PDA

View Full Version : hunting by bicycle?

blindcast
07-22-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm looking for somebody who has done a fair bit of upland hunting using a mountain bike. Anybody?

two-feet
07-22-2014, 02:14 PM
I really like hunting with a bike, have hunted bear and moose that way. Good way to cover ground quietly.

Good2bCanadian
07-22-2014, 03:07 PM
We had one of those Chariot brand strollers/bicycle trailers with the big wheels.
I always thought that would be the perfect unit to tow out smaller game with.

270ruger
07-22-2014, 04:04 PM
My preferred mode of transport for hunting

Singleshotneeded
07-22-2014, 04:12 PM
I've been thinking of one of those mountain bikes with an electric motor assist...not that I'm lazy but when climbing a steep grade your heart beats fast and with my luck I'd come across a nice buck right about then(rapid heart rate isn't good for shooting). You dial up the % of assist you want depending on how steep the grade, and switch it to zero going down. A nice quiet way to cover a good amount of territory, vewy vewy quietly... You can charge the battery with a genny during the early afternoon, or carry a back-up...the new lithiums give you a good range.

MichelD
07-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Did you mean upland bird hunting? I haven't used my bike specifically for upland birds and to be honest when big game hunting by bike I haven't encountered many grouse with it either.

Using the bicycle I have been successful with one deer and one moose. I spooked a nice 2-poin tonce too, coming around a corner and surprising him on the road. He was gone before i could load. I've used it with a trailer too, to cycle into a road-closed to motor vehicles area and camped out for several nights and then hunted from my campsite on foot or bicycle. That trip was not fruitful, but it was a nice trip, except for encounters with motorized hunters ignoring the rules. But that didn't matter anyway, the active game trails and the cow moose I encountered were well away from the road.

Ourea
07-22-2014, 04:50 PM
The beast to which Singleshotneeded refers.

This is a road closure dream due to the power assist Bosch lithium battery system.
It is not recognized under the Motor Vehicle act as the bike cannot propel itself...you have to pedal for the power assist to engage as SSN stated.

I have been fortunate enough to be demo'ing this bike that was sent to me from a old business colleague who is now involved at the Sr management of this brand based out of Germany.
It is a premium quality product.
It literally makes you feel super human when you can blast up steep grades at 20 kmh that you would normally grind out in first gear on a static bike.

I checked some trail cams last month using the Cube Ebike as my mode of transportation.
It was a 52km round trip with an elevation gain of 3300 feet from my door.
I did this trip once on my regular mnt bike and it was a grind to say the least, all day affair.
On the Cube I did the trip in 3&1/2 hrs and felt like superman.

A Canadian distributor is now in place out of Toronto and the Cube brand will now be available in Canada next spring through select dealers.
Pretty amazing product.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/530401-stereohybrid120pro29_light_zps5e9e5a65.jpg

Pick I took of the bike on the trail cam trip.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/ebike_zpsf9c438c2.jpg

leadpillproductions
07-22-2014, 05:00 PM
Now that's the cats ass wonder how much retail will be

Ourea
07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Now that's the cats ass wonder how much retail will be

This model is aprox 4k.
It is spec'd quite high including carbon wheels.

Cube is working on down spec'ing some of their bikes that incorporate the Bosch technology to hit lower and more affordable pricepoints for the North American market. This will be a few seasons away however.

If anyone is considering an Ebike for backcountry access I strongly stress that one looks to a Bosch propelled product.
Bosch warranty depots are being setup currently to service the North American bike market.
Having a product that has strong and efficient warranty support is key.
Again, amazing to ride and is a thrill.

