PDA

View Full Version : Kitimat River - Fishing Reports

beeker
07-20-2014, 02:02 PM
I am thinking about heading out west next weekend to do some fishing with my wife. We are both fairly green when it comes to fishing the rivers for Salmon. Nevertheless, I have heard that the pinks and chums run up the Kitimat and can offer a good opportunity to gain some experience in catching some river fish.

Does anyone have any recent reports on the Kitimat?

Is next weekend too early for pinks in Kitimat?

Should we forget about the Kitimat and fish for Sockeye in Terrace? (if so, what type of gear / tackle is used for sockeye?)

*we will be fishing with ambassador 6500's equipped with 20lb braided line*

any advice / tips / suggestions on gear or techniques is also welcomed!

Thanks in advance,

Beeker

meesemoot
07-20-2014, 02:41 PM
I cannot fathom why you would drive past an area that is producing sockeye and you are allowed to keep two (or is it 4 yet?) to go another 40 miles for pinks that you are not allowed to keep and probably are harder to hook. Sockeye are the most sought after for eating quality, while pink and chum are tied for the worst of the salmon species. Same goes for fighting quality, an average pink may take a couple of short runs if you have fly gear, while a sockeye will run and jump much like a steelhead. However, if you are going to Kitimat for some other reason, or just to avoid the shit show around Terrace, I could see going there.

albravo2
07-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I'd throw back a dozen pinks to keep one sockeye.

Must be different up there, down here pinks don't run this year. Odd years only.

Springs are in the Cranberry and Kiteen and the Nass. I wouldn't drive to Terrace from PG, I'd stop along the way.

kilometers
07-20-2014, 05:03 PM
http://www.noelgyger.ca/current-fishing-reports.htm

Check out the reports scroll down to kitimat river or check the skeena and kalum

Caribou_lou
07-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Id go on the Skeena for sockeye . Lots in the river right now. Flossed some this morning! My friend caught 2 springs also. River is in great shape and should only get better.

beeker
07-20-2014, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the updates and advice guys!

Got a pretty cool offer via pm as well.

Anybody got any reports from Kitimat lately?

Beeker