PDA

View Full Version : Moon phase Moose Rut Hunting

afors
07-21-2014, 08:08 PM
So... this year we have a full moon on October 8, my question is: Is this going to affect the rut? I understand that people say that animals will move and feed more on a full moon, which makes sense... it is lighter at night etc etc

I have typically hunted moose the first or second week of October, I have had more success towards the second week. I set up and call and have been quite successful, with much thanks to some of the great members here on HBC that have shared their experience and knowledge. I am just curious what your experience is hunting moose during "the rut" with a full moon. Some people say the lunar cycle controls rut and some say last week of Sept and first week of Oct... honestly, I don't know...

We will be hunting Central BC.

Any help or experience via post or pm would be much appreciated.

Liveforthehunt
07-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Last week of sept first week of October I have called most of my big bulls in end of sept. There has been a full moon many of times during this period with very little effect from my personal experience. As you said though it's a good theory that they would be more active at night with it being "brighter" with a full moon as long as it's clear.

Jagermeister
07-21-2014, 08:19 PM
A full moon during the rut will cause bulls to mosey about, however, that is if it's out. Cloud cover will change that so it is a crap shoot. Just go out hunting. BTW, moose are not the early risers like deer and elk. They like south facing slopes so they can absorb some rays before getting on with their day.
Have a nice hunting trip!