PDA

View Full Version : 5-02d, Does it get over run with us hunters in early Oct.

greasysidedown
07-22-2014, 08:21 AM
For several reasons my sons and I had to switch up our normal moose hunting area. Ended up getting our 2nd choice moose draws.

Too busy with projects [life] down here to do any camping/scouting this year [unfortunately]. Any quieter places to camp for a week- 10 days and poke around for moose/deer without having our calling sessions interrupted?

Camper, small wall tent, quad, 12' boat, fishing rods, dirt bike.

We'll be some of those disturbers out there. lol

markomoose
07-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Ya you guys sound like trouble!I-m staying away!

randymac
07-22-2014, 11:50 AM
You said this was your second choice moose draw? You must have horseshoes up somewhere? I thought the only way to get a second choice draw was for under subscribed draws. looking at the odds for all the different 5-2d draws none of them appear to be under subscribed

LYKTOHUNT
07-22-2014, 12:55 PM
You said this was your second choice moose draw? You must have horseshoes up somewhere? I thought the only way to get a second choice draw was for under subscribed draws. looking at the odds for all the different 5-2d draws none of them appear to be under subscribed
I am with on this one , some in our group applied for that as a first choice and did not get drawn

greasysidedown
07-22-2014, 11:11 PM
Ok, ok. I've got horseshoes. Actually my sons do. We used to hunt off the Parsnip and the kids never missed [low odds].

I applied for 5-02b as 1st choice. I know some of that area. The boys can't get away this year for as long as we usually go for.

One of us must have gotten drawn but there wasn't anymore authorizations left in 5-02b, so we got our 2nd choice. Quit raining on my parade....lol.

Steeleco
07-22-2014, 11:41 PM
Well I for one am glad you got your 2nd choice!! Because we got your 1st choice. Now if only we can find the bulls we saw last fall and didn't have a tag!!

LYKTOHUNT
07-23-2014, 06:01 AM
Ok, ok. I've got horseshoes. Actually my sons do. We used to hunt off the Parsnip and the kids never missed [low odds].

I applied for 5-02b as 1st choice. I know some of that area. The boys can't get away this year for as long as we usually go for.

One of us must have gotten drawn but there wasn't anymore authorizations left in 5-02b, so we got our 2nd choice. Quit raining on my parade....lol.
Sorry did not mean to rain on your parade I am happy for you and your boys, we have over the years been very lucky getting draws there, I am just confused how that system works

BCHunterTV
07-23-2014, 06:04 AM
I have 5-2 D for Sept.. completely new area to us.

reach
07-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Sorry did not mean to rain on your parade I am happy for you and your boys, we have over the years been very lucky getting draws there, I am just confused how that system works
You're right to be confused. It doesn't work that way. It's more likely a data entry error where his second choice hunt code got entered as a first choice.

Mik
07-23-2014, 09:34 AM
I used to hunt in 5-02b had great success for years :) congrats on your draws in 5-02D ! I wish I could help you in this new area and whether a typo or not....... whatever! Congrats on your draw. That entire area is great for moose. Our camp started years ago by the Eureka Peak Outfitters" area and eventually ended up around that coffee lake area.i have friends that have hunted around Horsefly and Quesnel lake and have been successful every time. I hope you and your sons have a successful hunt this year, all the best.

greasysidedown
07-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Hey LYKTOHUNT, just kidding about the rain. There could possibly be a very slim remote unlikely chance the I screwed up as well and GOD was smiling on me for living a good clean life...........lol

Anyway, back to the real topic, and I'm sorry to even ask the question. Any out of the way places to camp on some sort of water in 5-02d that have the possibility of moose hanging around.

Thanks

LYKTOHUNT
07-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Hey LYKTOHUNT, just kidding about the rain. There could possibly be a very slim remote unlikely chance the I screwed up as well and GOD was smiling on me for living a good clean life...........lol

Anyway, back to the real topic, and I'm sorry to even ask the question. Any out of the way places to camp on some sort of water in 5-02d that have the possibility of moose hanging around.

Thanks
Look for a PM from me

257stew
07-23-2014, 12:27 PM
As for the second choice draw, I have had draws for second choice as well in areas that had more applicants then permits.
Here is how it works (or so I have been told by a CO).

All the first choice applications are in a row, computer goes along and randomly selects from the list , those who will get a draw. Problem is the computer does not know how long the list is. So when it gets to the end of the list and still has a few authorizations to hand out, it goes to the second choice list and starts handing them out there.
To me it seems that if more people apply then there are tags, the second choice should never get a chance at them. But I guess they do it this way to give the second choice a meaning. What happens if the computer gets to the end of the second choice and still has a permit or two is any body's guess. May be they just hand them out to anybody or go back and start down the first choice again.

Cheers 257Stew

moosecamp
07-23-2014, 12:52 PM
So I emailed the guys at the LEH office to find out why a second choice was picked over a first choice in 5-02d and here is the answer I got.

You are correct in saying that only hunts with more available authorizations than first choice applicants can be won by second choice applicants. A hunt with 1:1 odds or more can never be won by a second choice applicant. That is to say, a second choice never supersedes a first choice. I looked up the data for the hunt you are referring to, hunt code 4154, and there were 350 first choice applicants for 50 issued authorizations. There were no second choice winners for that hunt, or any of the other three moose hunts in 5-02 D. I believe this other group must be mistaken about their draw, but unless they give you permission to look up their results or contact me themselves that is as helpful as I can be. I hope this answers your questions, but if not please send me another email.

Thanks,

Nathan Badry
Limited Entry Hunting Processing Clerk
Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch
Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations

So Greasysidedown you could always contact them to see if they or you made the mistake.;)

Anyways have a good hunt and good luck on your moose draw.

srupp
07-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Send me a pm with a ph number....I have the same draw..know the area very well..

Steven

greasysidedown
07-23-2014, 10:23 PM
Hey Moosecamp

I am anal enough to check that out. I don't think I'm stupid enough though. Maybe after the season is over. The moose GOD is on my side and I'm happy.

greasysidedown
07-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Thank you Steven and others.

Jelvis
07-23-2014, 10:28 PM
Is the Pope Catholic?

srupp
07-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Great chat Wayne..you will do well
Steven