batteries for most of them

also a UWAY celluar-equipped that sends me pictures via text messaging - its very good but $$$
dependant on Rogers cellular coverage....

all of them are fairly reliable - i check them within 2 months

Most guys that run a stable of cams all appear to use assorted brands and models and seem to have a good working knowledge of each models performance.
I am no different.

There is no mystery that even dependable and proven models will have the odd dud right out of production.
My advice on buying a cam.....pick a cam in your price range based on reviews and then TEST IF THOROUGHLY BEFORE HANGING IT IN THE FIELD.
Test it thoroughly, day time and night time.
Enter the field of view from different angles and distances.

I just added 6 Browning RECON Force to my ever growing and eclectic mix of cameras.
One of them has a failing IR right out of the box.
Called Browning and without hesitation they are replacing it no questions asked.

The other 5 cams all function as they should.
I am trying the Browning as the reviews are extremely good other than being a bit power hungry.
The only cam that has a faster trigger speed is Reconyx....which is 3x more$$.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/unnamed1_zps842f2253.jpg

6pt_elk_wannabe
07-31-2014, 12:23 PM
uway for me, I've got one VH200HD and two of the VH200B models, both work incredible, they are a bit pricey but don't fail. The VH200HD got logged and other than a little exterior physical damage it still works great.

Woodrow
07-31-2014, 04:49 PM
I just got wild game innovation from eBay for 60 bucks. It feels light and kinda cheep but the first batch of pics look great.

bc_buckshot
07-31-2014, 05:17 PM
Moultrie all the way. No issues and pics/video speak for them self

Sitkaspruce
07-31-2014, 09:09 PM
3 Spypoint, 3 Bushnell (1 BF HD cam), 1-Browning Recon Force, 1- Simmons and 1- Homebrew.

Will be buying 2 more Simmons as they are the best bang for the buck in my opinion. The big "C" now carries them.

Will be seeing how Ourea likes his new Brownings, the jury is still out on mine.

Cheers

SS

.300WSMImpact!
07-31-2014, 09:57 PM
I am a Uway guy all the way, I have never had any issues with the Uway, but I have only tried one or two other kinds so I guess I cant tell you if its the best or not, I have 6 Uways, I have had bears beat up a couple and I sent them to uway they fixed them up and sent them back at a very small cost

RayHill
07-31-2014, 10:22 PM
Moultrie D-33 from Walmart. Used it last year. Liked it. It's out there now. Bought a Simms to put with it, but haven't seen the results. It was smaller and the holes for the python lock on the Simms were too small (never thought of testing that before I packed it into the mountains!).

The Moultrie was good, but I can't say its better than the rest. The Bushnell that the 4 months in a Blacktails' Life was shot on looks pretty good.

The cam that I used to make that video is a Bushnell Trophy Cam HD

Cyrus
08-01-2014, 02:16 AM
i have 2 browning recons out there right now. as well as moultries bushnells simmons scoutguard primos and a couple other brands im forgetting. do your research. chasingame.com is a good site to check out.

Brian011
08-02-2014, 11:30 AM
I have around 10,
the best ones in my opinion for the price are the Simmons 4 or 6 mp cams.
I have 6 of them and have had no issues at all, they are about 90-120$ each. They take 4 AA batteries and I've had them out all winter from November to April and after taking almost 3000 pics the battery life was still 50%.

I would stay away from stealth cams as I had battery problems with most of them.

I have a couple moultries which which have been good so far.

Tasco's are also good for the price, similar to the Simmons, with very good battery life.

I have one Wildview and after checking it once it seemed good so far.

I also have a Bushnell and it's a good cam but it's just a bit more expensive.

caddisguy
08-13-2014, 01:45 PM
I have a Moultrie D-444 that someone gave me last year. I tried it out for the first time recently and got video of a buck on the first night. Between that and the testing that I have done, it seems to have a good trigger time, field of view, good day video and decent night video. It seems pretty good all around. I would like to get a couple more trail cams, but though you can get the Moultrie D-444 in the US for $100 USD, by the time you order one there or buy it in Canada, it's between $140-$160.

Since I want a few cameras but don't want to invest a mortgage payment into it, I am considering either Moultrie A-5, Simmons 4MP or Primos Truth Cam 35. The field of view, field of detection, night time range, trigger time etc on these ones aren't half as good as the D-444 and there are numerous complaints about the cameras dying after a few days, but I think I'll gamble... just not sure which ones to place my bets on yet.

I don't suppose anyone has used all three and can compare? ... Moultrie A5 ($69.99) vs Simmons 4MP ($85) vs Primos Truth Cam 35 ($75). I *might* get one of each and compare for myself.

Cyrus
08-13-2014, 05:27 PM
i would go simmons out of the 3. only takes 4 aa batts and last a longtime. primos look good but always seem to have issues. the a5 takes c batts which dont last as long

caddisguy
08-13-2014, 06:03 PM
I am leaning towards the Simmons. I'm surprised those C batteries don't last longer. Though the Moultrie D-444 I have takes C batteries and I tested it indoors for many days and outside on a half dozen weekend camp trips and it still said 95% so who knows. It's out there doing it's first long haul now. I can't stop thinking about the little guy... hoping he's doing alright and still creepin and not a bear chew toy.

Anyway after reading hundreds of reviews on the A5, I imagine Moultrie is kicking themselves for letting it get out on the market. Moultrie seems to have a really good rep, but that A5 is leaving a stain. A good portion of the reviews are about dead cameras. Simmons 4MP seems to have less lemons. I'll probably pick up two of them.

hunter1947
08-13-2014, 06:07 PM
I buy the ones that are not that expensive they are around the 120 range they take still pictures 5mp and videos as long as the trail cam takes decent pictures and that the trail cam tells me what is in the area is all I want to know the trail pictures from different trail cams on my thread cam thread all cams are anywhere from 80.00 to 120.00 and if I do get one stolen I am not out a hell of a lot of money..

hunter1947
08-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Yes the simmons takes decent trail pictures I have one as well and I like it a lot..

hunter1947
08-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Yes the simmons takes decent trail pictures I have one as well and I like it a lot it takes 4AA batt I got my Simmons at Walmart store..

Fred1
08-13-2014, 06:12 PM
I just bought the Simmons that Cabellas was flogging ($100) My first cam. It seems to work pretty good. Pic quality is better than I thought! Some images blurred a bit but that seems to be the norm. Set up is easy, 4AA seem to be going strong into week 2. Im not going to post pics for National Geographic - I bought this simply as a scouting tool - Goin to get another one and one more of another brand - prolly the Browning. So far I think the Simmons is pretty good for the buck. Oh and there is a nice 5x4 whitetail that has a date with my arrow....

badgreenbird
08-13-2014, 06:34 PM
I have a reconnyx and Bushnell trophy cam; both black flash. The Rec has a faster trigger for stills, but I like the Bushnell video more

caddisguy
08-13-2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys... I think I'm gonna pick up a 2-pack of Simmons 4MP tomorrow for $170. Won't be as good as my Moultrie D-444 which is is fairly decent, but I'm not hangin these pictures on the wall either. If the cams last a couple years and if I can make out whether or not a deer is sporting wood half the time, that's all I need to gain knowledge of my hunting areas which is priceless and lasts a lifetime.

6pt_elk_wannabe
08-13-2014, 10:01 PM
From everyone's experience on here, which cam has the best battery life? I'm looking for cams that I can leave out all winter for periods of up to possibly 8 months

Murder
08-13-2014, 10:02 PM
Just getting into trail cams. Picked up a couple of simmons 6mp from cabelas for 79.99 each with a 30 dollar mail in rebate. Bith showed up with primos folding saws as a bonus. 50 bicks with a saw aint bad. Set them up inside and tested and was thoroughly impressed with the quality. The ir led are visible slightly in the dark and tbey are extremely bright so close images tend to wash out white. I fixed it with help from youtube by placing a piece of clear plastic milk jug in front of the led's to difuse it. Works like a charm! 4gb micro sd cards off ebay for 20 bucks (4 of them) and im set. I cant justify big bucks spent on an item I purposely leave in the woods for the taking. Best buy I could find

Cheers

Mike

Murder
08-13-2014, 10:07 PM
Most guys that run a stable of cams all appear to use assorted brands and models and seem to have a good working knowledge of each models performance.
I am no different.

There is no mystery that even dependable and proven models will have the odd dud right out of production.
My advice on buying a cam.....pick a cam in your price range based on reviews and then TEST IF THOROUGHLY BEFORE HANGING IT IN THE FIELD.
Test it thoroughly, day time and night time.
Enter the field of view from different angles and distances.

I just added 6 Browning RECON Force to my ever growing and eclectic mix of cameras.
One of them has a failing IR right out of the box.
Called Browning and without hesitation they are replacing it no questions asked.

The other 5 cams all function as they should.
I am trying the Browning as the reviews are extremely good other than being a bit power hungry.
The only cam that has a faster trigger speed is Reconyx....which is 3x more$$.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/unnamed1_zps842f2253.jpg

What kinda crappy camera took that picture. I wont buy that one ;)

Cyrus
08-13-2014, 10:19 PM
there is a seller on ebay from canada who routinely sells simmons 6mp cams. you can get them for 50-60 dollars a piece most of the time. ive got a couple from him

hunter1947
08-14-2014, 02:27 AM
I like the Tasco trail cam very small in size 5mp still pic or video takes 4aa batt and the batteries will last a long time when you take still pic only
all depends on how many pictures the trail cam takes the more pictures it takes the less your battery life will last the average coast for this trail
cam is 130.00 Canadian price..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/00194.JPG

boxhitch
08-14-2014, 08:01 AM
From everyone's experience on here, which cam has the best battery life? I'm looking for cams that I can leave out all winter for periods of up to possibly 8 monthsconsider a gel cell or rechargeable battteries and a $30 solar charger

Sitkaspruce
08-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Costco sells the 7mp Prohunter for $170 for 2 incl shipping. I have a couple of these and they are great. Now add in the $30 rebate x2 and you get 2 great cameras for $110.

Cheers

SS

kootenay_jack
08-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Just got my Day 6 Outdoors Plotwatcher Pro, Can not wait to get it out and use it. Marketed as a scouting camera as it is time laps and not motion activated. I got a sweet deal on it $200 (USD).

caddisguy
08-15-2014, 06:57 AM
I picked up a 2-pack of Simmons 4MP yesterday. Princess Auto has them for 169.99 and I had a gift certificate for $25. After tax I think I paid $165. I configured them for 15 second video with a 10 second delay. Did some testing in a dark walk-in hall/closet... also set one up in the kitchen and baited it with a beer. Going to go through the footage when I get home from work and I'll see how the trigger time and night-time footage is. I might get out to hang them this weekend and check on the Moultrie D-444 that's out working for me now.

I'm seeing a few bucks in two of my spots. 2 4x4's in one spot and 2 does and a spike in my other spot. I'm guessing if they are there now that they'll still be hanging around when the season begins *fingers crossed* With these extra cams out it should give me insight into another spot and help me decide which spot to focus on.

caddisguy
08-15-2014, 07:04 AM
Costco sells the 7mp Prohunter for $170 for 2 incl shipping. I have a couple of these and they are great. Now add in the $30 rebate x2 and you get 2 great cameras for $110.

Cheers

SS

That sounds like a heck of a deal

BiG Boar
08-15-2014, 07:48 AM
Sitkaspruce, do they come with a mail in rebate?

huntingtime
08-15-2014, 08:23 AM
Sitkaspruce, do they come with a mail in rebate?

I just found this one Simmons Website http://www.simmonsoptics.com/global/promotions.cfm

Im going to order that 2 pack from Costco.

huntingtime
08-15-2014, 08:26 AM
That sounds like a heck of a deal

Caddisguy does that rebate work for both of the cameras so 60 bucks off or just one of them because its a two pack?

caddisguy
08-15-2014, 08:45 AM
I think it would only be one $30 rebate. The camera is a two-pack, but it is essentially one item. I did not know about the rebate until SS mentioned it and you posted the link. I butchered the heck out of the package to get the cameras out. It's in my garbage and I doubt the UPC code is in one piece. For $30, I'm going to dig through my garbage tonight. If it got cut up, I'll tape it back together best I can. Wish me luck with my dumpster diving.

Sitkaspruce
08-15-2014, 10:02 AM
I picked up a 2-pack of Simmons 4MP yesterday. Princess Auto has them for 169.99 and I had a gift certificate for $25. After tax I think I paid $165. I configured them for 15 second video with a 10 second delay. Did some testing in a dark walk-in hall/closet... also set one up in the kitchen and baited it with a beer. Going to go through the footage when I get home from work and I'll see how the trigger time and night-time footage is. I might get out to hang them this weekend and check on the Moultrie D-444 that's out working for me now.

I'm seeing a few bucks in two of my spots. 2 4x4's in one spot and 2 does and a spike in my other spot. I'm guessing if they are there now that they'll still be hanging around when the season begins *fingers crossed* With these extra cams out it should give me insight into another spot and help me decide which spot to focus on.

let us know about the video. Mine sucks as it is not HD, so the picture looks crappy on the TV and computer as they are both HD. I have a couple Bushnell HD cams that are amazing for video and good for picts. My reg cams (Spypoint, Simmons, Older Bushnell) are just for pictures as the video sucks.

As for the Costco cams, it should be for each cam, but who cares, even for $170, that is a great deal!!

The bonus to the Simmons Prohunter is with some minor mods, it fits the Bushnell Bear boxes, The other Simmons don't.

Cheers

SS

caddisguy
08-15-2014, 10:53 AM
let us know about the video. Mine sucks as it is not HD, so the picture looks crappy on the TV and computer as they are both HD. I have a couple Bushnell HD cams that are amazing for video and good for picts. My reg cams (Spypoint, Simmons, Older Bushnell) are just for pictures as the video sucks.

As for the Costco cams, it should be for each cam, but who cares, even for $170, that is a great deal!!

The bonus to the Simmons Prohunter is with some minor mods, it fits the Bushnell Bear boxes, The other Simmons don't.

Cheers

SS

I suspect the 7MP Prohunter has superior photo/video quality when compared to the Simmons 4MP Whitetail. Both take 640x480 videos, but the 7MP should be better quality. Some of the videos from my Moultrie D-444 (8MP) look decent on the 40" Samsung SmartTV, but it's not HD by far. All my cameras are 640x480 and will be grainy on the big screen. For my purposes, if I can count points in half the videos I'm happy.

That is certainly a good deal Costco is offering. I would have been better off getting those 7MP's from Costco rather than the 4MP's, but I "needed" them right away. The Prohunter 7MP has a better detection range, better LED's and night range as a result. Looking at the specs, the only thing the 4MP night do better is trigger speed. 1.2 versus 1.6 seconds.

Sitkaspruce
08-15-2014, 04:29 PM
A buddy has a couple of the Simmons 4mp and the one reason I will not get them is they do not show picture count. So you have no idea if there is any pictures taken until you set it up with computer or card reader/camera. It I am not sure if it even has battery strength showing. They do take nice day picts and Ok night picts and for basic camin, they are good.

He got his at Cabelas last month.

Cheers

SS

dd3boss
08-15-2014, 05:50 PM
I also just purchased 2 Simmons 6MP Whitetail cams from Cabelas a few days ago. $79.99 each and then a $30 rebate so $50 each. After seeing this thread I thought I would buy 2 more but they no longer have them in stock. 😞. I also have 2 wildgame innovations 8MP (forget the model) but I am not to thrilled with the battery life. Only get around a month in weather around the freezing mark.

Wentrot
08-15-2014, 09:01 PM
A buddy has a couple of the Simmons 4mp and the one reason I will not get them is they do not show picture count. So you have no idea if there is any pictures taken until you set it up with computer or card reader/camera. It I am not sure if it even has battery strength showing. They do take nice day picts and Ok night picts and for basic camin, they are good.

He got his at Cabelas last month.

Cheers

SS

Errr FYI you CAN see the pic/video count on the simmons 4mp lol

caddisguy
08-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Just checked out the the test vids from the Simmons 4MP Whitetail cams I bought yesterday. I'm not impressed. First off, the 15 second 640x480 vids are 25MB each. That is ridiculous. We're talking a 15 second grainy 640x480 video. That is about the same amount of space an HD video would take. I'm guessing it's a raw format with no compression what-so-ever. 30 second vid--twice as long--on the Moultrie D-444 is only 6MB and way better quality.

To dig the knife a little deeper, the vids are pretty much a whitewash. It's over-exposed and hard to see anything. Could be a result of being indoors and the reflection of white walls, but I never had issues testing the Moultrie D-444 inside. Not sure if I'd be better off switching to photo instead. Don't really want to mess around with more testing tonight... gotta get up early to go fish and juggle these cams around. Dang!!

Sitkaspruce
08-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Errr FYI you CAN see the pic/video count on the simmons 4mp lol

Not on these ones, unless he is reading (or not, he is retired after all....) his instruction booklet.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/39036/simmons-whitetail-4mp-night-vision-trail-camera

if there is a way, let me know. His screens do not show anything other than power is on and how to set up your selection, set date etc.

Cheers

SS

Wentrot
08-16-2014, 08:13 AM
Not on these ones, unless he is reading (or not, he is retired after all....) his instruction booklet.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/39036/simmons-whitetail-4mp-night-vision-trail-camera

if there is a way, let me know. His screens do not show anything other than power is on and how to set up your selection, set date etc.

Cheers

SS

A buddy and I each have one of them and can view the count. When you check the camera just open it up and scroll down through the settings menu until you see the number. A bit of a pain and not as easy as instantly looking but only takes 10 seconds.

SeaScene
08-16-2014, 12:26 PM
No trail cams. Sick concept in my hunting ethic view. You can look at todays young kids fondly but they won’t remember you fondly when they get old enough to realize their used up planet is expiring with them along with it because you set that table on your watch. Hunting supplies are displayed in factory sized buildings not from your dad’s 3 gun closet... deer, duck, small game which kept his family table well supplied without trail cams, gimmicks and all the other piles of unnecessary crap that did not even exist 10 yrs ago. Conservation is easy. The more you spend the more damage you do. That paper thin atmosphere protecting us all is being studied right now to see if geo engineering can prop it up. Buying endless stuff... the trophy house big enough for a tribe... the fat hog suv truck etc, etc, etc. We are digging our own tomb and the ironic fact is that an excellent start at fixing it all is in the mirror every morning.

Wentrot
08-16-2014, 01:42 PM
No trail cams. Sick concept in my hunting ethic view. You can look at todays young kids fondly but they won’t remember you fondly when they get old enough to realize their used up planet is expiring with them along with it because you set that table on your watch. Hunting supplies are displayed in factory sized buildings not from your dad’s 3 gun closet... deer, duck, small game which kept his family table well supplied without trail cams, gimmicks and all the other piles of unnecessary crap that did not even exist 10 yrs ago. Conservation is easy. The more you spend the more damage you do. That paper thin atmosphere protecting us all is being studied right now to see if geo engineering can prop it up. Buying endless stuff... the trophy house big enough for a tribe... the fat hog suv truck etc, etc, etc. We are digging our own tomb and the ironic fact is that an excellent start at fixing it all is in the mirror every morning.

Yikes.....

Sitkaspruce
08-16-2014, 03:00 PM
SeaScene

Too funny!!! Thanks for the laugh today!!!!!

Cheers

SS

igojuone
08-16-2014, 06:00 PM
I picked up my first trail cam a Browning Range Ops left it out for close to 2 months and still 66% battery power left. Wasn't a ton of action where I left it but this one photo looks promising.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/igojuone/10pointer_zpsf0763b2f.jpg (http://s848.photobucket.com/user/igojuone/media/10pointer_zpsf0763b2f.jpg.html)

hunter1947
08-17-2014, 06:48 AM
How many picture did your trail cam take in them two months ???.

hunter1947
08-17-2014, 06:52 AM
This is to funny I just choked on my coffee LOL..

boxhitch
08-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Igojuone, Looks like some good flash range on that Browning , not sure what the buck will think about that spot after being lit up .
That buck has potential

caddisguy
08-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Wow SeaScene... over-react much? Trailcams = geo-engineering? Worried about $80 trail cam consumerism with that huge boat in your avatar? ;-P Ok... you breath into the paper bag... meanwhile, here's some interesting footage (contributing to geo-engineering obviously) from the Moultrie D-444 from a one week expedition. Only one buck at the beginning, but some cool footage of a cougar sniffing where a doe was having a nap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9bLzAx9e8M

Wentrot
08-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Seeing as we are sharing, these are with my Simmons whitetail 4mp camera.

http://youtu.be/UbgGQS0nKg4

Wentrot
08-17-2014, 06:12 PM
http://youtu.be/9SFVTQIkWAI

caddisguy
08-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the vids Wentrot. I hung two of those Simmons 4MP Whitetail's this weekend and I'm hoping the footage turns out as good as yours. A lot of bush whacking and some rock climbing effort went into it, so hopefully there's a good pay-off. I'll check them early September and it should help me with a final decision for opening week hunting. Will follow up on this thread in a few weeks.

Wentrot
08-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the vids Wentrot. I hung two of those Simmons 4MP Whitetail's this weekend and I'm hoping the footage turns out as good as yours. A lot of bush whacking and some rock climbing effort went into it, so hopefully there's a good pay-off. I'll check them early September and it should help me with a final decision for opening week hunting. Will follow up on this thread in a few weeks.

You will like them for sure, the batteries don't seem to die either. Mine got a lot of footage and still had full life.

Sofa King
08-17-2014, 06:57 PM
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/10h/origin-d4.scene7.com/is/image/GanderMountainOvertons/691331_L1?$product$
anyone have one of these, the spypoint live series.
I almost bought one this summer, but it became a fight between it and a new set of tires for the truck.
the tires won out.
still have my heart set on one of these though.

