PDA

View Full Version : Do your Guns Shoot Better Dirty or Clean??

HarryToolips
07-27-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but anyway...I am finding with my Rem. 700 .30-06 that I can get about 8-10 shots out of it without running a patch through then, every shot after that will be fliers..so I run a dry patch through, no oil or anything, and I'm back to shootin good consistent groupings again..when I'm home if the gun has been exposed to any moisture, or if I'm putting it away in the gun-safe for awhile, I'll run an oil patch through..now, according to many on this site plus from what I've watched on you tube, I rarely use any hard-core solvents or anything, as I have been told that doing so will strip the gun-barrel of alot of 'that good carbon buildup'...what do you folks find works for your guns?? And do your guns produce the same 'flier' inconsistent shots after a certain amount of shots without swabbing the barrel?

mikeboehm
07-27-2014, 10:10 PM
I use wipe out. No problems for me. But I shoot a lot of lead free bullets

r106
07-27-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but anyway...I am finding with my Rem. 700 .30-06 that I can get about 8-10 shots out of it without running a patch through then, every shot after that will be fliers..so I run a dry patch through, no oil or anything, and I'm back to shootin good consistent groupings again..when I'm home if the gun has been exposed to any moisture, or if I'm putting it away in the gun-safe for awhile, I'll run an oil patch through..now, according to many on this site plus from what I've watched on you tube, I rarely use any hard-core solvents or anything, as I have been told that doing so will strip the gun-barrel of alot of 'that good carbon buildup'...what do you folks find works for your guns?? And do your guns produce the same 'flier' inconsistent shots after a certain amount of shots without swabbing the barrel?

My M70 likes a clean barrel. My 700 and savage M12 seem to like it dirty. The savage is my target rifle and I'll shoot a couple hundred rounds before the groups will start opening up

REMINGTON JIM
07-27-2014, 10:59 PM
I use wipe out. No problems for me. But I shoot a lot of lead free bullets

But Mike the lead is on the inside of the bullet not the outside ! Copper is on the outside of BOTH ! :wink: LOL RJ

dime acres
07-27-2014, 11:22 PM
I always bring the cleaning kit to the range. When I am done shooting, I clean with solvents and then oil the barrel. Once I have oiled the barrel, I take one more shot and place tape over the muzzel and close the bolt.

HarryToolips
07-28-2014, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys....

Steeleco
07-28-2014, 07:44 AM
My .06 has no issues till around 30 rounds down the pipe, my 444 maybe 8. My 10-22 won't shoot good again till 50 rounds after a good cleaning. They're all different.

Rackmastr
07-28-2014, 09:10 AM
I'd have to clean mine more than once a year to really answer that with certainty hahah....

Mine seems to like rollin' dirty

batman66
07-28-2014, 11:18 AM
My old BSA 3006 loves to be dirty, the first shot after a thorough cleaning is always a flyer. After that there never seems to be a difference.

bcsteve
07-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Most of my rifles aren't too picky except for my .260 Rem which likes it dirty. Out of a freshly cleaned barrel she will shoot a 3-4" "pattern" until there's 10-12 shots and then she starts stacking them in 1" group. I treated all my popular rifles last winter with Dura Bore Coat, I'm curious to see what effect if any it will have, especially on the .260 Rem.

REMINGTON JIM
07-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Most of my rifles aren't too picky except for my .260 Rem which likes it dirty. Out of a freshly cleaned barrel she will shoot a 3-4" "pattern" until there's 10-12 shots and then she starts stacking them in 1" group. I treated all my popular rifles last winter with Dura Bore Coat, I'm curious to see what effect if any it will have, especially on the .260 Rem.

I bought that Dura Bore Coat too and have yet to try it ! SOON ! i hope RJ

steel_ram
07-28-2014, 04:47 PM
I like my bores seasoned, but not dirty. A light cleaning after every shoot, just so there's no crud for moisture to gather on. Aggressively stripping a barrel down to the bare steel can be hard on a barrel if you don't do it right, and then you have to put several rounds through it to get it shooting well again.

greybark
07-28-2014, 05:25 PM
Around 1962 as a Corporal in the CAF my annual rifle scores got me transferred to the PPCLI Bisley Team . There were two 14 man teams each with four Wpn Tech`s . The Wpn Techs would clean and tune after each practice session and only after the Final run through the day prior to a major competition would the rifles not be cleaned for the big show ....
Cheers

Pre '64
07-28-2014, 05:44 PM
I have two new Winchester Model 70s. The 30-06 can go 100 rounds without a loss of accuracy but the 270 needs to be cleaned every 20 rounds or so, but it hasn't been shot much yet and it probably won't need as much cleaning after it gets broke in some.

Useyourfeet
07-28-2014, 05:51 PM
300 win mag tikka shoots good cold, hot, clean and dirty.