Bugle M In
07-22-2014, 05:58 PM
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/BugleMIn67/2009035copy.jpg

keoke
07-22-2014, 06:02 PM
The one and only time I used a mountain bike the fsr I was on was freshly graded with new gravel. The gravel was not compact and a biatch to try to pedal through lol, I would like to give it another go this season.

leadpillproductions
07-22-2014, 06:04 PM
There is a couple spots up north a guy could really use those bikes

Ourea
07-22-2014, 06:24 PM
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/BugleMIn67/2009035copy.jpg

Good as it gets there!!
A pic like that needs no words or narrative.

Goes to show that age is not a barrier if one has the attitude, fortitude and support network to keep pushing the boundaries.

What an epic and wonderful photo, love it.

I was immediately drawn to what appears to be an original Trapper Nelson pack sported by dad ( I assume it's dad )
Awesome.

Tip of the hat to you Bugle M In .... to the others in the photo ......and the picture taker.
Thanks for the post..... awesome.

Wentrot
07-22-2014, 06:46 PM
That is a very awesome picture. Probably a good story with it.

Bugle M In
07-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the reply post Ourea, Dad was 72 in the photo ( he 75 now and still goes on bike!), photo was on a timer, so only the 3 of us.
Have been hunting that area for 30 years using bikes.
Originally, we road in on 10 speeds, with rifles on back...ouch!
Thank god for these new mountain bikes and those hard scabbards, uncle mikes if memory serves me correct? ... not sure if they make them anymore?
but they work, just pack along extra shoe strings, or use a ruffed out plywood sheet to mount rifles.
trapper nelson works for sure...but I like those wilderness wanderers for packing out meat.
Amazing how silent you can travel...scarred many on foot when you wiz by, as they never her u coming...guess I should put on a bell to ring?? or not!:mrgreen:

Bugle M In
07-22-2014, 07:00 PM
That is a very awesome picture. Probably a good story with it.

I think I posted the story way back when??? in somewhere between another's thread.
Took that bull at 25 yrds at high noon in 30+c weather, after missing out on another bull at first light.
Could have taken another bull on the last night ( broadside an all at 100 yrds ) but passed on him as it would have been another pack out,
and we were planning to leave the next morning...had he been closer to camp...it might have been different.
Couldn't believe this bull came all the way in, and in that heat at that time of day...maybe the other bull which we could have taken ( not more than 600 yrds from this bull ),
may of had an influence on this bull...my thought anyways....
Always fun to have success, but Having Dad all these years is the best thing.....I will never have a greater hunting partner, nor better friend!

blindcast
07-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded, all the advice and insights. Thanks especially to "Bugle M In". That picture and your story was awesome! Have never seen bike hunting expressed so completely and stunningly. You've got half a dozen backstories all caught in that one snap of the shutter. Hope you're still getting out there with your Dad and will continue to do so for years to come. Thanks for sharing.

Bugle M In
07-23-2014, 12:25 PM
thank you guys...I appreciate the comments.
Elk hunting in the E.K's on mountain bike for the last 30 years has always felt like a great sense of accomplishment for me and my Dad.
We enjoy Elk hunting thoroughly, in a great part of BC, with unmatched scenery anywhere!
We always hunted the same area, regardless of success or at times lack of...meaning high's and low's...but as each seasons rolls around, there is no doubt where we will return.
Mountain Bikes have always been the icon for us when Elk season comes around, don't need to feed them, nor saddle them up, nor worry they will crush you.
The exercise is great, but I would be lying if I didn't admit that every morning during the long trek up, I wish it was electric for sure...or yes, even a Quad.
The best part, usually you have an area all to your own, and if by chance you end up not be the only party up there, well, at least you share the area with others that share the same passion
as yourself....all good!
Dad is still kicking, still ready to go ( and will! ), but it seems to be me that is having the hard issues of late health wise, and am not sure how much longer I can...??
But if Dad's going...I will be there, as he has for me all these years.
So, a salute to all Dad's who have spent their time, to share their passion of the outdoors onto us, and for all the memories past and present and still to come....thank you!.

