PDA

View Full Version : mt goats

bcwoodz
07-21-2014, 11:11 PM
So i put in for mountain goat again this year with no luck getting a draw. I really want to go hunting for a goat anyway does anyone have any experience hunting goats in 7-5,7-17,7-18 ? There are lots of hiking trails in these areas to access the alpine like grizzly den, raven lake, erg, torpy, the farm. Just not sure if there are goat populations in these smaller mt ranges or do i need to go further in the mcgegors 7-18 to see goats?

Kopper
07-22-2014, 12:23 AM
Been far back into 7-18. There are goats back there forsure but it is such a huge mess of alders up until the alpine which makes for a few swear words, I hate alders. I think you would do best if you were able to get on top of a big mtn range and spike it out vs spotting and hiking up. Lots of grizzs too, ran into one that picked the same chute as us to which we quietly exited, but boy that was a mtn grizz in perfection.

alaskahun
07-22-2014, 01:48 AM
yes.. in that regions we will get the goats to hunt...but Except during the open season, for the purpose of section 26 (1) (c) of the Act, a person must not hunt in the following parks, conservancies and protected areas:

bcwoodz
07-22-2014, 07:59 PM
The park act says the aforementioned parks are open for hunting during an open season. So there are goats in these areas?

Jerlynn
07-23-2014, 08:07 AM
I'll second Kopper22. The worst hiking/hunting trip of my life was trying to push back into Goat Mountain through the horizontal willows and alders and was the slowest and most exhausting hike I've ever attempted.

Amphibious
07-23-2014, 08:37 AM
Spent many days in grizzly den over the years. never saw a goat, but lots of grizz. Its not very "goaty", but might make up some of their winter range. Bumped into plenty of grizz digging marmots up there though.

swampthing
07-23-2014, 05:10 PM
I will 3rd kopper 22 on the killer thick valley bottom. I have a storey on here from about 4 years ago.

bcwoodz
07-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Okay thanks for the info guys still putting my plan together.

Liveforthehunt
07-28-2014, 11:09 PM
I have seen a few goats in 7-5 a few years back when we hunted moose in that region access looked alright stopped going in there after they dumped a wack of cattle off at the goat river