PDA

View Full Version : Pretty blatant...

ratherbefishin
07-18-2014, 01:06 PM
The good news is Sooke is swarming with coho,can't keep them off the gear.The bad news is they are what I call"hatchery unclipped",illegal to retain.We must have released a dozen of them,couldn't find a clipped coho ,legal to retain,for anything.

So much to my surprise back at the cleaning bench,there is a guide,with one nice spring(legal size)and three coho,all unclipped.What caught my initial attention was the coho,which I assumed were clipped,but clearly weren't.The guide didn't even bother to put them in his cooler,they were right out there for anybody walking by to see.That is pretty blatant....

07-18-2014, 01:18 PM
I know you must have, but did you double check the Retention? that bloody place changes like i change my underwear..
my dad always checkes before he goes,, so much so that he found Conflicting Slot size for Chinook on the same web site...

07-18-2014, 01:27 PM
Yep, definatly says no.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s20-eng.html#Salmon

not that i was questioning you.

Chopper
07-18-2014, 01:41 PM
Yep, definatly says no.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s20-eng.html#Salmon

not that i was questioning you.

Uhhmmm ... I don't see it saying no ... aaannddd retention of one wild coho is open , inside and out ... First time in years. If the guide had three guests on board he was aloud 3 wild coho

They have been open for over a month

07-18-2014, 01:44 PM
look at the dates

Chopper
07-18-2014, 01:49 PM
delete delete

Chopper
07-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Kinda weird ... in my DFO log book there is 19-E , 19-D , and 19-C , around the corner from Sooke harbour ... dosnt even show 19-1 ect

kinda surprised that wild Coho are closed down there right now ... when it open in the northern inside of the straight. They must be trying to protect a certain run

I would have to assume it would be illegal to fish the U.S side of the straight with a Canadian license

adriaticum
07-18-2014, 02:17 PM
I read somewhere thar wild coho are open

adriaticum
07-18-2014, 02:28 PM
The regs are so ****ed up. There are adjacent zones that have different regs. The guide may have come from a different area.

07-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Gone are the days when Regulations were what hey were.... Easy and the same every year..... Now DFO Gets int protecting certain Rivers..... lol in the other hand they Decide to destroy a Dam on Demamiel Creek that was the only thig keeping a comunity Coho run going.... I dont know if Sooke won that battle... i hope they did...

Moral of the story is,,,, Print the regs the day before you go.

Chopper
07-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Gone are the days when Regulations were what hey were.... Easy and the same every year..... Now DFO Gets int protecting certain Rivers..... lol in the other hand they Decide to destroy a Dam on Demamiel Creek that was the only thig keeping a comunity Coho run going.... I dont know if Sooke won that battle... i hope they did...

Moral of the story is,,,, Print the regs the day before you go.

I agree ... print your regs the day before

REMINGTON JIM
07-18-2014, 02:42 PM
With BULLSHIT so hard to read and follow Regs like that NO wonder illegal shit CAN happen ! :cry:

ratherbefishin
07-18-2014, 05:05 PM
This particular guide has been allegedly breaking the rules for a long time.I don't think I would bother with someone keeping a gill caught fish that was unlikely to survive anyway,but when someone comes back with several illegal fish,that's unlikely to be coincidence.As for knowing the law,a guide is SUPPOSED to know it

I totally agree with the comments on retention,especially when only a small fraction of hatchery fish even are clipped,but while I disagree with the law,what's the point of some people obeying the rules and others openly flouting them?

I also strongly agree with the comments on fisheries destroying the dam on Demanuel creek built with volunteer labour

lorneparker1
07-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Did you report him?

ratherbefishin
07-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Yup,I did.I doubt if charges will be laid,but the fisheries officer will have a chat with him

Piperdown
07-19-2014, 04:37 AM
Post him up!!!

Weatherby Fan
07-19-2014, 06:21 AM
Don't go Sports Fishing........Go Food Fishing then you can keep everything !

ratherbefishin
07-19-2014, 07:46 AM
The good news is the coho are back,probably like they were in the 90's.Hopefully we will see some easing on retention .
There were some years after the tit for tat salmon wars with the US when we had wall to wall nets 24 hours a day that resulted in whole runs being destroyed and it's only just coming back now.Thats what short sighted dumb government policy results in.Not much point fighting over fish if it results in no fish.A lot of small operators and fishing resort owners went out of business over that

Gr8 white hunter
07-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Could he or was his clients native? if so it's ok

ratherbefishin
07-19-2014, 08:09 PM
Nope,neither he nor his clients are FN.

andrewscag
07-23-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm down to looking online as I'm pulling away from shore :-/