PDA

View Full Version : Tires For My Cherokee

italhunter
07-21-2014, 12:03 AM
I'm going to get new tires for my 1999 cherokee. They are not going to be big tires just 235-75-15 (tel:235-75-15) but there is such variety out there I can't decide. I'm looking for on/off road tire preferably with a snowflake stamp. The Goodyear Duratracs look pretty nice. Does anyone have any experience with these? I would like any advice or opinions on which brands and models are good on jeep Cherokees. Thank you.

Singleshotneeded
07-21-2014, 01:05 AM
The Duratracs are good...if you're looking for great winter tires then you can't beat Nokian Hakkapellittas(Kal Tire)...the traction is incredible. The Finns should make good winter tires, it's winter there 10 months of the year... :-)

russm
07-21-2014, 05:32 AM
I've got duratracs on my Xterra they seem to be good so far, I've only had them off road once or twice, I notice them on a lot of people's trucks........

pin_head
07-21-2014, 06:26 AM
I've had duratracs on my ram 1500 for two years and 40k so far. I can't complain at all about them. I've put them through the paces in some pretty ugly stuff and a lot of highway miles getting to the bush. Only puncture I've had was from a three inch wood screw.

I don't think you'd be disappointed if you opted for the goodyear.

Cheers,
Brad

allan
07-21-2014, 06:53 AM
I've had three sets of duratracs, good tires for both on road and off road. I will buy them again when I'm done with my current set.
I got over 100 000 km from each set. (80 000 from my last bfg at's)

d6dan
07-21-2014, 07:52 AM
I have a set of Goodyear Silent Armour Wranglers. Been on my vehicle for 5 years, great in snow, mud and loose gravel. Never even had a flat yet.

REMINGTON JIM
07-21-2014, 08:13 AM
BFG AT KO's ! :) RJ

italhunter
07-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Anyone with Yokohama's, Michelin's, Bridgestone's, or any other brand want to put in your 2 cents?

italhunter
07-21-2014, 11:11 AM
BFG AT KO's ! :) RJ

What vehicle do you have the BFG AT's on?

recoil
07-21-2014, 12:14 PM
I have has some bad experiences lately with BFG ATs, I think they need to spend less money on marketing and more on making a tougher tire. Made the switch to Nitto terra grapplers a few months ago and have been impressed, very grippy and so far no flats. Have friends with Toyo open country (same manufacturer) and they swear by them.

Moe.JKU
07-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Anyone with Yokohama's, Michelin's, Bridgestone's, or any other brand want to put in your 2 cents?

I had the bridgestong dueller revo at's on my Wrangler and they were good for normal use and moderate offroad. If you are looking at a tire for offroad purposes, then no AT is good for that. An all terrain is just that fair to good in all categories but not great in any. However they are the type of tire that suits 90% of peoples needs.
I have 33" duratrac's on mine now, good tire all around. I would by them again, they are the closest thing to good in all categories that i have come accross. Maybe look at the toyo M-55 as well, i might try these next time i need tires, have only heard good things about them.

REMINGTON JIM
07-21-2014, 12:44 PM
What vehicle do you have the BFG AT's on?

Currently on a 2006 Jeep TJ (32-11.50r15) - last ones were in a Suzuki Samarai ( 30-9.50r15 ) ! Excellent wear - NO flats and Very reasonable traction for a AT tire ! :wink:
RJ

ElliotMoose
07-21-2014, 01:04 PM
I used to run nothing but the BFG AT's. Nice tire and no complaints. Switched over to the Duratracs last year though and I must say if you intend to use it offroad this is a very effective tire. Will be grabbing a new set when these run out. 40,000 km under my 3/4 tonne diesel and they are still at over 50% which is a bit better than what I got out of the BFG's

Brambles
07-21-2014, 01:46 PM
I got a set of almost new toyo winter tires on Cherokee wheels if your interested, in the Kootenay's. Think they are 225's. I just put 33" duratracs on my Cherokee

sparkes3
07-21-2014, 05:13 PM
duratracs all the way

4 point
07-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Toyo's on my 1999 Cherokee goes anywhere, well almost.

Foxtail
07-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Best tires I ever had were the cooper discoverer st. Had them on my xterra and they were awesome on and off road in all conditions. Snowflake and studdable.

Sundance1972
07-22-2014, 06:18 AM
Best tires I ever had were the cooper discoverer st. Had them on my xterra and they were awesome on and off road in all conditions. Snowflake and studdable.

X2. Had a set on an Isuzu Rodeo. Worked incredibly well in the sloppy snow we get on the island and not a whole lot of road noise. Will be putting them on my 3/4 ton probably next year.

pnbrock
07-22-2014, 07:06 AM
was a bfg user for many years switched to duratrac not looking back!!!

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Kal Tire has a new tire out- Muteki Trail Hog. It's an off road tire that has the snowflake (like the Dura Trac) and can be used all year. And it's a little cheaper too.

Kopper
07-23-2014, 03:59 PM
Another vote for the duratracs. I have rather large ones on my pickup with just over 30000. Very little wearing, road noise is barely audible, great in snow or mud, and I feel better about driving over rocky crap. Very popular tire in the peace country where trucks see lots of offroad and on road use. Have had nokians and nitto terra grapplers, prefer the duratracs hands down.

Sunzuki
07-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Coopers make a fine series of tires.

mikeboehm
07-23-2014, 09:27 PM
I have toyo m55 and love them so far

khoffnbud
07-24-2014, 01:04 AM
toyo mts or at2s

Foxtail
07-24-2014, 09:56 AM
I think the 3 tires to take a close look at are the toyo m-55, the cooper discoverer st, and the Goodyear duratrac. Another that has had really good reviews is the dick cepeck fc-II.

quaint bucket
07-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Kal Tire has a new tire out- Muteki Trail Hog. It's an off road tire that has the snowflake (like the Dura Trac) and can be used all year. And it's a little cheaper too.

The smallest they come in is 265/75/16. He wants 235/75/15.

Your options are:

BFG Rugged Terrains A/T
General Grabbers AT2
BFG AT KO
Cooper Discoverer ST (We run them on our zambonis before)
Goodyear Duratracs (we currently run them on our zambonis)

Duratracs are very good for what they do but I am not a fan of them because I find the tires too soft (looking at the one on the zambonis) and people have complained that their tread life is poor compared to BFG AT KO. Plus, for the $$ to benefit, the BFG AT KO wins for me.

trev23
07-24-2014, 08:13 PM
The toyo m55's are great but for something as light as a cherokee i wouldn't want E rated tires. My family's spare vehicle is a xterra which is about the same weight as your cherokee and we are running the toyo open country mt's and they are great in any conditions. The procomp xtreme all-terrains are really nice too, have a set on my f150.

BradC
07-24-2014, 10:16 PM
I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Toyo M/T's. I have a few friends that's all they run.

David
07-25-2014, 11:48 AM
You really need to say what kind of driving you are going to be doing.

Why do you want the snowflake?
An A/T will perform better in snow than a M/T. If you just want the snowflake for ice, you can always sipe a M/T.
Because the snowflake has to do with cold weather traction, the rubber will generally be softer meaning a quicker wearing tire - if longevity matters to you.

A M/T will kick an A/T's butt in mud, so what is your anticipated snow vs. mud time?
Will you be driving on any loose rock/shale? Sidewall strength/tire ply will be important.

I find the BFG A/Ts to be a good tire, but not a value oriented tire. You pay a little extra $$$ for the name. If $$$ is no object it's still hard to beat the Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs (one level up from the Duratracs) after all these years. Kal Tire can usually get you into some decent slightly less known brands (less known, not necessarily 2nd tier) - I've always found their sales staff to be knowledgeable.

Me.

Tarp Man
08-01-2014, 01:00 AM
Take a good look at the reviews for Cooper AT3. I've run BFG AT's on my 1996 Tacoma 4WD, Cooper AT's. I now drive a 99 4Runner. I started with the Michelin LTX M/S which were useless on anything other than paved and graded gravel roads. Next up was a used pair of Nitto Terra Grapplers; I was not impressed, and based on other reviews, I won't try them again. I now have 2000km on the Cooper AT3's in a LT load range E. I highly recommend them, although not in a E rating for your Cherokee. First trip home from the coast was in monsoon rains. Tons of standing water on the highways, with no hydroplaning at hightway speeds. They grip well in the dry (but everything does), and clear mud well. They do pick up rocks a bit on the FSR's, but show very little wandering and hook up in off road 4Low situations really well. As a compromise between a MT tire and an AT tire, they are the best I've found.

.30-06 camsavbc
08-01-2014, 08:14 AM
I have Toyo Open Country AT/II's with an E rating. They were the best tire at the lowest price in my opinion and are worth looking up. I have them on my 06 Sierra 1500 4x4

.30-06 camsavbc
08-01-2014, 08:16 AM
...and trev23 is right, you don't need an E rating for your Cherokee which will save some more money.

