PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Private Land in Region 8 for August Bear Season

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Hey Everyone!

I grew up in Logan Lake, and that's where I still do the majority of my hunting, but I'm interested in the August black bear season in Region 8. The only catch is it's on private land only.

Does anyone here own land (ranch/farm/orchard) in Region 8 that you wouldn't mind letting me hunt on for August bear? If not, does anyone KNOW anybody who might let me?

Thanks in advance for your help!

boxhitch
07-18-2014, 10:39 AM
The intent of that opening is to help out orchardists with problem fruit picking pests.
Maybe BC Fruit Growers can help

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-18-2014, 10:42 AM
Thanks, boxhitch- I'll give that a try!

I figure there's GOT to be somebody with problem bears- someone who doesn't really enjoy bear meat like I do!

bigredchev
07-18-2014, 10:43 AM
An orchard bear must taste amazing, fruit fed its whole life. Let's us know how this unfolds

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-18-2014, 10:50 AM
That's my thought, too, bigredchev!

OK, I called the BC Fruit Growers, but the mailbox was full, so I sent an email. I'll for sure let you guys know how this pans out!

Steeleco
07-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Have you considered the "Outdoor passport", it's a BCWF program. You can find links to it here, they must have a list of land owners that will allow hunters access.

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Thanks Steeleco! I'm looking into it now. It doesn't look like they actually provide lists- it's more geared towards educating people on the proper approach to ask landowners permission to hunt on their property and providing insurance. The onus is still on the hunter to find and contact the landowner. Still though, this can't hurt!

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-21-2014, 10:48 AM
No reply from the Fruit Growers, but I'm trying out some other ideas. I'm still open to any other suggestions any of you may have!

bruin
07-21-2014, 11:21 AM
I have a good sized bear (probably not the only one) eating my corn field outside of Salmon Arm if you're interested!

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Hey Bruin! I am definitely interested, but for the August hunt it needs to be in region 8. Salmon Arm is just on the border there. Is it safely in 8, or would I be running into region 3 on your land?

bruin
07-21-2014, 11:39 AM
How about September or October?

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-21-2014, 11:41 AM
Oh ya, I'd for sure still be interested then. I usually hunt around Logan Lake, and don't have problems filling my tags, but if the offer is there, I'd likely take you up on it!

I was looking specifically for August because there's an opening there for R8, and I'm waaaaay too impatient. I don't feel like waiting till September to go hunting!

bruin
07-21-2014, 11:45 AM
Will send PM with info

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Great! Thank you- I'll watch for it.

bcfarmer
07-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Come to Keremeos, (probably same in orchards in Okanagan) most orchards against the mtn have problem bears and our Indo-Canadian farmers really don't like them. Just stop in at any of the fruit stands and ask for the owner....ask if they have bear problems on their orchard. Mid to late August is best....when the greenery is burnt off mid to high level.....bears come down for the fruit.

BCF

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Great tip, BCF- I'll give that a try. I'll maybe try calling them first though. It's a bit of a drive from Maple Ridge to go up just to be told it's a no-go!

walks with deer
07-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Go for a nice summer drive.

I doubt they are nearly as responsive on phone.

How will you get the bear home in a timely fashion.

Region 8 to maple ridge is 4 hours of heat best case scenario from time you harveat animal.

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-21-2014, 12:46 PM
You're probably right, WWD. A weekend drive would be nice anyway.

The guy who I take my game to is in Chilliwack- if I get the hide off right away, I figure it should be OK till then (3 hours).

j270wsm
07-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Quarter the bear and put it in coolers loaded with frozen 4l milk jugs.

Steeleco
07-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Thanks Steeleco! I'm looking into it now. It doesn't look like they actually provide lists- it's more geared towards educating people on the proper approach to ask landowners permission to hunt on their property and providing insurance. The onus is still on the hunter to find and contact the landowner. Still though, this can't hurt!

The local CO's office may have a list of land owners that have called in complaints. I recall hearing of such a list for Elk in the Kootneys a few years back.

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Using a few coolers is a good idea. Worst case scenario is I try to find someone in the area ahead of time who would be able to process the meat. It just happens that Steeleco sent me a great list of meatcutters!

And thanks Steeleco- I found 3 COs up there- emailed them, and I'll follow up with a phone call tomorrow if I haven't heard back!

Stone Sheep Steve
07-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Those bears can eat a pile of grapes in one night. Contact vineyard owners as well. End of august would be best when grapes are more ripe.

SSS

wiggy
07-22-2014, 06:48 PM
Seen a couple monsters come out of the orchards in the OK. Put a add in the Capitol news or one of the valley papers. Phone the fruit orchards. Someone will call or bite?
I got asked to take care of a few. Not my style but I've eaten some pretty tasty bear that did get smoked. The one big one just broke the branches off the trees and gourged. I think the owner of the orchard said he was taking out 40lbs of plums a day. He weighed over 500ibs. Fat pig lol . Good old fashioned slug took care of that. They asked me cause I like to hunt with a bow and crossbow besides rifle hunting.

I'd Rather Be Hunting
07-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys! I did hear back from one CO today. He was a super great guy and gave me some more ideas. I'll be driving up to the area in the coming weeks to do some door knocking, but it does seem as though there are going to be people who are receptive! I'll keep you posted.