PDA

View Full Version : Gift Idea for a New Hunter (my girlfriend)

Sarge789
07-21-2014, 11:41 AM
Girlfriend's birthday is coming up and she is getting into hunting. Looking for some ideas. I was thinking some bootfoot waders for waterfowl, but we might go for deer with her pops in September.

If you were starting (and were a 22 year old young lady) what would be a neat gift for you? We both also ride horses (just started ranch sorting, looking to start penning soon) and fly fish.. I gave her my old rod for that though. So any ideas even outside of hunting would be good.

Any ideas? I'm stuck!

Thanks,

Sarge

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Does she already have her PAL and CORE courses? If not, you could gift her one of those!

If she already has them, an engraved hunting knife?

Ddog
07-21-2014, 11:48 AM
a nice custom knife,, there are a few makers on this site,
here a his and hers set from someone,, guess which one is hers,lol
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/DDOGGY/IMG_0240_zps2b120908.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/user/DDOGGY/media/IMG_0240_zps2b120908.jpg.html)

Sarge789
07-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Does she already have her PAL and CORE courses? If not, you could gift her one of those!

If she already has them, an engraved hunting knife?

Yep, got them both for her last year =)

Other then that, everyone needs a good knife..

Edit: where are the makers?

russm
07-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Comfy clothes, nothing will ruin your trip faster than constant complaints that she's coooold lol

adriaticum
07-21-2014, 12:03 PM
A set of nice buffs.
Sliced bread doesn't even come close to these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewVEK-AElDY

Moe.JKU
07-21-2014, 12:50 PM
I don't know how much you plan to spend but just look at the essentials that you need as a hunter.
Bino's
Knife
Warm clothes (i heard it all last season, can't we start moving i'm cold, 15mins into glassing...)
some good boots.
etc.

Amphibious
07-21-2014, 12:53 PM
A really good knife. I went through lots of junk before I found my first good knife. High end steel and just the right size. Something she can carry on your trail rides and process her deer with. A knife also has room for a nice inscription ;)

I have a Northarm Coho on the way to try out (site supporter, BC Made!), but right now I'm very much in lust with the pair I have from Bark River Knives. Scary sharp and keeps an edge for a long time.

noahs ark
07-21-2014, 02:08 PM
Sounds more like you need to buy yourself a new flyrod.

BernDawg
07-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Hunting clothes that are made for women.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/10h/origin-d4.scene7.com/is/image/Underarmour/V5-1247079-946_HTF?fmt=jpg&qlt=85,1&bgc=efefef&wid=1051&hei=990&fit=fit,1&extendN=0,0.02,0,0.02&rect=233,0,584,550

07-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Gift Cert for WSS or the Like then she gets what she wants ....... other then that Camo Condoms .......

RiverRunner
07-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Optics.. nothing says i love you like Swarovski!
camo…. tight camo is hot on the ladies!
gore tex….. it always rains… gota keep dry and quality gear saves the day. Simms Fishing equipment makes some sweet women's gore tex. Patagonia does now too
pack…. tell her its like a purse but bigger!
merino base layers…. expensive and worth every penny and more than one set is always nice
rifle… get a caliber you can borrow…hehehe
ammo… almost as rare as diamonds these day
knives…. make sure your relationship is solid (insert Loraina Bobbit jokes here…. your young… look it up)

kenadiens
07-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Hunting clothes that are made for women.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/10h/origin-d4.scene7.com/is/image/Underarmour/V5-1247079-946_HTF?fmt=jpg&qlt=85,1&bgc=efefef&wid=1051&hei=990&fit=fit,1&extendN=0,0.02,0,0.02&rect=233,0,584,550
X2 Trick to keeping a new hunter interested is keeping them warm.

t-rexer
07-21-2014, 07:34 PM
I'd share a blind with her

nature girl
07-21-2014, 08:01 PM
Since I am a women. No do not buy her cloths. You may buy a size to big or to small then you will have to hear about it. The best gift you can give her is a gift certificate for a hunting store that carries womens boots, womens clothes or whatever she may think she may like. I love it when I get hunting store gift certificates then that is exactly what I do buy what I want.

