PDA

View Full Version : Need trail cam help?

bchunter181
07-22-2014, 09:32 AM
I have had my trail can for a couple years and it seems no matter where I move it to it always get attacked by a bear! Any tips to avoid a bear grabbing the camera and moving it so it's facing the trees thx

Wentrot
07-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Pretty sure they sell protective cases for this reason. I have not had this issue so am not 100 percent

russm
07-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Shoot the bear! Maybe put it in a higher location?

hunter fisher
07-22-2014, 10:20 AM
used to have this problem too. fixes:

1 don't eat peanut butter sandwiches before setting up trail cam

2 after you set up your cam, spray it with scent eliminator. problem solved

Ambush
07-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Bears are bad on cameras. I build a custom box for each camera that can be both lag bolted and cabled to the tree. Having the box extend well past the cam keeps teeth away and acts as a very important, frost, rain and snow shield. I'm starting to think that just using bare metal and letting it rust is also a great camo option.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Cam_box_2.JPG

Wentrot
07-22-2014, 10:43 AM
used to have this problem too. fixes:

1 don't eat peanut butter sandwiches before setting up trail cam

2 after you set up your cam, spray it with scent eliminator. problem solved

Scent eliminator is a scam don't ya know

bchunter181
07-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Ya I have a lock box on it and the bears still move it since they can climb trees not sure if putting it up would help. I have tried scent eliminator but doesn't seem to work

hunter fisher
07-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Scent eliminator is a scam don't ya know

had my first trail 2 trail cameras destroyed by bears. i started using scent eliminator sprayed on the front, back, and all the way around both sides of the strap, and i haven't had a problem since, and i even have lots of pics of bears on the 8 cams i now own. I'm skeptical about most new products, but this one proved itself to me

hunter1947
07-22-2014, 12:43 PM
I put my trail cam up about 9 feet hi and then put a big 8 inch long 2 inches thick branch behind the top back of the camera to get the right angle had the same problem when the camera was 5 feet of the ground seamed to have worked so far..

bassplayer
07-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Unfortunately, bears come with the risk of hanging a cam. I get lots of bears on my cam and haven't had an issue with them for some reason. On the other hand, i know lots of guys that have had their cams literally destroyed by bears. You have a lock box on it so i'd be happy that they are just able to move it and not puncture holes into it and disintegrate it.

Ourea
07-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Hanging a cam higher up can be a bit of a bear deterrent but the downward angle can negatively affect a cam's motion sensors (as I was told from one manufacturer). Ie: the cam will miss triggers.

Suggestion speaking from experience and running a lot of cams....
Get yourself a lock box.
Lag the lock box to the tree.
Even if a bear goes to town on the box it wont effect the camera's angle/field of view.
It adds a couple bucks to each setup but is well worth the investment and resulting piece of mind.

Mountain Hunter
07-22-2014, 05:51 PM
I find by cinching a cable lock tight around the tree and cam helps a lot. After a few visits by bears, they get jostled around a bit but only once and awhile do they get shifted off angle.

Lock boxes also help as mentioned, especially when a lot of cam manufacturers have thin cheap plastic tabs for the strap and cable....a bear simply grabs and pulls then entire cam off the tree while the strap and plastic tabs remain on the tree trunk (had this happen).

Sitkaspruce
07-23-2014, 08:27 PM
Hanging a cam higher up can be a bit of a bear deterrent but the downward angle can negatively affect a cam's motion sensors (as I was told from one manufacturer). Ie: the cam will miss triggers.

Get yourself a lock box.
Even if a bear goes to town on the box it wont effect the camera's angle/field of view.
It adds a couple bucks to each setup but is well worth the investment and resulting piece of mind.

This X2

I have had a really hard time this year with bears, for some reason, they have been showing up the second or third day and changing the angle of the camera. None have been ripped off as they are in a metal case and cinch locked to the tree, but they are changing the angle. So next time it wil be with lag bolts, washers and the drill.

Elk will do the same thing.

Cheers

SS

hunter1947
07-24-2014, 05:41 AM

Get yourself a lock box.

I have not had a problem with the trail cam taking pictures at 9 feet hi I had 1,456.00 in one week with the trail cam at this elevation the big WT buck is one of the pictures with the trail cam up at 9 feet 90% of the pictures where from deer bear and elk.....

Cyrus
07-24-2014, 06:07 AM
get a no glow camera and bears wont touch it. they hate the ir flash and of course the white flash.

sobirch
07-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Had bears play with 3 of my cams this year, two of which are no glow cams, 1 was ripped right off the tree. That was with scent eliminator applied. Today I put out a spike strip on one of my cams. I got the thickest and widest rubber band that would fit on my cam and stuck about 25 1 inch roofing nails through it then stretched it around my cam. It looked really good when I was done and I hope it keeps noses and paws away but I don't know if this will work or just piss them off. I put the cam on 30 second video so it should be interesting to see what happens. I will let you all know in 2 weeks.

hunter1947
07-25-2014, 05:53 AM
Had bears play with 3 of my cams this year, two of which are no glow cams, 1 was ripped right off the tree. That was with scent eliminator applied. Today I put out a spike strip on one of my cams. I got the thickest and widest rubber band that would fit on my cam and stuck about 25 1 inch roofing nails through it then stretched it around my cam. It looked really good when I was done and I hope it keeps noses and paws away but I don't know if this will work or just piss them off. I put the cam on 30 second video so it should be interesting to see what happens. I will let you all know in 2 weeks.

Looking forward to seeing the videos..

Sitkaspruce
07-25-2014, 08:00 PM
get a no glow camera and bears wont touch it. they hate the ir flash and of course the white flash.

Most, if not all my bear "problems" occur during the day and the flash does not go off then. Plus tow of my cams a BF and they are just as popular as my white and IR flash cameras.

Bear, elk and moose all play around with my cams, no matter the flash type.

Cheers

SS

hunter1947
07-26-2014, 04:48 AM
Most, if not all my bear "problems" occur during the day and the flash does not go off then. Plus tow of my cams a BF and they are just as popular as my white and IR flash cameras.

Cheers

SS
X2 this is very true for me as well.

.300WSMImpact!
07-26-2014, 10:52 AM

Cheers

SS

I always assume its the sound it makes, although I cant hear anything,