PDA

View Full Version : New US Rules for Importing Dogs

kinderdoggin
07-18-2014, 11:41 AM
There are some new rules coming into effect on August 9th that Canadian breeders should be aware of, as it will affect the sale of puppies going into the US.

The US has decided that no dog will be allowed to enter the country without first being vaccinated for rabies, which must be followed by a 30 day waiting period. Since the rabies vaccine cannot be legally provided before 3 months old, this means that the youngest a puppy will be able to go to the US is 4 months of age (provided that it was vaccinated for rabies at 3 months).

I know there are several other breeders here who regularly place puppies with US buyers, and since this is a very new rule that I just found out about yesterday, I thought I should share it. I have 2 puppies from my current litter who are affected by this rule and their buyers have applied for an exemption (one of which was granted, the other we are still waiting to hear back on) but they did make sure to mention that exemptions are not going to be common going forward and that people should just expect to wait until the pup is 4 months old to bring it home. For those who do get an exemption, they are required to sign a confinement agreement which provides for criminal charges if the puppy is out in the general public prior to the end of the agreement. Obviously this is not great for us as Canadian breeders. For those of you with puppies on the ground and sold to US homes who are planning to pick them up or have them shipped on August 9th or later, I would suggest looking into this asap.

More info here: http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/dogs.html
and here: http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/lawsregulations/issuance-enforcement-guidance-dog-confinement-agreements.html#.U8hJlDxhsAo.email

Kasomor
07-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Thanks for posting... good grief...serious headache!! :-(

Foxton Gundogs
07-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Damn serious MIGRANE headache thanks for posting.

Iron Glove
07-19-2014, 09:20 AM
Interesting - I'll have to draw this to the attention of my Sister who has a large clientele in the US for her dogs.
I wonder tho' what is driving this? Is it truly a fear of rabies infected puppies getting into the US from Canada or might it be a bit of protecting the businesses of American Breeders?
Since the 90's there have been only 1 or 2 cases each year in the US of human death caused by rabies, almost always from wildlife, not dogs. Canada is not a "rabies free" Country although most confirmed cases of rabies in animals are from wildlife with relatively few from Dogs, and BC hasn't registered a case of canine rabies in years. Bats, yes, but not dogs.
Assume then that Breeders will have to keep the puppies for @ a month longer and incur increased costs ( passed on to the buyer ??? ) for food, shelter, the rabies shot, etc?
It's getting more and more difficult to enter the States - 40 years ago it was "Do you have any oranges with you, enjoy your trip", now it's "Do you have a dog, have you ever smoked dope, does your infant Grandkid have a Passport, is your name Abdul ............. ? Sorry Sir, you can't spend the day swimming at Birch Bay and Homeland Security wants to do a cavity search on you. And your dog."
We let our passports expire a few years ago, no longer have any desire to go across the border.

kinderdoggin
07-19-2014, 10:17 AM
It is not just Canada, they have made this restriction for any country that is not rabies free. Which I agree is very silly considering the US is also not rabies free! I am told that there were some rabid dogs imported from Russia or Afghanistan or something like that which triggered this move.

For breeders who normally placed puppies at 8 weeks, they will now be looking at delaying this until 4 months (puppy needs to be minimum of 3 months to get the rabies vaccine and then a 30 day waiting period after that before import is allowed). That is not something that a lot of buyers will be interested in because not only will they be looking at boarding and training charges for those two months, but it's also going to be more expensive to get the dog because most 4 months old are not going to be fitting under the seat in the cabin of the plane. Cargo is very restrictive because of flight routes, heat/cold, and because a lot of buyers just refuse to fly a dog cargo even if they are on the same plane (too many horror stories). Also breeders aren't going to be willing/able to keep a pile of puppies until 4 months old, at least I wouldn't want more than one or two per litter because it's a lot of freaking work to raise a puppy right and I would never just stick them in the kennel waiting to be picked up in a couple months. The whole situation sucks.