4 point
07-21-2014, 08:07 PM
How did my girlfriends picture get in these two posts?

ducktoller
07-21-2014, 10:52 PM
How did my girlfriends picture get in these two posts?
Wtf man that is my wife.

jeff341
07-22-2014, 02:03 PM
In Chilliwack at Doug's keymart, they have a real nice buck ladies knife and skinning hook combo set in a really nice distressed style leather sheath.

Knife is designed for ladies hand and size......Ergohunter i think it was......

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Ducktoller, that's YOUR wife? Oh man- things just got awkward. Uhhhh, say hi to her and my kids then...

albravo2
07-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Good for you getting some opinions.

She sounds like a keeper... riding, fishing, hunting... you're going to have to go to work to get any time to yourself!

My advice would be a little different than most preceding. Get her something for hunting but also get her something that might appeal to her other, less outdoorsy, interests too. Some perfume, lingerie, etc...

You can thank me later:-)

BernDawg
07-22-2014, 08:13 PM
Since I am a women. No do not buy her cloths. You may buy a size to big or to small then you will have to hear about it. The best gift you can give her is a gift certificate for a hunting store that carries womens boots, womens clothes or whatever she may think she may like. I love it when I get hunting store gift certificates then that is exactly what I do buy what I want.

Yup, that's a far better idea. I gave up hinting at stuff a long time ago and just ask for gift cards now or for my other half not to watch when I do go shopping for new hunting gear ;-) Should be a 2 way street eh?

scottwh
07-22-2014, 08:29 PM
How about the Badlands magnetic close bino buddies? Stuff a couple warm pairs of sox inside. Also take her for a nite out she wont forget :))

35rem
07-22-2014, 09:47 PM
A ring; a woman that likes to go hunting with you is worth keeping....

Sarge789
07-23-2014, 02:37 PM
A ring; a woman that likes to go hunting with you is worth keeping....

Good advice everyone... Got some good ideas here. And yes, shes a definite keeper. Easy on the eyes as well!

Thanks,

Sarge

Wagonmaster
07-29-2014, 09:32 PM
How about this hat?? http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff219/Wagonmaster_photos/wifeshat.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/Wagonmaster_photos/media/wifeshat.jpg.html)

Wagonmaster
07-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Well...maybe not. She's 22 and probably gorgeous. At my age (old), I'm perhaps a bit envious.

longstonec
07-29-2014, 09:56 PM
Stanfeild onesie... Make sure to practice buttflap operations.

Duidery
07-29-2014, 10:06 PM
Here are some gifts I have got for my wife. She has appreciated and enjoyed using all of them. I'm trying to get her to be as comfortable and excited as she can about hunting. The more she likes it, the easier it is for me to go!
- Bino buddies
- a Primos shooting stick
- a good camo back pack or bag for her hunting gear
- some camo gear with a touch of pink in it, like the picture earlier
- a trail camera
- pink shooting muffs
- a nice padded gun sling

caddisguy
07-30-2014, 09:45 AM
If I bought my girlfriend any hunting / outdoor stuff with pink--especially pink camo--she will swat me repeatedly with it. That has been made clear... sees rifle with pink stock... "why would they mess up a perfectly good rifle?" ... almost like getting a truck lowered!

Anyway some ideas... I like the backpack idea because you can put stuff in it... like a hunter x-mas stocking of sorts!

- Backpack with goodies inside it (compass, hand warmers, knife, multi-tool, candles, outdoor store gift certs or any non-outdoor stuff she might like ... maybe some IOU notes for stuff like "massage" ... "Lets to anything you want today" ... "Dinner wherever you want to go" ... all redeemable anytime ... if she likes girly stuff and smelly things, products from Lush, bath salts and stuff like that are good to throw in the mix)
- Flies (everyone needs a large array of flies in their arsenal)
- Fly tying kit (this will work in your favor later on ... inexpensive custom flies ... hope my gf don't read this... HI HONEY LOVE U)
- Fly box
- Waders / Boots / Vest
- Digital camera if she doesn't have one and might want one

I'm sure you'll figure something out. Girls are all different and you know yours better than anyone here.