Fred1
08-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Cabelas has the Simmons white tails back in stock... Just ordered two more... Print out the rebate form and they are $50 each - great scouting cams!

s0ylentgreen
08-19-2014, 06:50 PM
here is a good link for some tips

http://bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/trailcamtips/

caddisguy
08-19-2014, 08:18 PM
I'm going crazy thinking about all the things my cams might be seeing out there. For the one that had the cougar that was sniffing around where the doe slept a few posts back, I moved the camera a few hundred yards away. Not sure if it will make a difference, but I'm hoping to see more of the buck and figured he might get spooked by the cat.

Hopefully the Moultrie D-444 doesn't start flaking out again (it stopped filming night footage after the second night... no IR and the LCD just showed a black line across it until I found the hidden reset button) Got the Simmons 4MP Whitetail's hung in great spots too. Looking forward to seeing how those perform. I'll be checking them all in a couple weeks.

mcrae
08-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Keep an eye on Canadian Tire too they seem to have trail cams on sale at least once a month. They have a one year in store replacement warranty as well... If your Moultrie cam craps out you can take it back to the store and get a new one... My last Moultrie was acting up 6 months after I bought it. I had receipt and box and its was no hassle at all walked out with a new camera. I am running Bushnell, Moultrie, Uway. They all have good points and bad points. I am an on sale cam buyer !

igojuone
08-19-2014, 08:38 PM
How many picture did your trail cam take in them two months ???.

It took about 250-300 at 5mp I believe.

Igojuone, Looks like some good flash range on that Browning , not sure what the buck will think about that spot after being lit up .
That buck has potential

It didn't bother him, there's more pics of him at later dates just not as good. The last photo of him he looks to be about 12 inches from the cam.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/igojuone/IMG_0198_zpsfb6ccb87.jpg (http://s848.photobucket.com/user/igojuone/media/IMG_0198_zpsfb6ccb87.jpg.html)

mcrae
08-19-2014, 09:05 PM
This one left nose prints....

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/sako555/3043_zps885fb274.jpg (http://s70.photobucket.com/user/sako555/media/3043_zps885fb274.jpg.html)

Wentrot
08-19-2014, 09:12 PM
So did this one! Don't mind the date, piece of junk deletes its setting constantly lol

http://youtu.be/x8d9U5DMgrk?list=UUIaHz8dML-os9jYxPeSlTZw

igojuone
08-20-2014, 09:36 PM
That buck has potential

One other thing, the Browning flash is IR so nothing but a red glow.

igojuone
09-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Stopped by my trail cam and grabbed the flash card. Different location then last.
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/igojuone/IMG_0207_zpscc3caf4f.jpg (http://s848.photobucket.com/user/igojuone/media/IMG_0207_zpscc3caf4f.jpg.html)
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/igojuone/IMG_0107_zpsca0ef9db.jpg (http://s848.photobucket.com/user/igojuone/media/IMG_0107_zpsca0ef9db.jpg.html)
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/igojuone/IMG_0198_zps1be4fcd9.jpg (http://s848.photobucket.com/user/igojuone/media/IMG_0198_zps1be4fcd9.jpg.html)
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/igojuone/IMG_0180_zpsd8a71071.jpg (http://s848.photobucket.com/user/igojuone/media/IMG_0180_zpsd8a71071.jpg.html)
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/igojuone/IMG_0182_zps5761ce1a.jpg (http://s848.photobucket.com/user/igojuone/media/IMG_0182_zps5761ce1a.jpg.html)

igojuone
09-10-2014, 09:42 PM
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/igojuone/IMG_0164_zps54c156be.jpg (http://s848.photobucket.com/user/igojuone/media/IMG_0164_zps54c156be.jpg.html)http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/igojuone/IMG_0075_zpsb786905e.jpg (http://s848.photobucket.com/user/igojuone/media/IMG_0075_zpsb786905e.jpg.html)
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/igojuone/IMG_0071_zpsfcb7aa77.jpg (http://s848.photobucket.com/user/igojuone/media/IMG_0071_zpsfcb7aa77.jpg.html)http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/igojuone/IMG_0106_zps713777c7.jpg (http://s848.photobucket.com/user/igojuone/media/IMG_0106_zps713777c7.jpg.html)

bc_buckshot
09-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Wow.. All i can say

igojuone
09-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Most still in velvet but the nicest one in my opinion is all bone, he's a 6x5. Missed him by 24 hours. Cross paths with the nice 3x3 just as the photo is taken, only 30 yards away and he just stood broadside looking at me while I thought about drawing my bow or not.