On the links that I posted, there is a process described where an importer can apply for an exemption, where they will be allowed to import the unvaccinated puppy but must agree to a binding confinement order where they keep the puppy in their own home with no access to the public or other dogs until 4 months of age (rabies vx at 3 months). Even with this excessive restriction, they are not allowing people to have this option frivolously. I have a litter set to go home only a few days after this rule goes into effect, and with 2 US buyers who already have travel arrangements booked/made- heart set on a puppy for the last year. Both applied to be exempt and follow the confinement agreement- one approved, one denied. So, I am feeling pretty sad and frustrated both for this buyer who is now out a puppy, and for all of the great US homes who have been hoping for a Canadian bred puppy and now just don't know how/if this is going to happen. Some will probably find a way to make it work for a 4 month old puppy but others are going to move on.

Whether it was intended to be American protectionism or not, that is the essentially the result, unless something changes.

Clint_S
07-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Well that seals the deal.
Selling to the US always was a pain in the butt with temperature restrictions and long layovers.
Used to drive to Spokane with a truck load a ship from there as it was easier in the long run but not anymore.

How stupid. As if puppies are primary transmitters of Rabies anyway.
Thanks for posting this.

Montana
07-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Bad regulation....very bad. I seriously doubt if U.S. breeders had anything to do with it. I try to keep up on regulations and this is the first I've heard anything about it... Just another bureaucratic mess up. Will it ever end? The governments are making it tougher and tougher for us (Americans and Canadians) to do business with each other, to visit, etc... Living just 30 miles from the border, I have a lot of friends in Canada... Years ago we used to meet at the border and have a weekend party in "no man's land" (a strip of land about 100 feet wide where ranchers used to meet to exchange cattle that had wandered over the border from what I understand). If you crossed the Canadian fence you were out of Canada, but not in the U.S. and if you crossed from the U.S. side you were out of the U.S., but not in Canada, or at least that's the way it was explained to me.. About 15 years ago the border patrol put a stop to our gathering... It had been going on for years and years and years....It was very harmless... We'd have a few beers, play some music, eat a lot, play horseshoes, etc... The governments are creating all kinds hoops for both sides to jump through....why? I don't know, but it's become a huge headache...

Jimsue
08-23-2014, 10:26 PM
the rule has been revised as per the AKC web site, I don't know how to link to the info

Foxton Gundogs
08-23-2014, 11:18 PM
I couldn't find it Jim what did you look under?

kinderdoggin
08-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Yes Jimsue, please post a link if you could, I have not heard of any revisions. Although I did read that the USDA added a new rule about not allowing the import of puppies intended for resale until they are 6 months old (luckily I don't think that one is going to be a huge issue, I assume most of us are selling puppies to competitors/hunters/pet owners and not to brokers intending to resell them.)

Kasomor
08-25-2014, 08:01 AM
The must be at least four months old and vaccinated with rabies at 12 weeks still stands to import a dog into the USA for personal use.

The USA has also added a must be at least 6 months old vaccinated for rabies to import a dog into the USA for resale. This is intended to stem the tide of offshore pups being bred for the "rescue" market in the USA.

Iron Glove
08-26-2014, 10:05 AM
Had a chat today with my Sis who has been a Championship breeder of various breeds for maybe 40 years, starting with a retriever, then a Canadian Working Dog, now a little rug rat yappy breed. :)
She was well aware of the rules, hasn't sold many to the States lately and now probably won't at all. Her Vet strongly suggests that with the small breeds the rabies shot not be until at least 6 months which would pretty well eliminate exporting them. She suggested that Canada should enact strict regs for US dogs coming North as that's where many of the puppy mills are.
She has sold to Hong Kong where the dog has to be 6 months old.
She also said that CKC is working on the situation but no idea if or when there will be any results.

Foxton Gundogs
08-26-2014, 02:50 PM
She also said that CKC is working on the situation but no idea if or when there will be any results.

Moving with blinding glacial speed no doubt, as is their habit. I won't hold my breath.

Iron Glove
08-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Moving with blinding glacial speed no doubt, as is their habit. I won't hold my breath.

Sis said basically the same but not quite as eloquently as you. :wink: