PDA

View Full Version : Multinight Backpacking Trip

Moe.JKU
07-23-2014, 11:13 PM
So i figured since its getting closer to time and finally got all my gear purchased to start doing multinight back packing trips, i would head out for a weekend and scout out my area for more than a day trip. However since i have never done this i am asking for some tips, advice, handy things that are overlooked, etc?

Seems my gear list is on my other comp, I can post this up in the morning if that would help.

Thanks in advance.

adriaticum
07-23-2014, 11:23 PM
Axe is gold. Plan every meal. You won't be able to catch any food at this time of the year. Bring something to boil/store water in and a pot to cook. Tarp, hammock or small tent. Or if you want to be really adventurous you can build lean to shelter.
I was planning to do the same this weekend but now find myself in a bit of a pickle. Had a car accident tonight and have to solve my car situation first.

Moe.JKU
07-24-2014, 07:56 AM
Thanks for you help, hopefully everything gets worked out for you.
I have a stove, some mountain house, granola, oatmeal and jerky, and bars for food so that shouldn't be an issue.
Here are some of the things i am bringing to give you an idea:
Backpack, tent, sleeping bag, pad, stove, fuel, binos, gps, knives, extra clothes, boots, fly rod, fly box, paracord, cup, tp, headlamp, batteries.

andrewscag
07-24-2014, 08:27 AM
If you can borrow or buy a water filter you'll have an easier time of it than having to boil water

Wentrot
07-24-2014, 08:28 AM
A small first aid kit is something I would add to the list.

allan
07-24-2014, 08:31 AM
This is my list I use for packing
6 days backpacking hunt
Backpack
-license and tags
-Bow, release, 5 ready to shoot arrows
-string wax
-windicator
-Allen keys for bow
-range finder
-binos
--spotting scope
- tripod?
-hiking boots
-crocs ********************************
-4 pairs of socks
-2pairs underwear
-rain pants
-rain jacket
-Sitka t shirt
-long leave shirt
-traverse shirt
-jet stream jacket
-puffy down jacket
-timberline pants
-merino long johns
-ice breaker Marino shirt
-hat
-beanie
-glovesx2
-flashlight fenix
-headlamp
-gps
-delorme
-phone
-spare aa batteries x6
-havalon knife
-bears spray
-topo maps
-compass
-insect repellant

FIRST AID KIT
Band aids
Tylonal
Gauze
Sutures
Sunscreen
Chapstick *************Water blister treatment
Tape
Crazy glue
dental floss
-pee bottle ( 1 lt Gatorade )
-sunglasses
-toothbrush
-toothpaste
-toilet paper in ziplock bag
-fire starting aid
-lighter
-jetboil
-2 small jetboil fuel cans
-wide mouth water bottle
-water bladder
-water filter
-spork (plastic)
-2 large orange plastic bags
-salt for cape
-game bags
-sleeping bag
-tent
-MSR e-wing
-thermorest and plastic garbage bag
-hiking poles
FOOD
6x mountain house dinners
6x breakfast, mountain house
12x cliff bars
Trail mix
Salt and pepper
Coffee packets Starbucks Via
Gatorade powder
Hot chocolate
backpack
- small roll of para cord
- small soap
-small pack of wipes
-small cloth/towel
-small foam square to sit on while glassing and at night ****************
-small compression bag for food
-small compression bag for clothes

stevo911_
07-24-2014, 08:47 AM
Allan - Any idea what that stuff packed weighs?

Moe.JKU
07-24-2014, 09:21 AM
Thats a good list, i will have to compate that to my list.

Andrew- I have a Katadyn micro water filter, fogot to add that to the list.

And yes i will have to add a little first aid kit. something i overlooked.

Thanks.

allan
07-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Allan - Any idea what that stuff packed weighs?
Around 65 lbs, no water. With a mystery ranch nice 6500. Not sure if my boots were on that.

Ron.C
07-24-2014, 09:45 AM
I've only backpac hunted fro about 4 years, so I'm not what I would consider seasoned. This is my pack for a late sept early Oct trip. My last two years have seen consderable items such as excessive clothing/needless nice to have gear removed. Note: my clothing is generally purchased from hiking stores and is not hunting specific but works great. I am starting to upgrade some items, but this is not a "high end" gear list. When solo hunting, I only used my tect fly and groundsheet. Makes for a lightweigh dry shelter that i have been very comfortable in during past hunts.

