PDA

View Full Version : Giving up on my 5-4b group hunt......

Junmity
07-20-2014, 11:32 PM
Well.....

It sucks but what can you do.....

A very good friend of mine has been hunting 5-4 for over 30 years and the stars finally aligned for us to do a hunt together and then this happens.

I've got my fingers crossed that they will still give us a shot but probably not likely.

The good news is that we live in a province with such great GOS opportunities. Only problem is, I've never hunted them.

Any info on an August moose hunt would be appreciated!

My son just passed his core but he's going into high school this year so we don't want him to miss september class.

He was going to join for just 3 days but now that I'm not tied to draw dates we figured lets try an August hunt!

don't need honey holes just a point in a decent MU.

I'm pretty fit and set up with a 4x4 atv. Also very comfortable getting into the bush and off the road.

thanks in advance!!

Wentrot
07-21-2014, 07:16 AM
I am curious, have you heard anything at all since the draw was done? Have they even let you know when you can expect answers? Shame..

Elkaholic
07-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Dont count on school starting up in Sept. The teacher will be back on strike mark my words. Take the kid hunting. You get a better more useable education in the bush anyways.

markomoose
07-21-2014, 10:17 AM
I put in region 5-5 so I know how you feel.It sucks but people want to have an explanation at the end of the day?

smallfry14
07-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Yeah I'm with Elkaholic on this one. I'm a high school student right now and for the first week they just piss around, not getting much of anything done. I'm missing the first week of school to go hunting too:-D. That is, if it even starts up in time...

Junmity
07-21-2014, 11:41 PM
I hadn't considered that.... great point!

maybe we can extend the trip!!

Junmity
07-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Here is my email to LEH:

Hello,

Just wondering if you could give me some info on this Leh.

5-4b is only partially effected by the title ruling. Will this hunt be allocated to reflect the reduced size then run or will it be skipped this year all together.

I understand you are very busy but I would love to get a response.

Thank you,

Here is the response:
At this time we don't know when the results will be available nor specifics about each potentially affected hunt. I don't know the answer to your question regarding 5-04 Zone B right now. While it is apparent that the recent First Nations title decision will have some impact on hunting within the title area, we are unable to provide details on the extent of that impact. The Supreme Court of Canada decision was given fairly recently, on June 26, 2014, and the province is currently analyzing that decision. Once more information is available it will be provided through the Fish and Wildlife Branch website athttp://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/ or perhaps in the LEH section of our website athttp://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/leh.html#Status

The Hermit
07-22-2014, 12:15 AM
If I had a draw in the affected zones I would go to the band office and ask for permission of the land owners...

pg83
07-28-2014, 07:18 AM
If I had a draw in the affected zones I would go to the band office and ask for permission of the land owners...

Still need my LEH authorization from the MOE I'm assuming. I've hunted 5-04 my entire life and have property their as well. Hoping to get some info from my brother next week from the locals, but I'm not holding my breath on it this year.

markomoose
07-28-2014, 09:11 AM
A friend of mine went to the band office in Williams Lake where he was told they(the band) didn't want anyone hunting on their land.That pretty much sums it up IMO!

Eastbranch
07-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Ding ding ding. Ask them about their traditional practices and how to hunt in a way that respects their culture. It's time for BC hunters to sack up and see FNs as partners in resource management, not a barrier to opportunity. Does anyone really think their control of the moose harvest will decrease the population? They have been fighting for a more sustainable moose population in that area for 20 years. Don't give up, work harder!

srupp
07-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Sheesh when they slaughter moose regardless of numbers cows , calves, this was never about the moose it is however about wanting it all having been coddled and spoiled ...not a chance they will allow anyone to hunt anything they are strengthening their position...some logging trucks have been turned back..sad sad for Bc, a blight for Canada, and financially devestating for the Chilcotin..buissnesess are already at risk....

Steven

REMINGTON JIM
07-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Sheesh when they slaughter moose regardless of numbers cows , calves, this was never about the moose it is however about wanting it all having been coddled and spoiled ...not a chance they will allow anyone to hunt anything they are strengthening their position...some logging trucks have been turned back..sad sad for Bc, a blight for Canada, and financially devestating for the Chilcotin..buissnesess are already at risk....

Steven

Yup ! Sad it is and I Gotta agree with you Steven ! :icon_frow

Darksith
07-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Ding ding ding. Ask them about their traditional practices and how to hunt in a way that respects their culture. It's time for BC hunters to sack up and see FNs as partners in resource management, not a barrier to opportunity. Does anyone really think their control of the moose harvest will decrease the population? They have been fighting for a more sustainable moose population in that area for 20 years. Don't give up, work harder!
you truly are out to lunch, just as your location states!

REMINGTON JIM
07-28-2014, 12:32 PM

Really ! are you KIDDING us or what ? Your avatar should be " OUT TO LUNCH " as you are way out there ! :( RJ

markomoose
07-28-2014, 01:15 PM
My buddy went to the band office in Williams Lake and was told by band office they don't want anyone hunting on THEIR land!

Good2bCanadian
07-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Pretty much what I expected them to say.