.30-06 camsavbc
08-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Take a good look at the reviews for Cooper AT3. I've run BFG AT's on my 1996 Tacoma 4WD, Cooper AT's. I now drive a 99 4Runner. I started with the Michelin LTX M/S which were useless on anything other than paved and graded gravel roads. Next up was a used pair of Nitto Terra Grapplers; I was not impressed, and based on other reviews, I won't try them again. I now have 2000km on the Cooper AT3's in a LT load range E. I highly recommend them, although not in a E rating for your Cherokee. First trip home from the coast was in monsoon rains. Tons of standing water on the highways, with no hydroplaning at hightway speeds. They grip well in the dry (but everything does), and clear mud well. They do pick up rocks a bit on the FSR's, but show very little wandering and hook up in off road 4Low situations really well. As a compromise between a MT tire and an AT tire, they are the best I've found.
I also had the Michelin LTX's on my Sierra and they are only good for pavement and suck in snow. The Cooper tires were my second choice to the Toyo A/T II's

Robin
08-08-2014, 04:15 PM
I drive an 06 Rubicon and have a set of Dura Tracs that I use in the winter for highway driving and a set of MTR's with Kevlar, for summer wheeling and 4x4ing in deep snow, both sets are 35's. The Dura Tracs are excellent tires for moderate 4x4ing and highways driving but if you get into deep snow or thick mud they suck even aired down to 3lbs. The MTR's, I just got and they exhibit great road handling and are excellent off road tires, they surpass the Interco's I just replaced(even when new). For what you want them for I'd say go with the Dura's, great tires for what they are and even though they are 2 ply sidewalls they're pretty tough. Keep the air pressure down a tad when 4x4ing and you'll get a better grip on the dirt and in lite snow, it's all about traction. Try a set, you'll like them. They are ready to be studded if needed.

italhunter
08-09-2014, 03:21 PM
...and trev23 is right, you don't need an E rating for your Cherokee which will save some more money.

I agree. In the size I want the Duratracs only come in a C rating.

REMINGTON JIM
08-09-2014, 04:01 PM
I agree. In the size I want the Duratracs only come in a C rating.

C is perfect = 6 ply RATING Best for the weight of that vehicle - :wink: RJ

italhunter
08-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Canadian Tire has General Grabber AT2 on for $131 in 235 75 15's. They have the snowflake stamp, and can be studded. Does anyone have any experience with these? It's a $100 difference between those and the Duratracs so they have really caught my eye.

keoke
08-11-2014, 11:22 AM
I only have a couple hundred k on my grabbers but how bad can they be? Check out my thread "damn tires"

quaint bucket
08-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Canadian Tire has General Grabber AT2 on for $131 in 235 75 15's. They have the snowflake stamp, and can be studded. Does anyone have any experience with these? It's a $100 difference between those and the Duratracs so they have really caught my eye.

Waiting for them on order. Duratracs are great tires but the dollar value isn't that great. You're running soft tires and their tread life is horrendous. They are EXCELLENT on ice though. Run them studded on our zambonis.

I have heard and seen GGAT2 tires with 70-100k km on them.

REMINGTON JIM
08-11-2014, 12:06 PM

Thats a GOOD ! buy i would go with them IF they are LT's but maybe they are ONLY P's ? :( ! :wink: RJ

Foxtail
08-11-2014, 02:54 PM
I have had the grabbers on 2 different rigs. They are decent... But.. I then went to the cooper discoverer st and they were so much better, I probably won't buy anything else.

quaint bucket
08-12-2014, 02:34 PM
I did not like Cooper Discoverer on our zambonis. Once the studs are gone... they don't grip for anything despite multiple sipings.

Firestone Destination is also bad for this too. The only ones that have lasted was our Wrangler Duractracs.

gmcgilli66
08-12-2014, 02:47 PM
I have had the grabbers on 2 different rigs. They are decent... But.. I then went to the cooper discoverer st and they were so much better, I probably won't buy anything else.
I have been a BFG ATII guy for a long time. (F 150, Explorer Sport, F150.) I switched to Nitto Terra Grapplers 275/70/18's and was seriously disappointed with the summer wear. They were fine through the first winter (10K) and then lost a huge pile of rubber over the following summer (Interior BC HOT!) I made it through the second winter and traded them out at about 45-55% for a set of TOYO Open Country ATII 's. I'm now 2 summers into these and there is very little wear at 20K. The F150's are heavier that your jeep, (I run 10 ply) but the 2 dr Explorer Sport was probably about the same as yours.
Another thought is to wait for the Fall changeover specials; Cdn Tire often runs "buy 3 get one free", and other dealers offer manufacturers rebates.
With the heavier casings, you do sacrifice ride for durability.
Good luck with your choice!

adriaticum
08-20-2014, 10:13 PM

They are not cheaper than Duratrac.

Sofa King
08-20-2014, 10:22 PM
was a bfg user for many years switched to duratrac not looking back!!!

my brother too.
he has always ran bfg at's, like forever.
he switched to the duratracs a couple years ago, due to the stupid snowflake rule.
he's loved them.

Sofa King
08-20-2014, 10:26 PM
I just finally put new shoes on my truck this july.
I was kinda set on the wrangler territorys.
he offered me the duratracs for the same price, but I still chose the territory anyway.
I prefer a more muddy tire.
and so far, they've been outstanding.
I've seen some get great mileage from them as well.

adriaticum
08-20-2014, 10:37 PM
I just got into a Ford Ranger and will need new tires next year.
Seems these Duratracs are well liked.

quaint bucket
08-21-2014, 11:52 AM
my brother too.
he has always ran bfg at's, like forever.
he switched to the duratracs a couple years ago, due to the stupid snowflake rule.
he's loved them.

Most of the BFGs have the snowflakes...? What size does he run?

italhunter
08-28-2014, 09:36 PM
I went with the Duratracs. Canadian Tire had them on sale for 25% off.

Surprisingly they are very quiet don't ride rough at all on pavement. I was expecting that annoying humming sound on the highway and a stiff, rough ride. Now I can't wait to try them in some mud and snow.

italhunter
08-28-2014, 09:37 PM
I also bought a 5 year warranty on the tires that give me a free replacement if they can't repair it. I asked if that includes sidewall punctures and they assured me it did. Anyone have any experience with this type of warranty from Canadian Tire?

Sofa King
08-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Most of the BFGs have the snowflakes...? What size does he run?

not sure.
a couple years ago the bfg's didn't get snowflake-approved, which was complete bs.
American-made ones had a snowflake, but apparently the cops were looking at that and knowing if they were American-made or not.
that's why he switched to the duratrac.
maybe the bfg has the snowflake again, I don't know.

REMINGTON JIM
08-28-2014, 09:57 PM
The NEW upgarded BFG AT KO tire will ALL have a snowflake and a bit of of a change in tread design with a bit more sipping too - should be all new by November and there will be BIG deals on the old stock soon ! :wink: RJ

buck nash
08-28-2014, 10:24 PM
I can't comment on can tire's warranty but my duratracs have been great so far. I only put them on my trooper this summer but I've had some opportunities to put them through some mud and loose sand. They've been great. I also love the fact that they are nice quiet tires since this is my daily driver.

I did get stuck with them but it was in mud that was way deeper than the axels. I underestimated the depth of the puddle and ended up in deep shit. Tailpipe gurgling under water and water seeping in through the door. I had a come-along and some rope but nothing stout enough to tie up to.

Still I was able to dig it out a bit and throw some rocks in the mud. Thats all it took to get it out.

It was pretty funny. I had my 6yo son with me and we only got the trooper a few days earlier. I looked back at my son and said "Finn..."

He says " I know... Mommy can never know about this"

mikeboehm
08-28-2014, 11:11 PM
A coworker has the duratracs on his s10 zr2 and he likes them but he has gotten a few punctures with them already

Sofa King
08-28-2014, 11:20 PM
they do seem a little soft I was thinking.

REMINGTON JIM
08-29-2014, 12:59 PM
A coworker has the duratracs on his s10 zr2 and he likes them but he has gotten a few punctures with them already

We had a Puncture on a 10 ply GOODYEAR DURATRAC tire on a F150 this past june on the Chilko Lake road - truck was UNLOADED ! I plugged it in the campground - The rock that penetrated it should NOT have in my Opinion And i have a LOT of tire repair experience - I would not use the Goodyears on my own truck after seeing that ! :cry: JMO RJ

quaint bucket
09-01-2014, 01:25 PM
They are pretty awesome tires but yeah they definitely are too soft and easy to puncture apparently.

REMINGTON JIM
09-03-2014, 06:29 PM
They are pretty awesome tires but yeah they definitely are too soft and easy to puncture apparently.

HUH ? Not much Awesome about getting flat tires out in the Backcountry ! GoodYears SucK in MO ! :cry: RJ

quaint bucket
09-04-2014, 01:01 PM
I meant awesome as in, does well in snow, mud, off road, and on road manners. Just really soft and will puncture if you look at a rock the wrong way.