PDA

View Full Version : new to waterfoul

zeddy
07-21-2014, 06:16 PM
As title says I'm new to waterfowl. I'm probably opening a can of worms but look for best choke and shell combo. I'm good with clay with my little mossburg but recently purchased a benelli super nova for hunting. Any suggestions and opinions are appreciated

RoscoeP
07-21-2014, 06:42 PM
I also have the Benelli Super nova, it is stamped right on the full choke tube "no steel" so I would use the modified choke tube with ammo of your choice.

Kopper
07-21-2014, 07:46 PM
I use modified choke with 3in #3 or #4 for ducks, but most of my shots aren't close. Probably a less constricted choke and smaller shot for closer range.

Mulehahn
07-21-2014, 08:01 PM
It depends a lot on where you are going to be shooting, in the marsh or do you have access to a field? If going to the marsh I like to shoot #2s because you don't know what you will call in/jump. If shooting in a field and you can have a solid idea of what you will shoot (ducks or geese) I like to shoot #4s or BBs accordingly. Same goes for the choke. If you are set up fairly close an improved cylinder works well, but if shots may be a bit further a modified is great. If you are looking for an all around, this is what I use, then to me #2s with modified choke is the answer. As for shell brand, the importance of patterning your shotgun can not be over stated. Lots of great fowl hunters on here, hopefully on of them chimes in but that is my experience.

bc_buckshot
07-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Mod choke always.
I use a 28 year old 870 wingmaster 2-3/4.For ducks i use #4 over decoys 20-30 yard max. For fly bys and pass shooting i use #2. Geese I use bbb or bb.

Little trick for you if your shooting over decoys, throw in and chamber a #4. Then bottom feed another #4 then make your last shot a #2. That way if you come up to your last shot and missed your last shot is more set up for a farther shot
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z404/bc_buckshot/image_zpsf56189e0.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/bc_buckshot/media/image_zpsf56189e0.jpg.html)

Cdn-Redneck
07-21-2014, 08:38 PM
I have a supernova and have found that with the factory chokes shells around 1400 fps shoot better than 1550 fps. I am going to pattern it better this season just tried a couple cheapo loads end of last season on a piece of cardboard. Mostly shot 2 3/4 over decoys.

Foxton Gundogs
07-21-2014, 09:00 PM
One of my young partners shoots a Nova. He shoots 1625 Kents #3 for ducks over decoys, same shell but # 2 for pass shooting and same for Geese in BB over deeks. he shoots either modified or a Pattern Master mid range choke. He is deadly with those combos, one of the best young gunners I have came across in over 50 yrs of waterfowling. When it comes to steel there is 1 thing to remember SPEED KILLS. Be patient, when the landing gear comes down it's killing time.

zeddy
07-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Thanks you all this is very helpful. I have yet to even unbox. That's tomorrow after work. Please keep the info coming. I need to learn.

fowl language
07-21-2014, 09:51 PM
once you get your gun ,take it to a range and pattern your gun with different size shot. try different shells as well. our group shoot kent shells with good results .most of my guns pattern no 3 shot better then number 2 shot, if your going hunting both ducks and geese no 1 shot works well as in a big wind as well. for geese we all use bb. . hope this helps. keep in mind the words of the world renown waterfowler jim fox [ foxton gundogs] SPEED KILLS....fowl

field marshal
07-21-2014, 10:22 PM
once you get your gun ,take it to a range and pattern your gun with different size shot. try different shells as well. our group shoot kent shells with good results .most of my guns pattern no 3 shot better then number 2 shot, if your going hunting both ducks and geese no 1 shot works well as in a big wind as well. for geese we all use bb. . hope this helps. keep in mind the words of the world renown waterfowler jim fox [ foxton gundogs] SPEED KILLS....fowl
And again who can explain to all the dead waterfowl that have fallen to my " cheapy Charlie" 1100fps. loads that you aren't really dead you stupid birds, you just think you are!!!!! Council new waterfowlers to follow the fundamentals of
good decoy work and in your face shooting!! Not how fast the bloody load flies??? Smarten up you guys!!
Jeeeze' get real???---Cheers---Field Marshal.

Moe.JKU
07-22-2014, 08:34 AM
with my nova i use a modified choke for ducks. And then put my patternmaster goose code black I think it is. Kents work great for me. 3" #2 ducks, 3" BB geese.

I am going to try the federal prarie storms this weekend to see how they pattern compared to the kents.

Foxton Gundogs
07-22-2014, 09:30 AM
And again who can explain to all the dead waterfowl that have fallen to my " cheapy Charlie" 1100fps. loads that you aren't really dead you stupid birds, you just think you are!!!!! Council new waterfowlers to follow the fundamentals of
good decoy work and in your face shooting!! Not how fast the bloody load flies??? Smarten up you guys!!
Jeeeze' get real???---Cheers---Field Marshal.

What the heck are you shooting now Tony you old bog buster, I thought you were a "Cheap Red" guy like me and those fly at 1550. Did you find a new source of those old ACE shells Cambodia Tire used to sell. LMAO. Definitely Fowl is right on, patterning a new gun is very important, that's why I quoted what my young partner "2.0" shoots in his Nova instead of what I use in my Berettas, at least it gives him a place to start with his Nova. There is a LOT to be said for "in your face" shooting though, like I said, be patient when the landing gear comes down it's killing time.

fowl language
07-22-2014, 04:42 PM
tony, I rather doubt that a new hunter will enjoy the same private hunting that you do on the island. on this side of the water we have way more hunters then you do over there which is more pressure on the birds, hence the birds are smarter here after opening day. I will not argue you shoot the cheapie Charlie shells very effectively but on very few occasions on this side of the water do we enjoy that luxury. later in the season it becomes increasingly harder to kill birds effectively with a lighter load because of the plumage increasing and the birds smartening up. I hope this helps you understand why we have suggested why we recommended a faster shell. this also eliminates trying to figure out longer leads with slower shells ,which will be a help....dale

biggyun68
07-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Doesn't matter what loads I seem to use nothing is effective - even when the bird is 25 feet away!

B-rad
07-25-2014, 02:38 PM
I can't stress enough of pattern testing,,,,,,I pattern test on 15"x15" piece of paper,,,,that's just me,,,lots of people test on a 20"x20",,,,,,with my scattergun( mossberg 500) I got off lucky and am able to shoot the cheap 3" number 3s(Winchester super x) 85% pattern at 30 yards and 80% pattern with BBs at 30 yards using full choke,,,,,every gun shoots differently with different loads and chokes,,,,lucky for me I can get away with the cheap loads,,,,$15 from Walmart

huntingtime
07-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Could you go into the patterning of the shot gun a little more. I'm still not sure what to look for.

Ron.C
07-25-2014, 03:32 PM
Doesn't matter what loads I seem to use nothing is effective - even when the bird is 25 feet away!

sounds like we have something in common:redface:

fowl language
07-25-2014, 04:35 PM
biggyun, jim and I both fell in your case I believe you need to shoot a gun that is functional first and foremost. this generally helps your average....fowl

biggyun68
07-28-2014, 07:38 AM
Rotflmao!:-d