Eastbranch
07-28-2014, 05:35 PM
If I'm the one thats out to lunch why do you guys (bc res hunters) keep getting banned from FN traditional territory? Maybe they arent the problem....maybe you are.

Gord
07-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Arctic Red...you must have an easy time in this life, with the logic that exists in your brain. Wow...I wish I could think like that, everything would be so easy. Try thinking of others and not just yourself for a change! Again, I'm jealous, wish I could go through life with that type of logic, so easy to think of numero uno.

Good2bCanadian
07-28-2014, 07:32 PM
I once tried buying firewood that was advertised on the reserve near Tofino.
As I drove in to find this advertised wood, I was not so politely asked to get the F off our land.

Thats an excellent way to do commerce with your neighbours.

Now as a white man, if I owned a store and I advertised firewood and a First Nations walked in and I told him to get the F outa my store, I wonder how that would go?

Darksith
07-28-2014, 07:58 PM
If I'm the one thats out to lunch why do you guys (bc res hunters) keep getting banned from FN traditional territory? Maybe they arent the problem....maybe you are.

just keep posting, all you are doing is cementing your current position/location.

It has everything to do with the lack of treaties signed...we don't keep getting banned...this is the first, thanks to the supreme court ruling. And if you ask them...the entire province is their traditional territory...but Im just wasting my breath on you

Whiterock
07-29-2014, 09:02 AM
My buddy went to the band office in Williams Lake and was told by band office they don't want anyone hunting on THEIR land!
Im curious about something.Is there an outfitter in the area? Has he paid the provence for the right to guide paying clients? What happens to him? Does he now pay the natives a trespass fee?

Eastbranch
07-29-2014, 09:49 AM
just keep posting, all you are doing is cementing your current position/location.

It has everything to do with the lack of treaties signed...we don't keep getting banned...this is the first, thanks to the supreme court ruling. And if you ask them...the entire province is their traditional territory...but Im just wasting my breath on you
Chilcotin, Nisga'a, Tahltan, Gitxsan, Wetsuweten. All have blockaded resident hunters at one time or another. What do you think a treaty is?

I've been neck deep in fish & wildlife management from 100mile to terrace to dawson city to fort mac to yellowknife, aklavik and sachs harbour and I can state without a hair of a doubt that the best management practices across the board have been delivered by FN groups. Sack up and get on board or keep losing out. If you guys hang on to your shit attitudes now there won't be a piece of land for you to pop a squat on let alone hunt on in ten years.

But I forget myself, cowboys from kamloops know best!

J_T
07-29-2014, 10:10 AM
In the seven kingdoms of Westeros, if you want access or privilege it was negotiated. One must offer something in return. In many cases, marriage was the sacrifice. Time to marry up to preserve your rights?

I sound like Jelvis......

markomoose
07-29-2014, 10:19 AM
Im curious about something.Is there an outfitter in the area? Has he paid the provence for the right to guide paying clients? What happens to him? Does he now pay the natives a trespass fee?
Yes there is an outfitter in that area.I won't post on his behalf but his handle is Chilcotin Hillbilly.He operates Skinner Creek Hunts.

REMINGTON JIM
07-29-2014, 10:32 PM
I've been neck deep in fish & wildlife management from 100mile to terrace to dawson city to fort mac to yellowknife, aklavik and sachs harbour and I can state without a hair of a doubt that the " best management practices across the board have been delivered by FN groups " :tongue: Sack up and get on board or keep losing out. If you guys hang on to your shit attitudes now there won't be a piece of land for you to pop a squat on let alone hunt on in ten years.

Phuck thats FUNNY ! :-D Never going to happen ! the WAR thats coming on will end all the problems ! :wink: RJ

sawmill
07-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Chilcotin, Nisga'a, Tahltan, Gitxsan, Wetsuweten. All have blockaded resident hunters at one time or another. What do you think a treaty is?

I've been neck deep in fish & wildlife management from 100mile to terrace to dawson city to fort mac to yellowknife, aklavik and sachs harbour and I can state without a hair of a doubt that the best management practices across the board have been delivered by FN groups. Sack up and get on board or keep losing out. If you guys hang on to your shit attitudes now there won't be a piece of land for you to pop a squat on let alone hunt on in ten years.

I call Bullshit on you AR.I lived in Hazelton/Terrace area for 23 years.The FN`s are definatly NOT good game managers.I have seen waste of salmon,moose shot and sold to the point where the season is only 6 days long now"Due to the vast underestimation of the impact of the native harvest"Direct quote from the 1998 hunting regs.

Gateholio
07-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Keep it clean please.

sawmill
07-31-2014, 03:14 PM
Yeah I know better,sorry Gate.Working in the sun at +38 ,my idiot tolerance gets pretty low.

Junmity
07-31-2014, 09:25 PM
Called in today and got some positive news!!! sounds like they may be close to a decision...

may be as early as tomorrow or early next week but it looks as though the main consideration will be the land title area being off limits and any areas that can only be accessed by going through the FN title area would likely be taken out as well.

I understand that those that have put in those areas may be given a refund.

the rest of us have a chance!!

fingers crossed!