PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun advice?

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Hey all, I'm pretty solid on my rifle knowledge, and I'm comfortable with the rifles I have, but I'm looking at getting a 12 gauge just for fun (and grouse). I have an opportunity for a Winchester XPS Marine Defender. It looks cool, but it has a very short barrel- 18". In your experience, will that really matter? Again, it's for fun and upland game birds, not waterfowl.

I've always thought that longer barrels were better, but I admittedly have little shotgun knowledge.

Mods, if this is in the wrong topic, my apologies!

Gateholio
07-21-2014, 11:16 AM
What kind of fun. ? While you CAN shoot clays with a short barrel , it's harder. Shotguns come in many configurations for different purposes. For grouse a 20 gu with IC or Mod choke always worked for me. I have wing shot grouse with a defender shotgun but it's not the best choice by far

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-21-2014, 11:20 AM
The fun would probably be clays, yes, but not super often. For the most part it would to have with me when I'm deer/bear hunting for birds we see on the way.

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Oh, and I should say that the gun comes with full, modified, and IC choke tubes, if that helps.

Moe.JKU
07-21-2014, 12:55 PM
I would get something with a 26, 28" barrel, that would be your best bet for clays, grouse, and who knows if you get into waterfowl. Shooting birds is an addicting thing. Look at a benelli nova, Supernova, Browning BPS etc all great shotguns that wont give you any hassle.

bwarwaruk
07-21-2014, 01:10 PM
I have a CZ Ultralight Upland 12g with a 28" barrel. It weighs in just over 6 pounds, is an over under, and is a solid gun. Its light enough to pack around all day while hunting for grouse. Only down side is the kick. They removed all extra weight, and due to this, it gives a bit of kick. I take it to shoot trap sometimes, and its just plan fun to shoot.

Getting on Moe's bandwagon, I also have a Benelli supernova that is my duck/goose gun. Great shotgun as well.

Both guns have different purposes, as I wouldnt want to pack my benelli around all day long.

That's my 2 cents.

B-rad
07-21-2014, 01:23 PM
If it comes with the full choke then yes,,,,would be fun gun,,,,,,with short barrel and a full choke,,,,you would be able to reach out comfortably to 30 yards and using 7.5 bird shot,,,,grouse have no chance

quaint bucket
07-21-2014, 02:36 PM
shotgun with less than 28" barrel if you're doing upland birds. You can still shoot clays with 20" barrels and chokes. People will just look at you weird.

I would get a pump in that case. The giddy person in me would buy a coach gun. Impractical, but fun... haha.

WestCoastHunter
07-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Winchester sxp is a fantastic gun and most definitely affordable!

hoochie
07-21-2014, 10:09 PM
when looking at a shotgun, don't forget that many of the shorter barrels have a higher mag cap that allowed for hunting. The "defender" type shotguns can hold, 5-8 shells. If you choose one of these models, don't forget to plug the mag tube with a dowel or by other means. You can load it up for having around camp and shooting targets etc, but don't get caught shooting animals with a full mag. 2 in the mag and one in the chamber, for a total of 3 is all that is allowed.
we use a Remington wingmaster and a Browning BPS for birds, and have a Fabarm and a BPS high-cap for fun and camp security.
Once you decide what you want to do with it, it points you in a more straight forward direction.
if you want to pack it all day and shoot it a little, get a short barrel.
if you think that shooting birds may become something you really enjoy, get a 24 or longer barrel
if you want it in and out of the truck easily, go really short like a 14' barrel.
If you think you might want to shoot ducks and geese.. get an even longer barrel!
If you are not sure if you are even going to shoot it that often, and may not even like it that much, get a used one, or a cheap maverick ( Mossberg low end)

Buying a more expensive gun when you are not sure about it leads people to sell them, and you will be wanting all your money back. Often guys sell guns "like new condition, only a few boxes of shells through it".. cause they bought something without thinking it through. And they ask the same price for their used gun as one new in the store. Be mindful of the price if you go used, and don't spend all your money on something new! Find something in the middle of the road.

