PDA

View Full Version : Backpack hunting watch

Stone C. Killer
07-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a watch. I have a feeling that there are watches on the market now that will at a minimum: tell me the time (even when it's dark), tell me my elevation, tell me how many kms I've traveled, have an alarm ect... I have not looked into it at all but I thought I'd ask those in the know here first. Thanks for any suggestions.

keoke
07-28-2014, 05:26 PM
At the cost of the altimeter watch you would be better off getting a dedicated gps and a cheap iron man watch.

Amphibious
07-28-2014, 06:12 PM
+1 for a timex. I've been using the "Expedition" digital for years. Even replaced my $$$ pilots watch. Light, low profile, and you won't cry when you slip and smash it on a rock.

100m depth rating is bunk. Had two fold on 25-30m freedives.

Tuffcity
07-28-2014, 07:12 PM
My casio pathfinder has been a decent rig- heavily abused and still running. The trouble with watch altimeters is that they are pressure sensitive so as the weather changes so does the reading, not super way out but can be as much as a 100 metres off.

RC

goatdancer
07-28-2014, 08:52 PM
+1 for a timex. I've been using the "Expedition" digital for years. Even replaced my $$$ pilots watch. Light, low profile, and you won't cry when you slip and smash it on a rock.

100m depth rating is bunk. Had two fold on 25-30m freedives.

The waterproof rating is for fresh water. It's considerably less in salt water.

Stone C. Killer
07-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the advice. I went into sport check this evening, the guy helping me seems to know a bit about these kind of watches. Said the one that would be the best for me is the garmin phoenix (if I were to go that route)... has anyone had experience with these?

BCHunterTV
07-28-2014, 11:37 PM
http://www.suunto.com/en-CA/Products/sports-watches/Suunto-Core/Suunto-Core-All-Black/

BCHunterTV
07-28-2014, 11:39 PM
http://www.mec.ca/product/5033-681/suunto-ambit-2-gps-watch-whrm-unisex/

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-28-2014, 11:50 PM
http://www.suunto.com/en-CA/Products/sports-watches/Suunto-Core/Suunto-Core-All-Black/
X2 best bang for your buck!

Ry151
07-29-2014, 06:55 PM
My casio pathfinder has been a decent rig- heavily abused and still running. The trouble with watch altimeters is that they are pressure sensitive so as the weather changes so does the reading, not super way out but can be as much as a 100 metres off.

RC
X2 for the pathfinder. I only use the barometer feature to convert everything into density altitude for my drop charts. More consistent and puts temperature into the equation. Read reviews for the watches, specifically battery time. Pathfinder is solar powered so thats why i went with it

BuckNaked
07-29-2014, 09:03 PM
X2 for the pathfinder. I only use the barometer feature to convert everything into density altitude for my drop charts. More consistent and puts temperature into the equation. Read reviews for the watches, specifically battery time. Pathfinder is solar powered so thats why i went with it

x3 i love my Pathfinder, had it more than 10 years! have it perma-mounted on my pack shoulder strap.

Skull Hunter
07-31-2014, 02:27 PM
I've got the Origo Granite Peak and I've been very happy with it. The alarm is kind of weak, but I don't often use that anyways. Does tent to eat batteries up pretty quickly, but they're not very expensive to replace.

knockturnal
07-31-2014, 03:49 PM
Suunto Core for me. I beat the shit outta it and it's still fine.

Colinofthewoods
07-31-2014, 10:53 PM
I've got a suunto ambit, it has the abc, as well as a gps and heart rate moniter. The gps is handy as a backup , as it doesnt really have any mapping function, but you can set waypoints and know your location. I use the heart monitor for all of my training. A bit pricey , and only probably worth it you train alot as well. I love it, and use it all the time, on the boat, running, hiking, hunting.

Stone C. Killer
08-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Ended up picking up a suunto core. Liked the look, functions and feel of it. Didn't want to get a watch that you charge as are most of the gps watches. Under normal use the manual says the battery is good for a year. Thanks for all the input!