PDA

View Full Version : Another Region 4 guide-outfitter quota appeal

GoatGuy
07-23-2014, 01:50 PM
http://www.eab.gov.bc.ca/wildlife/2013wil024a.pdf

Cutts vs Regional Manager

"The Appellant seeks an order from the Board increasing his quotas and five-year allocations for bighorn sheep and grizzly bear. "

"This appeal is one of 28 appeals filed by guide outfitters in three different regions against their 2013-2014 quota and five
-year allocations. The appeals were all conducted by way of written submissions, and are the subject of separate

decisions. However, the Panel notes that the issues and arguments in each of the appeals have many similarities. For each of the appeals, some of the submissions from the parties are identical. In those appeals where there are similarities, the Panel has adopted some of the findings and language that has been used by this Panel in the reasons given in those other appeals. For example, see Findlay v. Deputy Regional Manager, Recreational Fisheries and Wildlife Program

(Thompson/Okanagan Region), (Decision No. 2013-WIL-033(a), April 24, 2014). In spite of any similarities, each appeal is and has been adjudicated on its own merit."

"[71]

In relation to the Appellant’s appeal, the BCWF notes that the guide outfitters’ share of the bighorn sheep and grizzly bear harvest in the Kootenay Region actually increased this allocation period when compared with

the 2007-2011 period. It states that the resident/non-resident split for bighorn sheep rams in the

2012-2016 allocation period is 68/32, a 2% increase for the guides over the

previous period. For grizzly bear, the resident/non-resident split is 74/26, a 3%

increase for guide outfitters from the previous allocation period."

"
Unfair division between residents and non-residents (guided hunters)

[87] In his written submissions, the Appellant further submits that the guide

outfitters have been unfairly singled out. He argues that the animals should be divided fairly between resident

hunters and guide outfitters."

"[89]

Based on the evidence and submissions before the Panel, the Panel finds thatthe Regional Manager calculated the Appellant’s 2013-2016 allocations and 2013-2014 quotas for bighorn sheep and grizzly bear on the basis of the information

before him. He applied the policies and procedures relevant to the situation (e.g.,substantial impact) where appropriate, and there is no basis to increase the Appellant’s quotas and allocations as requested."

Dismissed.

Argali
07-23-2014, 01:59 PM
He considers a 68/32 split on sheep and 74/26 split on grizzly unfair?
In an area with extremely heavy resident hunting demand?

I am suprised he got that much. I wonder what he thought was fair????

Steeleco
07-23-2014, 02:01 PM
With the limited funds available in all sectors of government theses day's there has to be some form of deterrent to anyone who ties up the systems with these frivolous claims.
This is not the first one, i doubt it will be the last.

Ry151
07-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Never had an issue with outfitters in the past but reading these articles and their point of views is starting to lead me down the trail with the majority of residents on what I think of outfitters

Bugle M In
07-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Ya, not quite right, residents still losing out.
Seems like more and more as each year goes by.
But correct me if I am wrong, it's residents that pay the major amount of the total fees accumulated that support hunting in BC....correct??
Yet less money for CO's and less opportunities for residents....awesome stuff going on for sure!

Hunting guy
07-23-2014, 04:31 PM
He considers a 68/32 split on sheep and 74/26 split on grizzly unfair?
In an area with extremely heavy resident hunting demand?

I am suprised he got that much. I wonder what he thought was fair????

He got zero on the grizzly bear "split" did he not?

GoatGuy
07-24-2014, 12:27 AM
He got zero on the grizzly bear "split" did he not?

I guess we could go back to the "Kootenay model", create a few imaginary grizzly bears, give the outfitters in the Flathead 50+% and then close the season after bears are over-harvested.

Seems reasonable.

Hunting guy
07-24-2014, 06:08 AM
Just pointing out why he might find the split unfair... Zero % of 26%. I think most people would at least ask for a review of that quota decision.

Fisher-Dude
07-24-2014, 06:22 AM
With the limited funds available in all sectors of government theses day's there has to be some form of deterrent to anyone who ties up the systems with these frivolous claims.
This is not the first one, i doubt it will be the last.

When the GOABC, individual GOs, and regional factions of GOABC contribute lots of money to both the Liberals and the NDP, do you think there will be any pushback against these appeals by politicians? I don't.

It's near sickening to see the fart-catching executive of GOABC on Minister Thomson's Facebook page "liking" every single post. Bag-licking pays off, I guess.

As GG says, resident hunters are way too disconnected politically. We're at the starting line while the GOABC is already playing the game.

boxhitch
07-24-2014, 08:35 AM
For grizzly bear, the resident/non-resident split is 74/26more than amicable

Just pointing out why he might find the split unfair... Zero % of 26%.
Don't confuse the two different issues. If the AAH is such that he doesn't get a G Bear , that only means there aren't many bears in that area ,

GoatGuy
07-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Hunting guy,

It's 26% of 0, not 0% of 26%. It's hard to share a grizzly bear three ways.

It's probably in everybody's interest to know that the Flathead is the longest standing grizzly bear research project in BC, and is lead by one of the best bear biologists in the world.