Amphibious
07-21-2014, 10:10 PM
chokes change the dynamic of such a short gun for the better. Choke affects your effective range far more then barrel length ever will. a 16" pipe and a 30" pipe will have the same pattern with equal chokes. I run a 22" BPS Upland and it;s a great gun for chickens. Providing they're close and not crossing, the short pipe swings like crap.

you can always pick up a longer pipe if you want to use the same gun for waterfowling and trap, where longer barrels will help with swing, follow-through, and accuracy (longer rib).

hoochie
07-21-2014, 10:13 PM
I've always thought that longer barrels were better

the longer the barrel, the farther out you can get a tighter group. If you want to shoot at a 15 yard maximum a short barrel would be fine. If you want to shoot a bird that is 40yards out, the pattern will be so spread out with a short barrel, that your only chance to knock it down would be with a 26" barrel.
It all depends on what you want the gun to do.
Ive taken many grouse with an 18.5" barrel. not an issue.

tuffteddyb
07-21-2014, 10:13 PM
I would just search and findout if you can get longer barrels and other options for it.

Amphibious
07-21-2014, 10:17 PM
the longer the barrel, the farther out you can get a tighter group. If you want to shoot at a 15 yard maximum a short barrel would be fine. If you want to shoot a bird that is 40yards out, the pattern will be so spread out with a short barrel, that your only chance to knock it down would be with a 26" barrel.
It all depends on what you want the gun to do.
Ive taken many grouse with an 18.5" barrel. not an issue.

Barrel length is irrelevant to pattern, providing the same choke.

Hitting something at 40yrds is much easier with a longer barrel, but it has nothing to do with pattern.

Gateholio
07-21-2014, 10:51 PM
Barrel length is irrelevant to pattern, providing the same choke.

Hitting something at 40yrds is much easier with a longer barrel, but it has nothing to do with pattern.

x2, except for a few inches...Presumably a 24" barrel will give the same pattern as a 18" barrel does, except 6" further. :)

biggyun68
07-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Good article on barrel length:
http://shotgunreport.com/2012/06/05/effects-of-barrel-length/

Basically your barrel is your sight the longer the barrel the better the sighting plane but the less responsive the gun:

Also take into consideration most gun clubs have a minimum barrel length on the clay ranges:

hoochie
07-22-2014, 08:30 AM
I guess I was thinking that all 18 or less are full bore with no choke.

Kami
07-22-2014, 08:39 AM
I have a 12ga and 20 ga. I prefer the 20 any day. The 20 is tons of fun shooting clays. You can shoot a whole box pain free. The 12 hits your shoulder harder however does dust the clays further out. 20 swings faster and both 15 yr old son and wife who often come out also have an easier time with it. I must say the 12 is the one I choose for shooting Canada geese. 20 is a little light for geese I think. We shoot grouse with the 20ga or a .22. My 20 ga is a 1942 year Winchester model 12. It is smooth, feels great and fires like new. We all love it. Great gun. My 12 ga is a 1971 year Remmington 870. Also a good gun but heavy. I have a full length modified choke barrel for it, as well as a minimum length shorty barrel and pistol grip for bear defense when wanted. Both guns can be had for a good budget.

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Wow- thanks for all the great advice guys! This forum is such an awesome resource. As I said, this would be mostly for grouse, so the 18" barrel with a full choke doesn't sound like it would be an issue from what I've read here.

To be honest, I was looking at that particular one because I have a 1959 Model 94 30-30 that I want to trade. I have no use for the gun (though it's in great condition and all original), but I can use a 12 gauge. I'm going to keep looking around and see what other people may have too though.

Fisher-Dude
07-22-2014, 11:26 AM
You can get a brand new Maverick 88 with both an 18 and a 28 for less than $300. It takes about one minute to do the barrel swap.

B-rad
07-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Yup 18" barrel is fine with the full choke,,,,,,nice tight pattern to 30 yards,,,,,more than good enough for grouse,,,,,just use 7.5 bird shot for more pellets in the kill zone,,,,,,you will be rackin the birds up