PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Island Sockeye?

albravo2
07-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are there sockeye runs on the island rivers that open sooner than the Fraser River run? I have all next week off and would love to go fishing.

I've heard of good sockeye numbers up the Skeena and I'm watching for the Fraser opening dates but I figure that the north island would be hit well before the Fraser. I haven't been able to find a decent source of info.

I did check the DFO and the sockeye season runs from April 1-March 31 but that doesn't really help.

elkhunterette
07-19-2014, 07:59 PM
Quite a few sockeye being caught in Port Alberni.

albravo2
07-19-2014, 08:17 PM
On the chuck, or in rivers? The Stamp is the local river, right?

Jager
07-20-2014, 07:40 AM
River fishing for sockeye in alberni is on the tidal portion of the somass river.
Papermill dam is the spot. I've seen it shoulder to shoulder with anglers-good luck.

lorneparker1
07-20-2014, 08:10 AM
There is only one sockeye run on the island and its IN Port alberni. As mentioned if from shore papermill dam is the spot and it will be shoulder to shoulder. If by boat in front of china creek and Nahmint have been good for the last week.

kyleklassen
07-20-2014, 12:31 PM
hobiton and cheewhat have sockeye too.....open if your a brown guy

ratherbefishin
07-20-2014, 02:09 PM
There's sockeye off sooke,but no opening.By the time there's enough escapement in the Frazer to allow an opening,they often have already gone through Sooke.I don't know why they don't allow us to retain one as incidental catch

albravo2
07-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks everybody. I think it would have taken quite a while to gather that intel on line.

I'd sooner see a hungry griz than a bunch of other fishermen so I'll take a pass on Pt. Alberni. I've always wanted to explore over there but maybe not this next week.

lorneparker1
07-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Maybe I should have clarified the only fishable population open for retention is Port Alberni. Yes there are other small runs in other rivers throughout the island

Opinionated Ol Phart
07-24-2014, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=lorneparker1;1519615]There is only one sockeye run on the island and its IN Port alberni.

Nope-- you forgot the Nimpkish soxs