PDA

View Full Version : Moose around ootsa lake?

dime acres
07-25-2014, 06:02 AM
Just trying to get some plans together for the fall. We have looked at the Ootsa lake area. Does anyone have anything that they would like to share about the area and the moose population?

Stone Sheep Steve
07-25-2014, 07:04 AM
Some guys i know have gone there for years but in the last few yesrs the moose population has taken a serious downturn. But the wolf population is very healthy.
They are now saving their gas money.

SSS

Amphibious
07-25-2014, 08:45 AM
10yrs ago it was a great spot. haven't been in years, but there is a rather large fire burning in the area.

http://bcwildfire.com/hprScripts/WildfireNews/OneFire.asp?ID=497

chinooker
07-25-2014, 07:24 PM
I have a leh for the other side of ootsa. I hunt over there every year. Last year spent 2 weeks and came home empty handed nothing but wolf sign. Close to home and I like the area is the only reason I'm going back this year.

Darksith
07-25-2014, 09:23 PM
I have a leh for the other side of ootsa. I hunt over there every year. Last year spent 2 weeks and came home empty handed nothing but wolf sign. Close to home and I like the area is the only reason I'm going back this year.
whos this...ever work at east ootsa camp?

chinooker
07-25-2014, 10:18 PM
whos this...ever work at east ootsa camp?

No never worked over there I know a few guys that did though. Started hunting over there when I first came to fraser lake 5 years ago. Got 6-2 b as my second choice a few years ago and posted on here for info. You gave me a pm that paid off with my biggest bull ever!

Darksith
07-25-2014, 11:10 PM
No never worked over there I know a few guys that did though. Started hunting over there when I first came to fraser lake 5 years ago. Got 6-2 b as my second choice a few years ago and posted on here for info. You gave me a pm that paid off with my biggest bull ever!
Thats awesome, glad I could help...shouldn't I have at least gotten a pic ;)

chinooker
07-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Thats awesome, glad I could help...shouldn't I have at least gotten a pic ;)
Yes , definately and a thank you as well.
I have no excuse so I will just say sorry! Dude

ultramafic
07-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Cant really help with the moose in the area ( we got skunked the only time we went ) but bring a fishing rod and a boat if you can cause there are lotsa trout and some lunker rainbows in that lake.

mike

Just trying to get some plans together for the fall. We have looked at the Ootsa lake area. Does anyone have anything that they would like to share about the area and the moose population?

decker9
07-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Spent a few years working at east ootsa , if you go that way pm me, I'll point you towards moose. Cheers

Green Gaint
10-03-2015, 09:06 PM
Is the wolf population still high up there? Planning on heading up there for moose in a few weeks. First time up that way any advice?

tinhorse
10-03-2015, 09:14 PM
Was at Jim smith point doing some layout last summer. There 3 weeks in total. Saw 1 deer. Lots of grouse and rabbits though. Some moose poop to but not much. Did see several wolves as well.....

Green Gaint
10-03-2015, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the info tinhorse. Did u access that area by boat or plane?

dougkran
06-09-2022, 04:29 PM
Bump
Any recent intel on this area?

Jrax
06-11-2022, 08:06 AM
There has been some wolf cullls in recent years, it appears to be less wolf sign and more moose sign from working in the area in the last 10 years in general. There is also some burns from about 3-4 years ago that should be helping the moose

Gr8 white hunter
06-11-2022, 09:14 AM
I know a group of guy's they go every year and get there moose. They have gone for the opening aswell and are successful.

hawk-i
06-11-2022, 09:48 AM
Lots of burnt areas and lots of wolf sign.

decker9
06-11-2022, 10:18 AM
I haven’t been over there in a number of years now, but I do know the wolf cull the past couple has helped a lot. Last winter they were targeting 100 wolves, and ended up with 70’some, they made headway I believe.

MattW
06-15-2022, 09:22 AM
I get up into that area pretty much annually to either hunt or fish. There have been quite a few fires in recent years, though some of those fires should start looking pretty green again this year. Not trees mind you but low scrub and grasses, which should be a good thing for moose. Lots of wolves, lots of bears but we do see moose for sure, all around Ootsa, Eutsuk, Tetachuk, Whitesail. If you have a boat it will open up lots of options for you in that area. If you're willing to charter Lakes District Air, Nick can put you at a lot of beauty little moose lakes in that region that you'll likely have all to yourself.