PDA

View Full Version : Hiking / Hunting boots for our temperate Rainforest?

firstlight
07-28-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm seeking opinions / recommendations on a 100% waterproof boot for bowhunting, which for me means long hikes up steep inclines with lot's of rocky, uneven terrain.

While I prefer a leather boot and I have been skeptical of all rubber boots, I can't find a reliable leather boot, which doesn't let in H20 after 2-3 years.

I am wondering what you guys think of rubber boots like Lacrosse (arrowhead) or Bogs or Muck boots VS. leather boots.

I own goretex boots by Danner and Vasque but they have leaked water after a few years of hunting / hiking, even thou they were properly maintained.

What I'm looking for is a reliable boot that I can hike in with my bow and have good footing and traction along with being waterproof. With our rocky terrain ankle support is important and I can't have my foot slipping around inside the boot.

It never stays below 25F for very long so I'm not so concerned about sub zero weather; it's just wet enough here to grow mushrooms on your hat!

Suggestions welcome.

Trekker
07-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Rubber boots aren't going to give you the support and comfort that a good mountain boot will and your feet will sweat more. My suggestion is to buy a good quality boot like hanwag, crispi, kenetrek, meindl etc and keep them waxed with a good waterproofing wax.

hunter1993ap
07-28-2014, 09:00 PM
Rubber boots aren't going to give you the support and comfort that a good mountain boot will and your feet will sweat more. My suggestion is to buy a good quality boot like hanwag, crispi, kenetrek, meindl etc and keep them waxed with a good waterproofing wax.

I am having grief keeping my feet dry, and I have two of the four brands you named. always put wax on them, but they just seem to soak up the water. not sure why. I agree with you about the rubber boots, if your ankles are not super strong, they are not great in uneven terrain.

HarryToolips
07-28-2014, 09:08 PM
Unfortunately, you will never, as far as I know, be 100% water proof without rubber boots..what works for me, and is very water proof, is I wear my regular army boots which are extremely durable and rugged with fantastic ankle support, then throw NEOS over em when I need more water protection...

358mag
07-28-2014, 09:12 PM
http://images.schnees.com/thumb/SCC-509.jpg (http://www.schnees.com/product/SCHNEES-Hunter-II-pac-boots/Made-In-Montana-Pac-Boots) SCHNEE'S Hunter II (http://www.schnees.com/product/SCHNEES-Hunter-II-pac-boots/Made-In-Montana-Pac-Boots)
$325.00
more colors/options (http://www.schnees.com/product/SCHNEES-Hunter-II-pac-boots/Made-In-Montana-Pac-Boots)
Try a pair of these out your will be impressed , these are my go to boots when it get rainy + early winter boots , why more waterproof than the best leather boot , great traction and great ankle support even with 60-80 lbs of weight on your back hiking in the mountains .

hunter1993ap
07-28-2014, 09:23 PM
I second 358mag. I forgot I had a pair of those for a few years, picked up from a garage sale and they worked slick.

firstlight
07-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Those Schnees look like a good boot.

I wonder how they would compare with something like the Danner Rainforest for hiking the clear cut's?

I suspect the Schnees is better for the H2O

hookedonblacktails
07-28-2014, 11:55 PM
Ever considered caulk boots? Looks like you spend time in the slashes and steep stuff? So do I, after 1 season in caulks I shake my head in disbelief that I spent so much time sliding around in regular boots. Take a look at the Viking brand, the all rubber kind not the ones with the leather uppers, they are form fitting with a good strong sole, wear them with bama socks so size them accordingly, the bama socks help take care of the moisture associated with rubber boots

boxhitch
07-29-2014, 08:38 AM
Take a look at the Viking brand, the all rubber kind not the ones with the leather uppers, they are form fitting with a good strong sole,Yupp , Viking Laces ups , lug sole or caulks

Ankle support is over rated , strengthen your feet and ankles and legs by training. Cross-country runners don't have much support.

J_T
07-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Yup, if I lived in the wet lands of BC, I'd be in a rubber caulk boot. Stable foot hold and traction over everything else, rubber are dry and they aren't noisey. Here in the EK I wear my Schnees exclusively. Saves the shins.

07-29-2014, 08:46 AM
I have Meindl Island Pros, and have never had wet feet if I keep them well oiled. They are super durable compared to Danner or Redwing boots. Pack boots like Schnees or Kenetreck are great too, and if you oil the leather uppers, your feet will stay dry. Pack boots are all I used when I guided.

allan
07-29-2014, 09:09 AM
I've found that good gaiters slows the soaking process down. My boots seem to leek from about top half first. I use lots of boot wax and it seems to help.
Ive never gone more then 4 years with a boot that stays compleatly dry either...