Bugle M In
07-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Here is a Bull Dad took the year after the previous photo with the bikes.
Dad is smiling!, but what is not known, he had just fallen into the river we had to cross just minutes before.
Soaked all the way to his skippies!!!....but hey, that's hunting!

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/BugleMIn67/122.jpg

JIL_24/7
07-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Just thought I'd throw this into the discussion:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/bid/4534760980.html

Thoughts?

Bugle M In
07-23-2014, 01:33 PM
wonder how long they take to recharge??
hopefully one has a quiet generator for around camp!
don't know if solar panel for charging it is strong enough ??
Remember though, still considered motorized, wont help in road closures, but anywhere outside of that, would definitely be a big bonus.
Extra weight might be a problem though...when the battery runs out.

I remember seeing an Electric dirt bike on tv, wonder if there are any thoughts of it in real production.??

Can you just see it...some day down the road, electric dirt bikes and ATV's......Totally Silent!!!
And then a day when SUV, trucks are electric!!

technology and the changes that will come with it.

geoskier
07-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Gonna be helping my buddy fill his Howe Sound Elk tag on my bike this fall. Also planning a mulie trip to the south Chilcotin in September. I recently biked from Warner Lake to Spruce Lake no problem in a day with about 10lbs less than I would have on a mulie hunt. So it is definitely a great way to get around.

JIL_24/7
07-23-2014, 02:15 PM
This thread has me pretty excited. I have been road-biking the last two years and have been thinking about buying a mountain bike for hunting season. For those of you who have hunted on a bike. What brand of bike or features at the very least would you suggest? Also, how do you carry your rifle and your pack? What kind of tires do you use? Thanks to the op for starting this thread

albravo2
07-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Great thread. I've been thinking of hunting on bike for a while. Use my dirt bike now but not likely to surprise anything that way.

Love the look of that electric bike. I live in Squamish so a $4k price tag for a bike isn't at all shocking. Neighbour just paid over $7k for his bike and he has to pedal the darn thing everywhere.

butcher
07-23-2014, 03:44 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/goat_hunt_001.jpg

2011 goat hunt

butcher
07-23-2014, 03:45 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/goat_hunt_006.jpg

Young man after killing first goat AND riding out in the dark

Bugle M In
07-23-2014, 04:07 PM
This thread has me pretty excited. I have been road-biking the last two years and have been thinking about buying a mountain bike for hunting season. For those of you who have hunted on a bike. What brand of bike or features at the very least would you suggest? Also, how do you carry your rifle and your pack? What kind of tires do you use? Thanks to the op for starting this thread

MEC has a nice line up of new full suspension bikes.
29" tires are the new thing, might be better then the smaller 26".
I use a rear pannier bag system from Axiom that allows to be used on rear suspension bikes..
****NOTE: this type of pannier rack will only work on some type of rear suspension bikes ( the older "Specialized" Suspension)
So be sure before you purchase a bike, that u look into all of that, as buying a bike b4 hand and then finding u cant add the rack could suck.
That rear rack system is great for carrying extra gear, jacket etc. IMO.
Uncle Mikes used to make a cordura type scabboard for rifles that was light weight and stiff enough to mount to bike.( maybe a leather rigid style like on horses?)
How you mount it depends on bike and suspension etc....no aftermarket kit for mountain bikes....and ATV style not really workable IMO.
Nice to get rifle of shoulder for all day treks for sure.

Surrey Boy
07-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Awesome thread, far better than what I've done.

two-feet
07-23-2014, 06:43 PM
I use a shitty old norco with bottom of the line components, shitty tires and poor brakes. But I have a raven feather fastened to the handle bars at a jaunty angle so that makes the bike super fast and quiet. I will certainly be taking it on our leh moose hunt

Bugle M In
07-23-2014, 06:46 PM
Bikes
http://www.mec.ca/product/5035-163/ghost-asx-5500-bicycle-unisex/?h=10+50002+50013+51410&f=10+50002+50013+50089+51410
Rack (careful on what suspensions it will fit on however )
http://www.sportwheels.ca/products/axiom-odyssee-full-suspension-pannier-rack
Light...( awesome....might as well be driving your truck )
http://www.sigmasport.de/en/produkte/beleuchtung/powerlights/powerled_evo/?punkt=features

Scabbard ( uncle mike no longer made...unfortunate as they were dirt cheap )
below might be usable alternatives if not carrying rifle on a backpack.
https://crookedhorn.com/cms_ver_03/store/rifle-accessories/rifle-scabbard-detail.html
http://www.amazon.com/Tough-1-Deluxe-Rifle-Scabbard/dp/B002HORQF4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1XNWJTFM0C5BHN0F4WJ9

lots of good bikes these days, but MEC bikes looked good for the money and what u get IMO.
Not sure if MEC deserves hunter support or not ( they may be somewhat anti hunting in their support, BUT, please do not hold me to that comment,
I just recall a post where that was stated in the past...sorry upfront if I was wrong!)

Still working on a rack frame to mount scabbard to that will Float with front end suspension ( need thicker aluminum tubing, 1st try broke apart after 2 days, but I know it will work! )
U may consider full lockouts on suspension shocks front and rear, as it is nice to pedal uphill with a "hardtail feel", and that nice cushy feel when going down.
I lock out the front as my rifle is strapped there, and until I get that rack figured out.

Like to hear if others have any input!

Singleshotneeded
07-23-2014, 07:14 PM

This is a road closure dream due to the power assist Bosch lithium battery system.
It is not recognized under the Motor Vehicle act as the bike cannot propel itself...you have to pedal for the power assist to engage as SSN stated.

I have been fortunate enough to be demo'ing this bike that was sent to me from a old business colleague who is now involved at the Sr management of this brand based out of Germany.
It literally makes you feel super human when you can blast up steep grades at 20 kmh that you would normally grind out in first gear on a static bike.

I checked some trail cams last month using the Cube Ebike as my mode of transportation.
I did this trip once on my regular mnt bike and it was a grind to say the least, all day affair.

A Canadian distributor is now in place out of Toronto and the Cube brand will now be available in Canada next spring through select dealers.
Pretty amazing product.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/530401-stereohybrid120pro29_light_zps5e9e5a65.jpg

That's the Cadillac all right! Perfect for areas closed to motorized traffic! The "Chevy" version is made in the US and goes for about $1600, but still uses adjustable assist and lithium batteries...there's a dealer in what used to be Whalley, Surrey...

270ruger
07-23-2014, 08:24 PM
I use a soft scabbard from wanstalls and attach it to the pannier mounting system over my back tire of my norco bike,or if I'm using my pack I use the Kifaru gun bearer.

toad
07-23-2014, 08:31 PM
^^^^ I would of thought that would still be classified as motorized but could be wrong.

I hunt off my mountain bike, I ride a devinci wookie with 29" tires makes a huge difference compared to 26's much smoother. I pull a custom built trailer to haul gear in and out, camp is 20 km's in some days i'll do 80km of riding. I use a pack rack "U" shape gun holder on my handle bars. our trailers pack everything from the wall tent, hippie killer and half an elk... its very hard work but the pay is so rewarding. come hell or high water I know where I will be September 10, and that has been a huge obstacle since the floods last year.....but now we are really remote:) respect to all you guys that ride for your elk... those elk taste better

Singleshotneeded
07-23-2014, 11:13 PM
^^^^ I would of thought that would still be classified as motorized but could be wrong.