Packframe/bag
North Face Cats Meow Sleeping Bag – 2.5lbs "Decent bag for the price if your on a budget, but there are much better out there"
Thermarest Prolite Sleeping Pad - 3/4lb "awesome piece of kit"
Tent Fly/Gnd Sheet "2.9 lbs"
MSR pocket Rocket Stove – 4 oz
Stove Fuel – “two small fuel cans”
Titanium Cookpot – 4 oz
Coffee cup
Pack Alarm – 14 oz
3L bladder/drinking tube
Spare 1L bag
Water purification tablets

Hanwag Boots"still new, only about 25km on them but by all regards awesome piece of kit"
Kuhl pants "fairly new, compareable in design/material to some sitka products, but much less expensive"
two pr socks/underwear
long johns
gaiters
Outdoor Research LS shirt, LS Merino Shirt
Green Columbia Fleece sweater
RAB Puffy jacket "awesome piece of kit"
Sitka rain Jacket "New item, haven't tested it yet, did use a HH Impertech jacket prior to this"
HH Impertech Rain pants"awesome piece of kit"
Fleece toque/gloves
Ball hat

1 Alaskan Game bag "easily fit a boned out deer/bear in one bag"
Fallkniven F1 Knife"awesome piece of kit"
50’ paracord
Pack alarm"awesome piece of kit"

2 Roll of TP “in ziplock”
Plastic spork
Bear spray

Hiking Poles
Bino’s
Spot Scope + tripod “ depending on what I’m hunting”
Camera
Rangefinder
Petzel headlamp
mini streamlight
3 spare AAA Bats
Gps/Map/Compass “may not take GPS on some hunts”
Spot satellite messenger"awesome piece of kit"
5 baby wipes
Small Toothbrush/paste
mini first aid
Very Small bit of unscented soap
game calls “depending on what I’m hunting”

Food – 23 oz/day “MH Propac meal, Cliff bars, instant oat meal, Snickers, Coffee”

Gun/ 10 rnds of ammo

Moe.JKU
07-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Ok well here is my gear list:
Camp Trails Elk Tracker Pack
Eureka Midori 2p
Hotcore T200 0deg bag
Eureka DC Lite Pad
Jetboil Zip/ 1 fuel can
Katadyn Micro Wate Filter
Bushnell Elite 10x42
Rangefinder
Extrex 10 gps
Buck Knife
Havalon
rockey Pants jacket
Rockey under jacket
Stormteck rain pants/jacket
Merino shirt/pants/ lonsleeve
underwear/ socks
Elk traker Boots
Mountain house for each day
Jerky
Bars
Oatmeal
Trailmix
Fly rod/reel/fly box (Scouting trips only)
30ft paracord
TP
Headlamp
Batteries
Camera
Small first aid kit

Savage Weather Warrior 30-06
10x 180gr Accubonds

Wentrot
07-24-2014, 10:56 AM
I always keep duct tape in my backpack(not a full roll lol), might be something to consider also. Helpful in many situations. I don't do the hard core backpacking trips like you guys though so that may be blasphemy.

ducktoller
07-24-2014, 09:51 PM
When I read that first long list I read flashlight as fleshlight

batman66
07-25-2014, 06:16 AM
I'd suggest a first aid / survival kit, something small and light that always stays in your pack. Put nail clippers in it. I also would suggest a small piece of poly or a siltarp if you got some money to burn.

Moe.JKU
07-25-2014, 09:57 AM
Thanks for all the help. Ive added the SOL Steelhead kit. Nice and light and watertight. All ready to go, leaving work in a few hours, should be a good test to see how i prepared and what i do and dont need come hunting season.

Wentrot
07-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the help. Ive added the SOL Steelhead kit. Nice and light and watertight. All ready to go, leaving work in a few hours, should be a good test to see how i prepared and what i do and dont need come hunting season.

Good luck, report back with many photos!

Banjo
07-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Moleskin is nice for the blisters. If you plan on having fires then a folding saw like a Silky or a small axe will make processing firewood alot easier. Not sure about most others but ive drank freely from mountain streams and rivers my entire life and never got sick so if you will be in mountains with streams you could consider skipping the filtration/boiling

CLoverdale
08-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Don't underestimate the first aid kit. Tylenol 3 tablets are great for pain relief to get you out of somewhere in order to get help. You can usually find someone that has some extra in their medicine chest.
Thermarest "Neoair" absolutely can't be beat for a sleeping pad.
Water shoes from Walmart are only a couple of bucks and make fording streams a whole lot easier. also great to get your boots off in camp after a day of hard hiking.
40 lbs plus hunting gear is a realistic weight for 4 or 5 days.

HarryToolips
08-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Moe - can I suggest adding a hatchet and compass to that list?? Other than that looks great..

Moe.JKU
08-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Well i forgot to get back to this thread. I didnt find the hatchet to be handy as there is a fire ban.. I will be packing it on later hunts when the ban is lifted. I have gone through some other things lately as i found i didn't use half the stuff i brought. So for a simple 2/3 night stay i can go way lighter. I think i would have been good for liek 8 days with the amount of stuff i brought.

I will be adding some trekking poles as i found they would have come in handy a bunch while walking with a heavy bag. Then will be getting a better mattress. But to get by the one i have will do for this season.
Thanks for all your advice, looks like i might be in the world of always changing things, trying new stuff etc.