PDA

View Full Version : What Halibut Line are you a fan of?

Salty
07-23-2014, 07:27 PM
I've always got by with old school 80# Tuff line braid its time to re-spool the old Penn. I see there's quite a dazzling array of bottom fishing braid these days be interested in opinions on this. Also weight I'm thinking of going down a bit to beat the currents better maybe 65 pound?? I see internet chatter that some figure that's lots and of course some that don't. Let's hear your thoughts

two-feet
07-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Tuff line works for me, i like 100lb

Sitkaspruce
07-23-2014, 09:28 PM
You actually get out fishing????:wink:

Tuff XP in 80 lbs neon yellow, have never had a complaint and with all those fish I haul up with it, never lost one.

Lots out there, but I stuck with Tuff XP.

Been out the open water yet??

Cheers

SS

07-23-2014, 10:53 PM
I use 110 Tuff Line and for my Hali - Sturgeon reels, I fish them both and find we have landed every thing we ever thought put a test to it.

longstonec
07-23-2014, 11:45 PM
I put tuff line on all our rods up here in Rivers Inlet. The yellow 100lb stuff.

have about 16 rods on the go at any given time and Its only drawback is that it is very sensitive to abrasion. rubbing on stuff with kind of "fluff" the line a little bit and it can break with very little weight. I have had it let go with just the gear on more then once. I do fish pretty rocky nasty bottoms though.

I see no reel reason to use 100lb test. More for the clients i guess. You would be fine with something in the 50+ range I imagine. besides 100lb is a pain if you get hung up on the bottom!

.264winmag
07-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Switched to 80# power pro on Hali reels, has better abrasion resistance than tuff line. Has a waxy coating... Also run 50# on islanders for salmon, splice 40ft of mono onto end with Albright knot for downrigger clip use. Had the 200# on downriggers for 5 years now with no issues

Salty
07-24-2014, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys I'll look in to the new age Tuff line I've heard good things about Power Pro too. Probably between those two

You actually get out fishing????:wink:

Tuff XP in 80 lbs neon yellow, have never had a complaint and with all those fish I haul up with it, never lost one.

Lots out there, but I stuck with Tuff XP.

Been out the open water yet??

Cheers

SS

Nope not the big briny lately but messing around in the sound with my little ob skiff. The bigger boat is still looking at me wondering when TF I'm going to come up with some money and give it the last bit of love it needs to finally get it going. :roll: This DIY gene is a curse I tell ya. lol

srupp
07-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Power pro..both hali and sturgon...

Steven

fowl language
07-25-2014, 04:40 PM
about ten miles of long line should secure your limit. in fast water set the hooks about 9 feet apart....fowl

two-feet
07-25-2014, 06:34 PM
Ha i need a new reel because i hooked a porpoise this spring and it smoked my reel so bad it ruined the drag! Sorry no pics, it was on and running, damn near spooled me and i managed to break it off all in under a minute. Exciting while it lasted.

Salty
07-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Well I looked at the Tuff line xp big improvement over the old Dacron which I ended up with a pile of a few yrs back. And looked at the Power Pro, I liked the feel of it and how it handled the 80lb seemed plenty thin enough. .. remembered back to this thread and reports of better abrasion resistance. Its rocky around here, the PP was a little cheaper so the deal was done I bought 80 lb test PP. Thanks for chiming in guys appreciate the feed back