I hunt off my mountain bike, I ride a devinci wookie with 29" tires makes a huge difference compared to 26's much smoother. I pull a custom built trailer to haul gear in and out, camp is 20 km's in some days i'll do 80km of riding. I use a pack rack "U" shape gun holder on my handle bars. our trailers pack everything from the wall tent, hippie killer and half an elk... its very hard work but the pay is so rewarding. come hell or high water I know where I will be September 10, and that has been a huge obstacle since the floods last year.....but now we are really remote:) respect to all you guys that ride for your elk... those elk taste better

No, because you still have to pedal...bahahaha!

leadpillproductions
07-24-2014, 12:07 AM
Can you post a pic of trailer you pull

avadad
07-26-2014, 01:24 AM
I want one of these with a trailer set up...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_9UKSrfY74

Bugle M In
07-26-2014, 02:41 AM
26" or 29" Tires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLirh0gJrps&list=PL2C095A9A010232F1&index=5

mjplewak
07-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Just a thought on the topic of a rifle of bow carrier, this company " http://www.cogburnoutdoors.com/" makes one that fits to your rack. If you look at the design though, you can tell it isn't hard to make one yourself.

honeyman76
09-25-2015, 08:45 AM
I know that this is now an old post, but has anyone given that Cube a try? Also, somebody mentioned a sore butt? I think the last time that I rode a bike, that was an issue. How do you guys stay comfortable riding a bike all day?

Bugle M In
10-05-2015, 02:30 AM
I know that this is now an old post, but has anyone given that Cube a try? Also, somebody mentioned a sore butt? I think the last time that I rode a bike, that was an issue. How do you guys stay comfortable riding a bike all day?

full suspension bike and a really good gel seat will help a lot!!

honeyman76
10-05-2015, 08:20 AM
I like the idea of getting exercise just not sure if this is a good idea in mountain country.

albravo2
10-05-2015, 08:39 AM
A friend brought an e-bike over yesterday and I was quite impressed. Around here, $4k is considered a mid-range bike so I can foresee a few of these kicking around in the next season or two.

I will probably wait a generation or two before I buy in, but I'm already thinking of places I'd like to hunt with a bike like this.

rollingrock
10-05-2015, 09:31 AM
4K is too much....:wink:

Nowadays everything is made in China. All these e-bikes in the market are made in China and rip-offs. I saw those bikes in Canadian market. The battery bar is too small compared with those ones sold in China. A trip to China landed me two of these bikes. One full charge can give me 80km on mild graded terrain. I won't tell you how much I paid for them, but I can tell you 4K is way too much.

I don't know why I can't quote my photos in my gallery, but you can check them out.

Pretty amazing product.

albravo2
10-05-2015, 09:38 AM
Cool shit ain't cheap and cheap shit ain't cool.

rollingrock
10-05-2015, 09:47 AM
Cool...as long as you're happy.

Cool shit ain't cheap and cheap shit ain't cool.

ryanonthevedder
10-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Those e bikes are actually pretty powerful and are super quiet. You can get kits that will lace into your existing bike wheel. Just get a cheap mnt bike of your liking and install the kit. I think the whole thing can be had for under $500.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DIY-24V-500w-Front-Wheels-Ebike-Electric-Bicycle-Kits-DISC-Brushless-HUB-Motors-/131551791607?hash=item1ea11909f7

Ourea
10-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Rollingrock, good score on ur ebikes.

However, I think it is misleading to say all ebikes are the same and the higher end bikes are a ripoff.
Ur statement flies in the face of premium branded products and how they are designed, manufactured and or sourced....bikes or otherwise.

I was a managing partner in a national sporting goods distribution company distributing numerous reputable brands across a wide distribution channel. I also designed and sourced numerous products that I had manufactured in China for large retail chains for private label.
I call this out so you are aware I have a working knowledge and my comments are somewhat qualified on both sides of the equation.

Now, back to the ebikes......
Yes, there are numerous cheap and cheerful ebikes flooding the north American market.
Are these the same as the higher end premium brand...absolutely not.

In addition to the obvious spec differences for suspension, brakes, gears, frame material, wheels etc, the power source/system is different.
Bosch system that propels cube ebikes is recognized as the market front runner Lithium power assist battery, motor and gears.
It's high end stuff.

