PDA

View Full Version : tent and such

chrismcd
07-18-2014, 07:34 PM
hey im about to head out solo, somewhere out in the bush and do some scouting, my question is what to do with my tent and other gear i dont need during the day. should i leave it up and hope no bears or people happen to stroll by, or take it down and stash it in the bushes, or take everything down in morning and carry it all with me? or another idea

thanks

Steeleco
07-18-2014, 07:47 PM
If you cache your food away from the tent your tent should be good, especially if your on foot and away from any roads.

hoochie
07-18-2014, 08:21 PM
^^
ya, your tent should be ok, people have always respected that, but the food you'll want to have away from it.

albravo2
07-18-2014, 09:29 PM
i've always found people that go to the effort of getting out into the woods are generally respectful of other people's campsites. i've never even thought of taking my tent down during the day.

jtred
07-18-2014, 09:41 PM
So far I haven't had any problems with leaving my tent up with my gear in it. I keep my food bag 50m at least away from my tent, downwind as much as possible.

adriaticum
07-18-2014, 09:43 PM
A basic rule of camping in BC is never to sleep where you live during the day, cook and do your dishes.
Your tent should be at least 100 feet away from where you cook.
I've never had problems with people stealing anything from my tent. But I never leave anything valuable in it.
Just a sleeping accessories usually.

chrismcd
07-18-2014, 10:54 PM
alright, cool guys, thanks for the tips

bigredchev
07-19-2014, 04:11 PM
i will say anything of value such as a chainsaw i always stash with the jerry can away from camp. Nobody wants a tent, but a nice new stihl is too good for some lousy people. Also, if the jerry cans sitting in camp it gives a clue a saw is close. Good luck scouting

J_T
07-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Depends entirely where you are going. What part of the province you live in/camp in. Different parts of the province have different ethics of respect. From both bears and humans.

Danielcan
07-19-2014, 06:34 PM
I've always felt if your tent is up and camp is set folks will leave it alone, but if you stash it and someone finds it they have no way to know how long it's been there. They might just collect it as garbage and set up their camp in your spot.