PDA

View Full Version : Moose 5-12A Nov 1-15

enron
07-23-2014, 08:21 PM
My brother and I were lucky enough to get drawn for moose in region 5-12a for Nov 1-15. Both of us have only a few years hunting experience and are super excited for this fall. Neither of us have spent any time in the area. We both live on VI and have very limited time to get up there. I will be heading close to the area with work around the beginning of Sept and hope to get some time in for scouting.

I have read all the threads about the area not that there are very many, and still have a few questions. Where should we stay? we have the possibility of picking up a trailer from a friend in Williams lake and take it in if we have somewhere to camp. We thought of renting a cabin near Puntzi lake but are not sold on the idea. What should we be expecting for weather? I have looked in to average temperatures for the time but first hand knowledge is a lot more reliable. Will we need chains for the truck? etc. I have heard from a family friend that had hunted there in the past that there is a lot of hunting pressure from the locals. We have no issues with hiking and getting off the beaten trail is there areas we should be concentrating our efforts on more than others? Such as swamps, willows, or should be heading in to the thick timber trying to track them hopefully in the snow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. feel free to shoot me or my brother (antwonmh) an PM.

Thanks guys

sarg
07-23-2014, 10:46 PM
call woodland caribou resort " http://www.woodlandcaribouresort.ca/ " there on Puntzi lake , cheap camping site and dan and jan will give you as many tips as they can to find you a moose, let them know dave sent you there way :)

enron
07-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the info and PMs

enron
08-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Couple more questions.

Is there really a problem with people messing with your camps or vehicles in this area? Should we consider getting a place instead of a tent or trailer? Any help would be great.

Antwonmh
09-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Bump for some more information. Has anyone been out that way this year? Places to avoid or good spots to set up camp? Any info is appreciated!

RobTurbo
09-21-2014, 10:31 PM
Not much help yet but the wife and I are headed up there for the Oct 15-30 bull draw. We'll be staying at woodland caribou campground as suggested by other members here. PM me towards the end of Oct and I'll try to fill you in as much as possible. May not be much help though as its my first time to that area and first time hunting in BC (Alberta Whitetail/Mullie so far).

Best of luck,
Rob

markomoose
09-22-2014, 12:05 AM
Hi Antwonmh & enron Let me know where you are staying as I have a bull draw across the highway in 5-05 Nov1-15.Maybe get together for a beer and some B.S.?I'm considering staying at Woodland campground as well.That way there is no concern for your equipment/gear.A good decision in that neck of the woods as the locals can be restless.

srupp
09-22-2014, 12:18 AM
Hmmm nov can bring significant snow at times..who can predict the weather
Rvs are not a good choice for nov hunts..imo I wouldnt use mine
Dont borrow one..this is an area with far diiferent rules for behavior..much worse
The resort idea is brilliant..do that and relax
The rut is over bulls are now resting and eating..they do not travel very far in a day not far at all
Snow and hence tracks will be your friend
Look for red willow...grub
The tracks will lead straight back to bedding...a bit higher ground...dryer..bedding just along or inside the treed areas..usually at a point...
The bulls can be found at first light along the tree line getting the first sun...
Depending on the amount and quality of the food this can take some time..look for areas they can eat undesturbed.
The bedding to food distance is short...you can bavktrack or track a moose fairly easy..do this from one side of the track dont walk in his tracks.
Take good gear.
Have fun
Cheers
Steven

markomoose
09-22-2014, 12:22 AM
Hmmm nov can bring significant snow at times..who can predict the weather
Rvs are not a good choice for nov hunts..imo I wouldnt use mine
Dont borrow one..this is an area with far diiferent rules for behavior..much worse
The resort idea is brilliant..do that and relax
The rut is over bulls are now resting and eating..they do not travel very far in a day not far at all
Snow and hence tracks will be your friend
Look for red willow...grub
The tracks will lead straight back to bedding...a bit higher ground...dryer..bedding just along or inside the treed areas..usually at a point...
The bulls can be found at first light along the tree line getting the first sun...
Depending on the amount and quality of the food this can take some time..look for areas they can eat undesturbed.
The bedding to food distance is short...you can bavktrack or track a moose fairly easy..do this from one side of the track dont walk in his tracks.
Take good gear.
Have fun
Cheers
Steven
All good advice from Mr Rupp!