Cube has worked with Bosch warranty centers in North America training staff how to service and repair the motorized components of their system. Any problems with a cube ebike it simply goes to an authorized warranty center for servicing and repair. No such support network exists for generic product.

Generic knockoff ebikes...well, any problems, and there will be problems...ur sh*t out of luck.

One of the biggest issues with ebikes is the small single front sprocket and the stress it places on the chain and gear.
Theses cheaper systems eat chains and gear boxes.

I just wanted to call out some of these things so people are not mislead thinking there is little difference between ebikes.

4K is too much....:wink:

Nowadays everything is made in China. All these e-bikes in the market are made in China and rip-offs. I saw those bikes in Canadian market. The battery bar is too small compared with those ones sold in China. A trip to China landed me two of these bikes. One full charge can give me 80km on mild graded terrain. I won't tell you how much I paid for them, but I can tell you 4K is way too much.

I don't know why I can't quote my photos in my gallery, but you can check them out.

rollingrock
10-05-2015, 02:53 PM
For e-bikes the most important part is the battery bar. Yes you can have a ten grand bike mounted with e kit, but to a lot of people it's the battery and the motor that matter. The battery bars solder m Canadian market are a little too small. For my bikes, the bike itself worth a least one grand here, and there is nowhere to buy a bar with such capacity here. I paid one grand for m6 e bike altogether, and that's just online retail price.

Those e bikes are actually pretty powerful and are super quiet. You can get kits that will lace into your existing bike wheel. Just get a cheap mnt bike of your liking and install the kit. I think the whole thing can be had for under $500.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DIY-24V-500w-Front-Wheels-Ebike-Electric-Bicycle-Kits-DISC-Brushless-HUB-Motors-/131551791607?hash=item1ea11909f7

swampthing
10-05-2015, 05:56 PM
I bought a Norco fatbike this spring for my grizz hunt. It was very well suited for what I did. I put a "fatseat" on it and that was a huge improvement. I was at the bike dealer buying some accessories and they had a new Norco electric fatbike in. I went for a spin and almost traded my bike in on it. it was fast with very little effort. The guy said it was good for about 100km before a recharge. I would have bought it but the idea of buying a bike was to get exercise so I stuck with that plan. That e-bike had an almost 4k price on it but the dealer said I could have it for about $2900 or another 7-800 over what my fatbike was.

mastercaster
10-05-2015, 07:20 PM
This was the setup that I used a couple of seasons ago.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb144/mastercaster07/fad26a0f-d3f4-4cc8-857f-284e4779b709_zpsqkibd9ri.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/mastercaster07/media/fad26a0f-d3f4-4cc8-857f-284e4779b709_zpsqkibd9ri.jpg.html)

I took a poor route up the mountain side with it, though,,,,,took me 3 hours of grueling work to push it up trails i had no business being on! Hunting during that time frame was a write off to say the least because of all the noise and grunting. LOL Always a good thing to pack extra clothing to change into because I was soaked with sweat. Made the tough mudders and other obstacles course events I had done in the past seem like a cake walk.

Fortunately that hard work paid off in spades because I ended up dropping a deer that afternoon which only took about 20-25 minutes to ride down with on the trail I should have used heading up the mountain side. Sure wish I had some motorized assistance on that bike for the hump up. Disc brakes would have helped, as well, because my brakes were squealing all the way down. LOL

Wagonmaster
10-14-2015, 12:01 PM
Used a bike quite a few times. Certainly was quiet and a good way to get behind all the gates on the lower island. Tried it in the Interior once and learned one important thing. Stay out of the mud.

Bugle M In
10-14-2015, 04:24 PM
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/BugleMIn67/082%20c.jpg

no clue how to post it without having to click link :confused:

adriaticum
10-14-2015, 05:13 PM
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/BugleMIn67/082%20c.jpg